Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2011, 07:50 PM
Artful
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member

Hiya Lads and Lasses

Im hopefully going to be getting myself a Subaru of some description this year at some point. Just wanted to introduce myself and say that I will be prowling around the site for a bit and getting to know what I should be looking for etc.

So far I've managed to work out that the whole service issue is just a myth and that Subaru's are really no more expensive than any other decent car out there to service. Fuel has never really been a massive issue for me as I only do approx 5 - 6k miles a year.

The Scoob (hopefully an STi around 03 or 04) is going to be my everyday car so I was just wondering how many of you guys use your cars as an everyday runaround and how many miles are you clocking up annually?

No doubt there will be many many more questions to come but its good to be here and I'll start browsing all the threads now
Old 10 February 2011, 08:06 PM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

Welcome

I use mine daily do about 11,000 miles a year a today prices I put on average £180 a month in v power or tesco 99.

When you do buy one make sure you get FSH make sure cambelt is changed at 50k or 5 year, done the 60k service on mine its a big one at about £500.

Lots of good advice on here will help you save a few pounds on servicing and maintenance.
Old 10 February 2011, 08:25 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Wecome aboard,

So far I've managed to work out that the whole service issue is just a myth and that Subaru's are really no more expensive than any other decent car out there to service.
That could be true but does not discount the obscene amounts of cash that one can find one's self pouring into the car because she's worth it lol.
All the best with your quest, hope to see you around the place and some pictures once you've sourced a vehicle that ticks all the boxes for you.

regards

Tim
Old 11 February 2011, 12:46 PM
Artful
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the welcome guys.

As I said, I'll probably be asking a lot of questions (some might be pretty stupid so bare with me )

Im currently a member of the Accord Type R forums as thats the car I have at the moment. A good forum is worth its weight in gold and this seems to be a very informative place.

I've owned the ATR for a trouble free 3 years now but my 2nd or 3rd midlife crisis is kicking in and getting my hands on a Subaru is now on my things to do before I die list.

My question for today is this....

WRX or WRX STi?? Apart from looks inside and out, what are the differences? I love the look of the STi but I will wait a while before I decide what model is best for me.

cheers Dave
Old 11 February 2011, 02:02 PM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

Ive got a my03 uk sti which you get 6 speed gearbox brembo brakes and more power than the wrx 221bhp as opposed to sti 261 bhp although mine has ppp ( prodrive pack) which add more power so you get 305bhp (remap and prodrive exhaust)at the factory.

The japanese(jdm) car will give you more power and are better cars standard but they will be more expensive.

How much are you looking to spend will determine what you buy?.
Old 11 February 2011, 02:13 PM
Artful
Scooby Newbie

Brilliant, cheers for the reply, that explains a lot. Its looking like I will be trying for an STi.

Not sure about budget yet. Need to see what they are all going for.

Dave
Old 11 February 2011, 02:34 PM
craigybaby
Scooby Regular

I'm also a newbie mate picked up my blobeye wrx yesterday and I love it I think the biggest shock was when I put 20quid in petrol in and it went up to quarter of a tank lmfao but trust me mate you wont regret it everyone stares in admiration and I don't know if it's just me but people seem to let me out of junctions etc more ofton than when I had my Vxr

Trending Topics

Old 11 February 2011, 02:40 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Artful
some might be pretty stupid
You'd be surprised by the depths of stupidity that can be accomplished by some on here

Welcome
Old 11 February 2011, 03:35 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome

You are right, a good forum is very handy. This is a great place, well I think so anyway Lots of very helpful enthusiasts and also some pro's as well that will always try to help out.

As far as the WRX vs STi, it does depend what you want. The WRX will be more forgiving and still a very nice car. The STi is a different beast with lots of differences, a quick search will throw up threads where they are listed

Last edited by Pink_Floyd; 11 February 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11 February 2011, 03:56 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

not that im an expert but as i found with my WRX-S if you want to Mod an 08 WRX its more costly due to it not having the STI bits n Bobs, as i was told by 2 of the most respected guys on here for tuning the STI has bigger things on it better brakes larger intercooler etc, so Modding it is easier.

Unsure if thats same for older models but i hazard a guess at it is.

Also as i found if your looking at Both if u buy a WRX youll always think you should have got an STI.

buy what you can afford ok but STI if it was me or save up

the guys on here will give you proper advice over my crap LOL
Old 11 February 2011, 04:21 PM
Artful
Scooby Newbie

All great comments and all very helpful.

Im not a great one for modding. I usually keep my cars pretty standard give or take a K&N Typhoon here and there. Thats mainly the reason for wanting an STi. It seems to come pre-modded as standard
Old 11 February 2011, 04:53 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

good stuff, Just ask on here m8 before you add anything, as ive sen on here dont attack the car like a Nova or Astra like the raceboys do and add big bore exhaust and air filters anything that can change the fuel mix can or may damage the engine.

There tuned beasts so be careful.

the guys on here will steer you though there a good bunch.
Old 11 February 2011, 05:00 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

A heavy Subaru always needs a few more bhp !

The WRX is a nice family friendly car, the STI is a more focused device, mine gradually metamorphosed over the last nine years into a 400 bhp "toy" but still does the run to work and back everyday.

Nicer interior, better brakes and stiffer suspension, plus six speed box and more power...

Welcome to poverty

dunx
Old 11 February 2011, 05:11 PM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

I've got an 03 WRX modded to around the 270bhp mark which is my daily driver. I now cover about 9k miles a year however have covered 29k since I bought it 15 months ago and it's perfect as an every day car.

Do I wish I'd bought an STI? Only when I come onto SN and everyone tells me I should have done lol. When I drive mine it puts a smile on my face and has more than enough power for normal driving situations and the odd spirited drive.

Am I going to buy an STI? Of course lol
Old 11 February 2011, 05:25 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SN dude
Old 11 February 2011, 06:06 PM
Artful
Scooby Newbie

Thanks again for the welcome lads. A lot to ponder.

Might look for a WRX with STi styling to keep the bills down a bit
Old 18 February 2011, 12:42 AM
duckson
Scooby Regular

Or alternatively a nice GB270 (WRX PPP with some Prodrive extras)....mines for sale, standard, low mileage and mint.

I test drove a STI and bought this instead.
Old 18 February 2011, 01:17 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm using mine daily and it's an early (v2 555) sti and on most days I'm covering over 100 miles in the 3 months I've been using it daily instead of the M3 I've covered over 2,500 miles! I did 4 hours in it today across London and the same the day before.

Thay are good cars but they aren't cheap to run and that's all.