Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anyone driven an IS 200 ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2001, 12:53 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious as to how well they drive, power, any other issues ?
Cheers
Andy
Old 21 March 2001, 01:01 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Aren't they about 150bhp? They seem to be driven by lots of women here in the weybridge area.

I'll get me coat.

ps. I haven't driven one.
Old 21 March 2001, 01:14 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Andy,

Maxwell Straker who posts on here has got one. I'll ring him and get him to post his opinion.

blubs
Old 21 March 2001, 01:18 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Andy P - the IS200 (sport) is nice to drive, not a great deal of power but sounds great (V6) anyhowz I'd describe it as 'nippy'. One thing though, lots of toys included as standard and extremely comfortable for long journeys. Fuel consumption is about average, 30-35 mark.

Hope this helps, Alex
Old 21 March 2001, 01:23 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Arrow

My step father has one, which I choose for him when he became eligiable for a company car (anything to stop him getting a BMW 318 )

not a bad car at all, 150 bhp , 6 speed box, heavy on the rear tyres, loads of toys inside, get the Sport model as it comes with a LSD. In other markets it comes with a bigger engine, so it may be worth looking at Jap imports, or asking the dealer if more powerful models are on the way.

Edited to say thats its got an inline 6 not a V6, very smooth

[This message has been edited by Paul Wilson (edited 21 March 2001).]
Old 21 March 2001, 01:26 PM
Martin Cook
Scooby Regular

Wink

I drove one before I got the Scoob. Drives nice but under powered therefore always changing gear etc
Straight 6 engine excellent though!

Martin
Old 21 March 2001, 01:36 PM
Aksan
Scooby Regular

Paul

I think you're right about a bigger engine. I read somewhere about a month ago that a 3 litre version would be available in the UK soon. Dunno when.

A
Old 21 March 2001, 01:45 PM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I drive the IS200 because I prefer the finer things in life (comment to wind up blubs and geezer). I love it to bits.

I generally agree with the above comments on that it could do with 50 more BHP but lets face it which car couldn't. Mine is the S, it has all the toys apart from sat nav and the LSD as standard. It is the most comfortable and relaxing car to drive I have ever had, it will wag the tail when provoked and is nicely controllable

One word of caution though......it is quite probably the worst car ever for driving in snow or ice. The traction control works, like most, by applying the brakes to the spinning wheels. In the snow you try and pull away in second or third and use low revs, the wheels spin, the brakes apply and because of the low revs the car stalls....very fustrating. (I guess a well worn set of Potenza's didn't help but it was only mildly better with a brand new set of Continentals this morning)

Other than this, frankly, minor irritation, I would recommend it to anyone over an equivalent BMW or C class or A4 but if you were going from Scoob you would find it pedestrian but outstanding build quality.

An additional comment, when you...ahem...pull on the handbrake when moving (allegedly )a warning note rings out that is the same noise as pressing the stewardess button on a plane, many endless hours of amusement with that on a long journey with Geezer in the passenger seat (NOT)

I hope this helps
Old 21 March 2001, 01:57 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice car - I looked at one as a Co. car option (however the Co2 emissions on a 6 cylinder car can get a little heavy). It's got all the toys you could ever want - goes well for a 150bhp car and is extremly well priced (try specing up a BMW 320 to the same level...). Very comfortable, although not masses of room if you are over 6ft tall. There is an IS300 version coming out which does have an 3 litre V6 engine, or you can get a 2litre 4 cylinder turbo version on import from Japan - this pushes out 200 bhp.

Chris
Old 21 March 2001, 02:30 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

What ever you call it, its still a Toyota, and an over priced one at that !!
Old 21 March 2001, 02:32 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi,

I had an IS200 Sport for my co car before I got the Scooby. I drove it for about 15000 miles and in that time it drove and behaved impeccably. I can't really add much more to the comments, apart from the fact that it was a bit underpowered (153 BHP), you could provoke the tail end out relatively easy, and I thought it was quite thirsty (approx 29mpg), but that was until I got the scooby !!

Other than that, it was relaxing to drive long distances, had all the fruit you could ever need (apart from trip computer) and even had a useless button that zeroed the clock. I think this was in response the now famous Bright Button on the Scooby!

Someone mentioned the IS300, that is due on our shores soon enough. This is the engine that is fitted to the car in the USA, as they would never have bought a 2 litre. Hopefully, it should have the required poke, and I believe they are releasing an estate version which looks quite smart.

I would certainly have another one. (With more oomph. I think in Japan they have a 230bhp turbo nutter 4 cylinder engine...)

Jamie
Old 21 March 2001, 03:02 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that guys. Great feed back as ever.
A part of me see's me driving one of these........one day !
I don't know if I can sell the Scoob though,
we are enjoying our relationship immensley,
Cheers,
Andyp
Old 21 March 2001, 06:16 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Thumbs up

Good car, my dads got one. Not much power but handles well

IS300 should be out in the summer in both Estate (156 style) and Saloon. The Straight 6 3litre is from the N/A Supra.

The quick Japanese version (Altezza RZ)is a 2litre VVT-I with 200PS

Regards

Iain
Old 21 March 2001, 06:47 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by barge:
<B>What ever you call it, its still a Toyota, and an over priced one at that !![/quote]

Yep it may be a Toyota, but the build quality is still far better than that of a scoob (and yes I do own a scoob, and yes I used to own a Toyota )

Old 21 March 2001, 06:50 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
IS300 out soon.. smooth BMW beeting Jap car... Can't beat a flat four though
Old 21 March 2001, 07:31 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

Had one on test last summer for the weekend. Peformance down on scoob, interior better with lots of toys. Had an interesting moment when the accelerator pedal jammed on full throttle probably caused by the mat. Later heard that other people have also had this problem.
Old 21 March 2001, 09:35 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

Merlin,

it seems like the "mat jam" is a common problem that Lexus won't admit to. Not very sensible considering the image that they are trying to portray (as in, the car is perfect)!

mb