Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Promixity Sensor (and your opinion! neede)

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2001, 11:25 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After having my scoop nicked a couple of times. I'm interested in the pretentive meanes of having me scoop not nicked again thank you very much.
Now the options are:
a) Front mounted intercooler. @ £2000 with Sport bonnet(no offence to Sports), no thanks on grounds of costs.
b) Some half **** sheet metal (or Nissan Bluebird rear vents on a block of wood (one of my mates' idea)) concoction in place of the standard Scooby scoop.
c) Promixity sensor upgrade to the alarm (already Cat 1) on the car to prevent further mischief to the Scooby.
Guys with this type of security: does it work?

Do Promixity sensor upgrades to alarms work? - You opinion is required.

[This message has been edited by Miles (edited 18 March 2001).]
Old 19 March 2001, 12:11 AM
KF
Scooby Regular

I don't know if a proximity sensor is going to help you. I would consider speaking to your friendly local alarm installer, about adding another external trigger that is connected to a microswitch on a piece of plastic running on the underside of the leading edge of the scoop. That way, as soon as someone grabs the scoop the alarm will go off- and if it doesn't, as soon as the switch is pulled oout and the wire breaks (switch attached to scoop - see) it certainly will go off.
KF.
Old 19 March 2001, 12:52 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I had a proximity sensor on my last car and it worked okay, was not the talking one, it just chirped and set the alarm off if you didn't move on.. had full adjustment from about 3 metres from drivers and passengers door to 1 inch from door (peering in)
But this depends on where you are in relation to the car..
9 times out of ten if someone sets off a car alarm and the owner is not within ear shot the thief will ignore it and carry on regardless... someone may even approach and if he said for example (locked my keys in it mate and carried on they'd ignore this)
if you are near it then it might be a good idea...
Otherwise Tracker sounds good, although there seems to be the idea of not advertising that it is fitted, as they then look for it and it may get your car back (you might not want it back damaged) and get someone nicked, but doesn't stop your car getting nicked in the first place.
How about an alarm that pages you?
Or a separate kill switch fitted in the car which cuts the power to the starter or fuel pump (discussed on here a while back)...
Or a wheel clamp... or if packed on the drive a barrier/bar that locks car in...
Old 19 March 2001, 12:54 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Wink

Sorry I read Scoop as Scoob... so most of my reply is stopping the whole thing being nicked...

How did they manage to get that off.... thief b*stards!!

Old 19 March 2001, 11:02 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Proximity sensors seem to work. I was rather startled when an Audi barked at me to move away from it. I was standing a foot or 2 from it on the pavement outside my old work place. It activated after 20-30 seconds.

Couldn't tell you what make of alarm it was, but they do seem to work. How much of a deterrant to thieving scum is another matter.

Jerome.
Old 19 March 2001, 11:38 AM
sgould
Scooby Regular

I have proximity sensors on my Clifford. Complete waste of time I would say.
It gets set off by cats which always causes you to run to the door and check you car. After a while you just can't be bothered to keep checking. If someone was going to nick your car they wouldn't care about these as the alarm would activate hopefully if the windows were broken.

The best thing is tint your windows, then 1) they can't see in very well and 2) its harder to break the windows.
And also add Full Tracker, then if your car was nicked they wouldn't get very far before the fuzz was on there tail.
Old 19 March 2001, 11:38 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Can get them as add ons, not alarm make specific.

Some have loads of zones and stuff like
someone walks too close, quiet beep or buzz
someone gets within 6" or so, "please step away, vehicle alarmed"
someone stays to long "alarm will sound in 10 seconds, please move away"
when the person moves away "thankyou"

the only problem you may get is that the kids will have fun with it, or complete ***** will take offence, and do some damage.
Who are you trying to keep away?

robski
Old 20 March 2001, 12:45 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

how about some razor blades cut down and glued strategically in place inside the scoop.....then as the thieving scum gave it a tug... hey presto no fingers...

two advantages, one they don't steel your scoop, two they don't steel anyone elses.

and I'm sure the blood would wash off the bonnet..

Dave
Old 20 March 2001, 12:59 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Wink

I was thinknig something similar on the way home last night Dave.

But how about two bars under the scoop which are about half inch apart and one wired to the positive battery terminal the other to the negative terminal. Theif places finger between the two...

I know it is illegal to do this to the door handles as I wanted to do it and enquired.
But if you mounted them under the scoop they are putting there hand into the engine bay... what do they expect...
might find they kick the car in...
how about a movement triggered web cam style camera...
Someone here at work just paid £130 for a cordles camera that puts the picture straight on to your TV and you just record it with a video recorder....
Old 20 March 2001, 01:53 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Angry

JGM or I can I call you "Jolly" , it's quite common for scoops to go missing in Aberdeen. At the alarm installers, they mentioned of one 5dr Turbo driver whose lost 3 scoops... The thieves stand on the bonnet and just yank off the scoop. The first time it happened to me they managed to snap the scoop into three bits

The type of promixity sensor that they had (sorry - can't remember the make) was £150 and offered the beep or the voice (and also off!). So at least when I'm at home the cat have a night in peace curled up on the bonnet!

Although the green scoop I have at the moment on the car (silver) is doing a good job of not being nicked - probably because it looks a bit scruffy for the discerning thief.

I'm not keen on electrocuting criminals as they probably vandalise the car in revenge, don't fancy a bust scoop and all the glass on the car broken
Old 20 March 2001, 03:23 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Cool

You can call my Jolly well what you like m8!

Camera might be a good idea though!

How are they held on, could you not make a quick release one and take it off over night?
Old 20 March 2001, 05:25 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jolly Green Monster:
<B>But how about two bars under the scoop which are about half inch apart and one wired to the positive battery terminal the other to the negative terminal. Theif places finger between the two...
[/quote]12 volts wouldn't do anything, you need to rig up a big capacitor...

Old 20 March 2001, 08:00 PM
Iain
Scooby Regular

I have a proximity sensor and pager on mine.
as everyone says they do get set off by everything. Even cars going by next to it.

The sensor is either too high ( so passers by and traffic set it off) or too low ( only when the windaes are entered ).

You can set mine up so that it warns people if they are too close ( yep it's a talker) and then goes off after a period of time / car entered. It sounds like an amusement arcade when it goes off though.

Think carefully before getting one, as the wrong one can be annoying.
Old 20 March 2001, 08:40 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Jolly: Thought about this too, but my diy skills are too crap to accomplish anything that would be satisfactory. Plus can't be bothered with yet another thing to remove from the car at night.

DavidRB: I realise that 12v won't damage a villan, only irritate them and I don't want to **** them off in case of revenge attacks.

Iain: What model of sensor do you have?