ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

P1 Owners - Deflectors (Group Buy)

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2001, 08:37 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

After 3 weeks and 1200 miles of ownership the number of white marks appearing on my car is increasing, they are not confined to the front of the vehicle either. It would appear that if anything larger than a grain of sand hits my car at speed a lasting impression will be left. I have considered Amourfend but they do not cover the entire bonnet, roof, rear wings or doors. However I have found another solution.

Deflector shields: A Manipulatable energy forcefield or shield that can be generated around space vessels and other facilities for protection from natural hazards and enemy weaponry. Transporters are generally not useable when deflector shield are in place.

Apparently you can get them from a company called Starfleet which from what I can make out is a subsidiary of the United Federation of Planets (probably owned by Microsoft). I managed to get hold of some technical data about this product and it appears to be powered by something called a Warp core (what the hell that is I don't know), but I'm sure there must be an electrician out there that can convert it to work of a 12V battery.

I've not managed to get my hands on any prices yet but I get the feeling they could be pretty expensive.

If there is enough interest I will get in contact with the suppliers and get some more information.

On a more serious note, has anyone else had similar experiences with debris hitting their car. If so is there any hope of getting these done under warranty or is this one of the quirks of P1 ownership. I really dont like the idea of booking my car into the bodyshop every 6 months to get the marks repaired.

Regards
Paul

[This message has been edited by paulmon (edited 20 March 2001).]
Old 20 March 2001, 10:31 AM
Martin Stirling
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

'Fraid Armourfend is going to be your best bet. As far as I know, they provide it for all the most vulnerable areas of the car (bumper, front of bonnet, rear wing, arches etc) As you say it's either that or getting it resprayed every few months!

I think everyone has the same problem.

MS
Old 20 March 2001, 11:14 AM
BryanC
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'm getting exactly the same problem with mine matey - I've had mine for about 6 months now, it's just coming up on the 7.5K mark, and the front end looks like someone has taken a shotgun to it.

Not impressed - it never happened with my MY99...

I've spoken to my dealers, and they're considering respraying, AND amourfending it under warranty.
Old 20 March 2001, 01:37 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I've just had a great idea, heres the cheapest and most effective way to save the front end... pop down B&Q and buy a pot of Hammerite and paint all forward facing painted surfaces.. bound to help

Seriously though, armourfend it!

Rgds, Alex
P1 owner
Old 20 March 2001, 03:42 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

From what I gather this is simply a perk of P1 ownership.

Apparently, the P1 is so desirable that even the dirt prefers it to normal imprezas, and hence the car is highly susceptible to flying debris.

I can only attribute this to the highly individual shape of the P1.

Surely it must be covered under warranty?

Once again guys, ad you bought a wrx sti type r this would not have happened.

Food for thought.
Old 20 March 2001, 04:00 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Adam M:
<B>

Once again guys, ad you bought a wrx sti type r this would not have happened.

Food for thought.[/quote]

Adam,

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you come to this conclusion.

Regards
Paul

[This message has been edited by paulmon (edited 20 March 2001).]
Old 20 March 2001, 04:06 PM
BryanC
Scooby Regular

I think I agree with Adam.

Having closely examined the damage to the front of the car with my dealer when I took it in to make the warranty claim - the damage only appears on the bits which Prodrive added. The paintwork which arrived with the car from Japan is undamaged - it's only the lip spoiler, and the surrounds on the Hella driving lamps where the paint is falling off.

It appears to be the same issue that we all had with the spoilers - the paint is crap, and wants to leave the surface it's been put on at it's earliest convenience...

Marvellous....

The only up side of having a P1 instead of the Type R is I have a warranty for this sort of sh*t....