Sponsored by:

Fitting a carbon front strut brace to a Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2011, 05:45 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting a carbon front strut brace to a Hawk

I just fitted a carbon front strut brace to my Hawkeye and am wondering if anyone else has found that the air-con pipe and bracket are an obstacle. I had to modify the bracket and sleeve the air-con pipe to be on the safe side, as it has to pass the strut in very close proximity to the bolts which secure the plate which bolts on to the turret fixing points. It doesn't seem to be an issue on pre Hawk, new age cars as the pipes are routed elsewhere. I have to admit I almost had heart failure when I first laid the strut on to the turrets, as it looked like it might have to go back to where I bought it, due to it fouling on the passenger side pipework ect.

Regards

Tim
Old 08 January 2011, 09:01 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

yep. had to slightly bend the bracket so it didnt hit the bar. check it once a month so the pipe isn't rubbing against the brace. last thing i want to do is have to replace an air con pipe.
Old 09 January 2011, 12:56 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

I think maybe the cars vary slightly in relation to the pipework and maybe the struts depending on manufacturer are different angles off the turrets. There is no way I could simply bend the bracket to get enough clearance and certainly didn't fancy having to lock-ring another piece of pipe on if I snapped the original and then the chore of dropping gas back into the system.

I put my bracket back on back to front, having re bent the arm which fixes to the rubber mount so it faced 180 degrees in the opposite direction, which means the arm comes off the bottom of the bracket instead of the top. I also cut a length of clear PVC pipe longways and opened it up, then wrapped the air-con pipe with it to protect it and make the job one that requires no consideration beyond actually having done it.

Old 09 January 2011, 12:58 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't see an FHI or Subaru sticker on the strut brace, is it an OEM item?

Just curious

Shaun
Old 09 January 2011, 01:15 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Got it from revolution247, their Subaru site and I'm pondering the need for a sticker lol.