Sponsored by:

steamy windows hawkeye

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2011, 03:04 PM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steamy windows hawkeye

being new to scooby problems i have started to notice my impreza steams up after i am out of it. It starts at the bottom of the rear window and slowly steams up the whole car glass, so when i go out15 mins later i have to demist it.
Is this the cars way of telling me the aircon needs regassing? or is it something more serious?
Old 08 January 2011, 03:09 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Open boot, remove spare wheel and see if you have a pool of water in the well! My classic used to do this. Combination of dodgy light seals and dodgy boot seal!
Old 08 January 2011, 03:10 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like you have moisture in the car,either from a seal leaking, heater matrix maybe leaking,rear lites maybe leaking etc

check the carpets for wetness etc and go from there,test with a hose the boot seal etc,put some paper down and see if any water lands on it after a good soaking
Old 08 January 2011, 03:42 PM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

no water in the spare wheel, not really any signs of water in the boot apart from what runs of the rear wing when i open the boot, which does seem to dampen the inner rear wing bootliner, seems to be traces of condensation on the inner bootlid. also water seems to run off the boot lid iand sits against the outer seal of the boot. still none of this seems to point to massive dampness in the boot.
if it were the heater matrix i would expect a puddle of water in the front footwells but again no sign of any
Old 08 January 2011, 04:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Check the air input..do you have it on fresh air, or recirculate? It should be on fresh air, NO aircon will totally dry the moist air you give off in this weather.
Old 08 January 2011, 04:39 PM
silverfox72
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't be to bothered about it. My Hawkeye is the same in this weather, its the getting on and out with wet feet thing that doesn't help. I try to use the aircon as little as possible and as mad as it seems it seems to keep the moisture levels down in the car.

If you want to really dry it out, I have in the past - normally after cleaning seats and carpets with liquid cleaner - put heater on hot and and fan on full set to feet and vents. Leave it to run for 10 mins and get warm then open the back windows an inch or so and leave running for another 15 mins ish.

No problems with damp after that for quite a while.
Old 08 January 2011, 05:15 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Blob does the same

Trending Topics

Old 08 January 2011, 05:27 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

I get a similar thing with my Hawk, it's been stood on the drive all week while I've been using the work vehicle. No condensation on the inside whatsoever. This morning I take the family shopping, then out this afternoon, I park the car up and get condensation on the inside of the rear window and edges of the other windows. In my case it's just the passengers + myself giving off moisture through breathing ect whilst in the car and then the windows getting cold when it's parked and the moisture condensates on the cold glass.

Tim

Last edited by awdx4; 08 January 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08 January 2011, 06:11 PM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

i hope it is the weather i have just done 55o on a clutch and am now saving for a 30 k service and years tax.......having my *** smacked at the moment with this scooby and could do without another item failing so quickly
Old 08 January 2011, 06:57 PM
scixer6r
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt worry about it all Hawks do it as far as i know.You could try not breathing whilst you are in the car,that might help.
Old 08 January 2011, 07:49 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just paid £440 for my major service, needed front discs and pads too....just a couple of weeks after putting a H&S system on it, and some other goodies....know what ya mean about being smacked in the A$$

Still at least fuel is reasonable right now

Gotta love it!

p.s.
No condensation issues to report from my Hawk!
Old 08 January 2011, 08:58 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

i had same problem. changed my pollen filter (under the glove box) and got some meguiars glass cleaner and touch wood, no more condensation, even when got passengers and baby in the car.
Old 09 January 2011, 02:02 PM
Plums!
Scooby Regular

I had this type of problem and thought of this.... get hold of some of those silica gel packets you usually get in new shoe boxes....
That's what I use... well in fact I found some larger ones at work which were used to protect electrical components during transport...

Have worked a treat for me....

You can use a moisture trap in the car to suck out any water or damp... leave it in the car when not driving http://www.partridgeshadleigh.co.uk/...0795855136fa1e

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited by Plums!; 09 January 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09 January 2011, 02:15 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

my blob was really good at misting up turned out to be a dodgy boot seal allowing water to trickle in by the right hand hinge so far with my hawk no probs
Old 10 January 2011, 10:07 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

also - is it me or do Scoobies have an issue with the front window misting up? ... and why is aircon the best at getting rid of the condensation so fast??!

I do have a pool of water from time to time so think I'll check all boot seals - is there any obvious places that have a weakness?

I've started to get a bit of a smell now of dampness from time to time so think I need to get things checked. My heater doesn't seem to operate at full capacity either
Old 10 January 2011, 10:44 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Used the car in the snow?

Snow covered feet = wet/damp carpets.

Unless the car is garaged overnight with the windows open, or driven for 1hr plus every day with the heater set on warm feet and outside air, it won't properly dry out until the weather gets a bit warmer.

(to answer above: air-conditioning dehumidifies the air; less humidty = less steam).

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 January 2011 at 10:47 AM.