Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving lamps to replace fogs on a classic.

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2011, 02:01 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving lamps to replace fogs on a classic.

Im currently trying to get better light output from my classic.
Can you recomend some driving lights that will replace the standard fogs without modification to the bumper or look out of place, I dont want to be paying £££'s for the likes of PIAA's.
Thanks.
Old 08 January 2011, 02:14 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure if they are many other decent options that are cheaper. Infact, I think the PIAA's are the cheapest.

The PIAA's have been tried and tested by plenty of users, they even came standard with the RB5, so there is zero modification needed.

I wasn't planning to turn this into a selling post, but I am selling my old PIAA 80XT's for 20 quid: https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...ing-lamps.html

Granted, its missing some glass. But with a replacement at around 50 quid, you can a decent set of driving lights for less than a hundred quid.
Old 08 January 2011, 02:21 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey chap, if you are after some better lighting then i can get hold of P1 spot lights see post below:

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys-...plete-kit.html

It'd just be a case of wiring them upto your full beams or you could use them as fogs ;-)
Old 08 January 2011, 02:23 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

But you have to modify the bumper with those, and he did say he didn't want to do that.

Link not working BTW.

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...plete-kit.html
Old 08 January 2011, 03:40 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

CHEERS ;-)

well all that needs to be cut out of the bumper is 2x20p size holes which you never see as the plate which the foglights fix too covers them

Sp00ks
Old 08 January 2011, 04:36 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Hella's can fit pre-facelift bumpers too:

https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36...-facelift.html
Old 08 January 2011, 05:54 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Mmmm i'm unsure as too what you are trying too get at chap.

are you saying that my prices are unreasonable?

Considering that the price on that website does not include p&p nor does it include side light wiring plugs, wiring harness's for main bulb, uprated main bulbs (not the cheap crap that hella supplies) and also an led sidelight bulb for each light.

I think at "AROUND" £125 for my set was a bargain.... obviously the price would of gone down more with numbers

Trending Topics

Old 08 January 2011, 06:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Dunno if you can still get hold of Hella 1000FF lights, but if you can, they fit and are bl**dy good. Might still be available from Hella dealers.

dunx on here has a set with an HID conversion, which are outstanding.
Old 08 January 2011, 06:14 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

I love my 1000FFs on my bug eye. Ok, driving lights set that low is not ideal but they do put out more light on the main beam and its still usable light. The 1000FFs will stick out a big compared to stock as they are a bit bulkier. Hella also has a replacement for the their old 500's which aren't too bad either. Not as good as the 1000's but still decent. I almost went with teh HID version of the 1000s too but decide it was not worth it because I constantly have to dip the main beam with oncoming traffic and with an HID that's not practical. The ballast will need too much time to warm up and the constant on/off is also not good for the ballast or bulb. The standard halogen is much faster/better when having to flip back and forth. You can also run up to 130w bulb with the stock wiring. I've run those and 100w and think the 100w are fine. The 130's give just a wee bit more light but with a considerably shorter lifespan. I've used the 100's for since 2002. Only replaced them for the first time last year.
Old 08 January 2011, 07:39 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Prodrive have Hella 1000FF's at £350 a pair...

Subaru UK used to have them listed around £200.

Burbs - I have a pair of PIAA's, they use a H4 bulb, so have a fog/dip and a main beam function. These are the best lights I've ever had on a car, except for the Hella + HID set-up I run now.

dunx

P.S. Once "warm" HID's re-ignite almost instantly, but I will admit that anything within a mile of mine is vapourised...

Last edited by dunx; 08 January 2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08 January 2011, 08:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

LOL, dunx has got so much light coming out of the front of his car that he's ended up HAVING to upgrade the power to overcome the recoil.
In standard form it just went backwards............
Old 08 January 2011, 09:03 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sp00ks
Mmmm i'm unsure as too what you are trying too get at chap.

are you saying that my prices are unreasonable?

Considering that the price on that website does not include p&p nor does it include side light wiring plugs, wiring harness's for main bulb, uprated main bulbs (not the cheap crap that hella supplies) and also an led sidelight bulb for each light.

I think at "AROUND" £125 for my set was a bargain.... obviously the price would of gone down more with numbers
Sorry, didn't realise you're selling a 'kit' ...thought you were getting them from a 3rd party hence the group buy.

I take it your £125 includes p&p too then?

Plus, you don't mention the uprated main bulbs in the group buy, out of curiosity what do you change them to? as i found the Hella's (that come with the lamp as standard) pretty good

Folks might want to know that the mounting plates you're supplying are the 'flat' (Hella?) type too, for those who want the P1 look, P1's use a bracket supplied by Prodrive that sit a further 40-50mm out so they sit within the surrounds correctly.

Good Luck with the GB
Old 08 January 2011, 09:13 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
Sorry, didn't realise you're selling a 'kit' ...thought you were getting them from a 3rd party hence the group buy.

I take it your £125 includes p&p too then?

Plus, you don't mention the uprated main bulbs in the group buy, out of curiosity what do you change them to? as i found the Hella's (that come with the lamp as standard) pretty good

Folks might want to know that the mounting plates you're supplying are the 'flat' (Hella?) type too, for those who want the P1 look, P1's use a bracket supplied by Prodrive that sit a further 40-50mm out so they sit within the surrounds correctly.

Good Luck with the GB
That would be handy to know the mnounting brackets are the flat type, I was/am going to buy a set from spooks and that would of gone unnoticed until I tried to fit them
Old 09 January 2011, 12:11 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by alcazar
LOL, dunx has got so much light coming out of the front of his car that he's ended up HAVING to upgrade the power to overcome the recoil.
In standard form it just went backwards............
Why you cheeky... Scunthorpian !

If you don't behave I'll take you out in the dark, put my foot down...

And then turn them off !

dunx

P.S. I will get round to doing a photo-shoot one night.
Old 09 January 2011, 01:49 AM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Mmmm well the brackets that come from hella, when used with the fixing bolts do allow the spotlights too move out by upto the whole length of the fixing bolts.

How have you fitted your "prodrive" bracket too the bumper, if you could get a pic that would be great.

The fit with the supplied brackets on my set up has the glass just touching the mesh in my foglight covers (with the backs of the lights almost touching the bumper), so i assume that with the P1 replica foglight covers the lights will sit perfectly in the recessed holes.
if it's not perfect then you just adjust the amount that the lights are out from the bumper by screwing the thread ;-)

Sp00ks

PS: I shall take off the mesh grilles tomorrow and get a pic up for you guys ;-)

Last edited by sp00ks; 09 January 2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09 January 2011, 10:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I've had experience of both types of brackets, and even Hella UK technical dept admitted that the Scoob brackets, which used to be a dealer part and maybe still are, are superior for Scoobs.
Old 09 January 2011, 10:27 AM
winston69
Scooby Regular

I will be calling subaru on monday to see if they can get me some
Old 09 January 2011, 11:18 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Hi ,i have got some cibie oscars on my 2000 uk turbo and they were bought and fitted by scoobysport back in 2001. 10 years later they are still going strong with the addition of some 100 watt bulbs & lens covers,they give excellent lighting along with the philips extreme headlamp bulbs means you can literally see for miles on a long winding country road.They have the subaru std bracket on and are held in place by the 3 x oe 10 mm bolts . It might be worth looking on ebay pistonheads etc,as i have seen a few come up and sold for £50
Old 09 January 2011, 12:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Of the three types of aftermarket lamps sold for Scoobs, Cibie's were pretty good.

All had drawbacks:
Cibie: they use an H2 bulb, which can be hard to find uprated, and if higher wattage bulbs are used, CAN cause the bulbholder to overheat, lose it's springiness and thus it's grip on the bulb, leading to poor connections, arcing and premature bulb failure.

PIAA: Reflector/lens units don't seem to be able to be sealed, water ingress causes the reflector to rust through VERY quickly.

Hella: The design of the brackets made it necessary to REMOVE the bracket with lamp attached to make an adjustment, so setting up was a nightmare. It could also suffer from vibration.

The Hellas, at first introduction, were BY FAR the best value, a full kit including wiring loom costing only £199. The lamps are now almost impossible to get hold of in the UK although SEEM to be available in the USA? Scoobysport did sell some EXCELLENT clear covers which would stop all but the worst debris damage. No such covers were available for the other lamps, only opaque ones for covering when not in use.

Scoobysport also did the Hellas in HID, I have a set and they are awesome. The method of fixing to the car didn't use the poor bracket that needed the lamp and bracket off for adjustment, and once on, they were rigid.
Old 09 January 2011, 02:31 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

To avoid adjustment problems, I mount them using longer bolts and add springs and washers, this allows me to adjust the lights without removing the whole assembly.

HTH

dunx
Old 09 January 2011, 02:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Never thought of that.
So long as the springs are stiff enough there should be no vibration.
Old 09 January 2011, 05:22 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Scoobysport did sell some EXCELLENT clear covers which would stop all but the worst debris damage. No such covers were available for the other lamps, only opaque ones for covering when not in use.

Scoobysport also did the Hellas in HID, I have a set and they are awesome. The method of fixing to the car didn't use the poor bracket that needed the lamp and bracket off for adjustment, and once on, they were rigid.
Excellent info alcazar, i still have the clear protectors on my driving lights,I found the receipt and they cost £24.00 at the time.Not had any problems getting H2 bubs :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 09 January 2011, 05:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I wasn't aware they did them for the Cibies. It's really a pity more tuners didn't offer them specifically for their product.

I know you can STILL get them for the Hellas from the USA, but they are more like the old SUBARU branded foglight covers, with four tabs to hold them on. Mine are held on by the fit, all the way round. If you DO want them off, warm water is the only way.
Old 10 January 2011, 11:14 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Subaru/Prodrive bracket:

https://www.scoobynet.com/picture.ph...ictureid=14143

Ignore the brackets for the cover, as these are my 'bodge' to fit a pre-face lift. You can also see how these Hellas are adjusted

With cover in place:

https://www.scoobynet.com/picture.ph...ictureid=14144
Old 10 January 2011, 11:34 AM
winston69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
Subaru/Prodrive bracket:

https://www.scoobynet.com/picture.ph...ictureid=14143

Ignore the brackets for the cover, as these are my 'bodge' to fit a pre-face lift. You can also see how these Hellas are adjusted

With cover in place:

https://www.scoobynet.com/picture.ph...ictureid=14144
Where did you get the brackets from fella? A subaru dealer?
Old 10 January 2011, 12:09 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by winston69
Where did you get the brackets from fella? A subaru dealer?
Yeah, took a while to come in tho' ...so might be tricky to source now?

Part no's are SACC 6013 and SACC 6014
Old 10 January 2011, 01:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

AFAIK, they were ONLY fitted to the P1, but dealers may still be able to get them.
Old 10 January 2011, 01:13 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

My dealer can, he also gave me a price and part number for the wiring harness as well but he wasn't sure if one or two harnesses were required
Old 10 January 2011, 04:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

TBH, you don't need wiring harnesses, if you are going to have them wired as driving lights, (on with main beams, off with dips), you don't need a switch, just a relay and some wire and connectors.

If you want them as SELECTABLE driving lights, (on with main beams if you have selected them to be on, off with dips), then you can do this with a second relay using the foglight switch.
Old 10 January 2011, 05:20 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

I have no idea how to wire up using relays though...
I would like them selectable as you put it
Want the hellas that have the sidelight as well as the main beam, so I can have the sidelight selectable whilst under dipped beam

Quick Reply: Driving lamps to replace fogs on a classic.