Sponsored by:

clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2011, 09:30 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch

hi,anyone had a slipping clutch replaced on its own without replaceing/skimming flywheel?just bought a lovely v4 sti type r and clutch started slipping on way home! excellent!
Old 02 January 2011, 09:53 PM
subaruian
Scooby Regular

Hi mate sorry to hear that you looking in the region of 300ish plus for oem clutch dont know on type-rs though as ive only just brought my one but my00uk cost around that much for a exedy
Old 02 January 2011, 10:12 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruian
Hi mate sorry to hear that you looking in the region of 300ish plus for oem clutch dont know on type-rs though as ive only just brought my one but my00uk cost around that much for a exedy
thanks for the info,but dosent really answer the question about flywheel.
Old 02 January 2011, 10:18 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you only need to skim the fly wheel if the clutch judders. if it doesnt then you can risk it and leave as is. it might develop judder sooner though.
Old 02 January 2011, 10:25 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
you only need to skim the fly wheel if the clutch judders. if it doesnt then you can risk it and leave as is. it might develop judder sooner though.
but surely that would mean dropping the box again and paying labour for the 2nd time round? can the mechanic tell by looking at it that it will judder or not with the new clutch? obviously with just buying the car and this happening,it would be ideal if i didnt have to fork out for a flywheel aswell,but if it needs it then thats what ill have to do i suppose,just wondering how many people have had experiences in this situation and have/havent replaced/skimmed flywheel,knowing my luck ill have to replace it,but how is this determined?
Old 02 January 2011, 10:38 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

It's a bit like whether you remap a classic with a decat

Well when I had my old UK Turbo and the gearbox went boom, I had a recon box built by API but fitted by Scoobybits who were at Rotherham back then. Jase fitted an oem spec Exedy clutch without skimming the flywheel (as they say to replace the clutch when the gearbox has had work done as a matter of course). I never suffered from clutch judder in the 6 months afterwards until I was forced to sell it.

HTH
Old 02 January 2011, 10:51 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
It's a bit like whether you remap a classic with a decat

Well when I had my old UK Turbo and the gearbox went boom, I had a recon box built by API but fitted by Scoobybits who were at Rotherham back then. Jase fitted an oem spec Exedy clutch without skimming the flywheel (as they say to replace the clutch when the gearbox has had work done as a matter of course). I never suffered from clutch judder in the 6 months afterwards until I was forced to sell it.

HTH
ive only just bought this car today,v4 sti type r,noticeing your first comment about "remap" "decat".the car has full 3" decat from turbo back,will it be overboosting?,because of the slipping clutch i cant afford different ecu and map, the exhaust is a bit loud for my liking and was thinking of putting the standard system back on?does this sound like a decent idea?also is it not compulsary to do the flywheel when doing clutch then?
Old 02 January 2011, 11:17 PM
russellgarwood4174
Scooby Regular

i have had similar issues!! i got my 2001 bugeye WRX had her a few weeks then cluth started to slip! odered a compition clutch from scooby world then booked it in at my local scooby dealer in Germany, the cheeky buggers didnt tell me until they had fitted it that my fly wheel was slightly blue!! since then i get a burning smell when i reverse or when i drive slowly around car parks!! no fault from scooby world as i read the instructions about skimming just had my pants pulled down by the installers!! just hoping it beds in or its a case of another new clutch and flywheel together wish i changed them together instead of being tight! guess im trying too say to cut corners or you pay more second time around like i will be!!!
Old 02 January 2011, 11:24 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by russellgarwood4174
i have had similar issues!! i got my 2001 bugeye WRX had her a few weeks then cluth started to slip! odered a compition clutch from scooby world then booked it in at my local scooby dealer in Germany, the cheeky buggers didnt tell me until they had fitted it that my fly wheel was slightly blue!! since then i get a burning smell when i reverse or when i drive slowly around car parks!! no fault from scooby world as i read the instructions about skimming just had my pants pulled down by the installers!! just hoping it beds in or its a case of another new clutch and flywheel together wish i changed them together instead of being tight! guess im trying too say to cut corners or you pay more second time around like i will be!!!
sorry to hear that,ill speak to alan and martyn at enginetuner,see what they come up with.
Old 02 January 2011, 11:31 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
ive only just bought this car today,v4 sti type r,noticeing your first comment about "remap" "decat".the car has full 3" decat from turbo back,will it be overboosting?,because of the slipping clutch i cant afford different ecu and map, the exhaust is a bit loud for my liking and was thinking of putting the standard system back on?does this sound like a decent idea?also is it not compulsary to do the flywheel when doing clutch then?

On the topic of the remap, did the car not get mapped when entering the country? due to the octane required for the engine (Uk fuel isn't rated as high as Jap fuel). There are more knowledgable heads on here than me who can offer specifics on this.

When you have the gearbox dropped to change the clutch I would have thought the mechanic doing the work would be able to say whether the flywheel needs skimming or not. Many on here do have it done, but again I had no issues with my old Impreza.
Old 02 January 2011, 11:33 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

It doesn't cost much for a skimmed flywheel, not worth risking not doing it really, as you'll probably get judder.

Speak to Alyn @ AS Performance
Old 03 January 2011, 12:20 AM
subaruian
Scooby Regular

Got my UK my00 4 years ago clutch was slipping two months later Neil at slowboy said flywheel was ok he changed clutch but left flywheel have had no probs with clutch in last four years but as said before mechanic should know if flywheel would need doing also being a typer I'd have it done otherwise you will end up with probs later on!

Last edited by subaruian; 03 January 2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03 January 2011, 10:40 AM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
It doesn't cost much for a skimmed flywheel, not worth risking not doing it really, as you'll probably get judder.

Speak to Alyn @ AS Performance
ok cheers.