6 Months Report

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2011, 06:23 PM
skeeter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Months Report

Hi all,

some of you may remember my first post around 6 months ago when I switched from an E60 M5 into a 2007 '56' STi Type Uk.

Well I have now had the scooby for 6 months and have been reflecting on the experience.

First the not so good points;

Since owning the car it has been back to Subaru to have the following things fixed;
(a) Rear shocks
(b) Self leveling headlight mechanism
(c) Cold air fan (?) where the bearing are in the throes of failing

The car has only done 40k miles and I am a little surprised at these component failures. All covered by AUC so no cost to me.

Additionally, the interior trim quality is a bit suspect, things like the lack of a boot light/liner are mildly annoying, also the plastics are pretty ropey.

Now the good points;

The car is a hoot to drive, lacks a little mid range torque, but picks up really well. The gearbox is a joy, very positive in its action.

The handling took a little getting used to, but is great once you do(compared to the M5!). The brakes are good, they feel a little wooden but have great stopping power.

Fuel economy is good (!) and is double what I used to get in the M5, but I guess this depends where you are coming from. The tank range is also about 100 - 130 miles more than the M, and therefore I dont have to stop so often which is welcomed.

The seats are very comfortable and the car can be driven for long periods without severe discomfort, aided by well balanced suspension which isnt too crashy.

All in all I have enjoyed the last 6 months with the STi but am already starting to feel a little itchy to change. Not too sure whether I will still have it in the next month or so as I feel another M5 or GT-R beckoning.

My summary; fantastic value, great performance, suprisingly good refinement/ride but marred by common component failure and interior quality. 7.5/10 for me.

S
Old 02 January 2011, 07:04 PM
ritchiritch
Scooby Regular

So am i right in thinking you only got 100miles or so out of a full tank of fuel on your m5?
Old 02 January 2011, 07:24 PM
skeeter
Scooby Regular

I get around 250 - 270 miles to the tank on the STi and got about 150 to 170 in the M5. With a 50 mile round trip to work each day I was stopping every 3 days of so to fill up.

Mrs S thought I was having a fling with the Shell lady

S
Old 02 January 2011, 07:27 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skeeter
I get around 250 - 270 miles to the tank on the STi and got about 150 to 170 in the M5. With a 50 mile round trip to work each day I was stopping every 3 days of so to fill up.

Mrs S thought I was having a fling with the Shell lady

S
Jeeees thats bad.

Why not tune the Scoob and see what you can do?? As you obviously do like it, and are just bored.
Old 02 January 2011, 08:47 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Remapping it will bring it alive....particularly in the mid range