Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to prepare a car for TRACK days ???

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2011, 05:19 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to prepare a car for TRACK days ???

Hi Guys. Need some advice.
I'm planning to do some track days in next few months and would like to get some advice how should I prepare my car. It is V2 Sti Saloon with following mods:

- Major_Sarcasm CHIP
- K&N 57i IK
- Eibach P1 lowering springs (thanks WOODBUTCH )
- Whiteline rear wire type droplinks
- NGK PFR7B spark plugs
- Sports Cat 100cel downpipe with heat wrap on and decatted centre section
- Ninja Back box
- 3 Point Sabelt harnesses (pair)

Car is running on 17's Speedline alloys with 205/40 tyres. Next month i'll be fitting new Pink Box EXEDY clutch kit (5speed) with Lateral Performance lightweight flywheel (6kgs). Also buying WALBRO 255 fuel pump, WHITELINE rear Adjustable ARB 22mm and set of grooved brake discs and Blue Staff pads (front&rear) from GODSPEED BRAKES.

Is there anything else I forgot ???

Will I be fine with this setup or should I add something else ?

What's your recommendatios ?

Cheers
Old 02 January 2011, 05:48 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fuel cut off
Battery cut off
Fire extinguisher
Old 02 January 2011, 05:50 PM
shep_UKSpec
Scooby Regular

Bible, Prayer Mat, spare pants :-)
Old 02 January 2011, 05:59 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys :-)
Any one else ?
Old 02 January 2011, 06:07 PM
The king
Scooby Regular

Setups never get good enough, but 2 things are basics.. Oilcooler mate - Engine killer #1 is hot oil and water... Preferably a high flow thermostat and bigger radiator as well, espially for twisty tracks..

Otherwise, remove your floormats, and have fun!
Old 02 January 2011, 06:15 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driver training - get the most out of your track time!!!
Old 02 January 2011, 06:25 PM
millzy555
Scooby Regular

As above. oil cooler a must! full geometry setup for track. Make sure the car is mapped for all the mods and right fuel otherwise knock knock. and finally practise and enjoy. Oh and a good set of harnesses

Trending Topics

Old 02 January 2011, 06:44 PM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might wanna get some proper (competition) brake fluid while getting your brakes done. The regular fluid would've boiled itself up after a few laps.
Old 02 January 2011, 06:47 PM
Deano1565
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Driver training - get the most out of your track time!!!
Do most tracks offer driver training? would love to to give it a go round a track but would like a bit of a heads up first!! how much does it normaly cost? the nearest track to me is thruxton.
Cheers. Deano.
Old 02 January 2011, 07:13 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Hmm... Good points guys !
Thank You
Old 02 January 2011, 08:02 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

a good size intercooler
a fuel swirl pot setup to cure fuel surge

good brakes

a right good service and take it easy

build your speed up and don`t have the car out too long (ie don`t over work it)
Old 02 January 2011, 10:36 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

Get some decent tyres, or a cheap set of wheels with some slicks ( probably cheaper than trashing a brand new set of good road tyres

get a tyre pressure gauge as you'll need to make adjustments throughout the day

any servicable fluid, change it!

Oil temp/pressure gauge would be a useful.

But the most important IMO and what a few people insisit on, a decent fire exstingwisher, and some gloves. If your car decides it wants to go up in flames, you might want a chance in saving it, and your hands are the first thing that's going to get burnt if you do.
Old 02 January 2011, 10:53 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Tyre Pressures!
Old 02 January 2011, 10:56 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

mate for the prep i would say change the brake pads and use performance fluid, motul stuff is fine so it dont have to be castrol mega cash stuff, TAKE A EXTRA SET OF PADS !!!, tyre gauge is needed, ideally take spare wheels so you can drive home, spare oil to take as you will prob burn some on track, uprate the breather system too and change your power steering fluid and top it up to just above min,,,,,, on track it seems to get ****ing hot and **** out the lid if filled to the max level when cold

check the wheel nuts are at the correct torque,,,, too much and with the heat you will struggle to get them undone or they might just shear off if too tight

then just take it easy, i personally would recomend bedford for a first time as there is LOADS of run off as you tend to brake far too late as the road is so wide and the speeds your doing it seems to adjust how you interpret it if that makes sence

but thats about it oh and take ALL your tools and spare fluids just incase and leave them either in a car outside or in a pit garage if you manage to get one or get pally with some of the regulars and take hints from them

oh and SMOOTH driving is faster than tugging at the wheel to change direction and also means you will prob spin out after a few laps when the tyres "go off", smooth driving keeps the tyre temps down a bit

oh and start with 25psi in the tyres and work your way around from there, just check to see if they are "rolling over" as in the writing is getting worn on the tyres then if so add a little more air ect but ALWAYS check your tyres every time you come in
Old 02 January 2011, 10:59 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Thank You VERY much guys !!!

I understand all your recommendatios but...
Do I really need things such as oil cooler, high flow thermostat or bigger radiator ? I know that it would be nice to have but these things cost :-(
It will be my first time on the track and will not be pushing car to it's limits so... I'll make sure that brakes will handle it and check all fluids ect.
I've got boost and oil presure gauges fitted already so will know how the engine feels like.
I don't think that people whose going on the track for first time have got their cars professionaly prepared. Of course, if i'll have funds to fit all these uprated things at one time, i'll do it but at the moment can't afford it. I just want to have fun not necessary doing 24h Le Mans :-)

What about you guys ?
How your first track day was look like?

Last edited by ScoobyForLife27; 02 January 2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02 January 2011, 11:11 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Ginge,
Thank You for the info. I live in Bedford so it's gonna be Bedford Autodrome for sure. As I said, I want to learn the car behaviour on the track first and then will be preparing car properly. I'm buying parts one by one so it needs time to get them all especially when you're a father of two :-) Each month new part so...
Old 02 January 2011, 11:14 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Never been on the track myself but getting the car set up for it rollcage,extinguisher,brakes,engine cut,seats harnesses etc..... did a bit of rallying a few years ago just take it steady till you get used to it 4or 5 laps them come in for a break.

Most of all have fun !
Old 02 January 2011, 11:16 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Brands has Novice days at a cheaper price and you can have a instructor for a few laps to show you around the track
Old 02 January 2011, 11:22 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

mate dont listen to the " get cage and harnesses and buckets and AO48's blah blah blah

mate get some decent pads ( EBC Yellow stuff) decent fluid (motul) cheep set of 17's or 16's if thats what you usually run, tyre pressure gauge and change all fluids before doing the track day

OH AND TAKE CABLE TIES,,,,,,, when ever the passionford lot go to the nurburgring we ALWAYS end up using cableties for something to get us up and running

Name:  IMGA0012.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  42.6 KB
Name:  IMGA0014.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  22.1 KB

even to check the fuel pressure when on boost incar pmsl

just go out there and see if you like it, go on passionford too as alot of them do trackdays now and can help with general advice and they do a trackday at bedford every feb that was or might still be the RSOC beds group show
Old 02 January 2011, 11:25 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

As Ginge says, decent pads and brake fluid are a must. Even more important that the oil IMO
Old 02 January 2011, 11:37 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

drilled discs are another option to look at LATER if you find you enjoy it but ill explain why at a later date after you decide if you like track days

i bought a scooby to see if i liked track days

my first ring trip/time with it on track i changed the fluid for ATE performance blue, fitted mintex 1166 pads to it ( i used to sell mintex brakes so they looked after me) and serviced the car, nothing else

discovered it LOVED the track apart from the slight bodyroll causing me to slide so first mods i done was the suspension and now it handles the nuts that i require more power

i aint got a cage for it as my little girl likes to travel in the car and i dont wanna kill her with a fractured skull should we have a crash
Old 02 January 2011, 11:38 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys !!!

What about prices?? I've read on Bedford Autodrome website that prices starts from £89 and they're doing runs in sessions, 20 minutes each. Does it mean that I can stay on the track for whole day or there is a session limits I can run ??

How does it look ?

Sorry for that but I'm trying to get as much info I can get.
Old 02 January 2011, 11:44 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Ginge,
What do you mean about suspension? Coilovers ?
I'll be running on Eibach P1 lowering springs, Whiteline droplinks, WHITELINE adjustable ARB 22mm and possibly ALK. Will it be enough ???
Old 02 January 2011, 11:44 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

usually there is 3 groups of 20 min sessions based on experience,,, you dont wanna go hit the track with the hard core track stars and they DEF dont wanna have the numptys who enter the corners too fast and drive all the wrong lines and give way to the right rather than the left

also 20 mins on track is VERY hard on your car,,,,, it needs a break to cool down ect,,,,,, so the 40 mins spare is used to cable tie your turbo back on or gaffertape your steering rack and wheels back on not to mention you will need a bloody drink of water
Old 02 January 2011, 11:49 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

get the suspension set up with a geometry check for FULL benifit

that sounds perfect, maybe a rear anti roll bar should you feel the need AFTER you take it out if that makes sence

that photo was with standard STI suspension

ive since fitted 24mm front, 22mm rear, ALK, HKS coilovers ( dont fit coilovers if you use the car on the road,,, feels like i have square tyres and ) and fully powerflexed up the car with there black bushes along with a full geomerty srt up and its totally different now,,,,,, but the point i was making was i done this after as before the car felt perfect for track use so i just done the brakes

im sure if i fit a cage i will notice the difference but i dont feel i need one as of yet as the car just spins out
Old 02 January 2011, 11:49 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

As for the pads, i'll go for EBC NDX BlueStuff or Ferodo RS2500.
I know that REDSTUFF EBC are good on the track but not really good daily driving.
Old 02 January 2011, 11:58 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

mate i promise you the yellow stuff EBC pads are nothing like the old red stuff pads, they have changed the compounds and they work when cold and are also road legal

the ORIGINAL red stuff pads YEARS ago where what people talk about when saying they are crap when cold,,,,,but mint on track

trust me try the yellow stuff and thank me later on as they are half the price and road legal

scoobys require a high temp pad on track which is why they dont make a green stuff pad for a impreza and even mintex will recomend you go for a M1155 compound

ive used alot of pads in my car and been in a few mates who use AP racing brakes and they use yellow stuff pads based on price and that they also work well ( ill admit some use carbone lorraine but you wont want these on a road car at all !!)

the best value and a MIN pad that works is the organic compound yellow stuff pad i promise you for a fast road car/occasional track car

just bed them in correctly and make sure there is no air in the lines
Old 03 January 2011, 12:03 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Ginge - i've been looking at the new range or EBC pads, and the Bluestuff looks pretty good. Seems they're designed for fast road and track, may be worth looking at.
EBC certainly seem to have sorted themsleves out, the new range is getting very good reviews.
Old 03 January 2011, 12:03 AM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

ps: i use ( on track that is) the mintex touring car compound pads and they litterally eat your discs and leave a nasty mess in the wheels paint of copper and dust forged into them and you have to left foot riding the brakes on the way to the ring for them to actually work but when they do,,,, go they make the crappy 4 pot subaru brakes work very very well,,,,,,,,, but **** me they also squeel and ALOT worse when reversing that im sure they could brake crystal glasses

im recomending a good all round brake for what you will need it for,, yellow stuff and i dont even work for a company that sells them anymore but they REALLY did impress me
Old 03 January 2011, 12:11 AM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Ginge - i've been looking at the new range or EBC pads, and the Bluestuff looks pretty good. Seems they're designed for fast road and track, may be worth looking at.
EBC certainly seem to have sorted themsleves out, the new range is getting very good reviews.
they do,,,, be warned they aint all road legal which can lead to insurance issues MAYBE in the event of a crash,,,,,, which is why i only use my mintex on track ( mr person who insures my car pmsl)

im tempted to try the blue stuff just cause the prices are sooo soo sooo cheep and the yellows are soo good too

remember that EBC done just make aftermarket brakes, they are a global company who make brakes for trains, planes,motorcycles, bicycles AND EVEN WIND TURBINES

they got a bad rep years ago and struggle to get rid of it,,,,, the main complaint was the reds not working when cold on 1.1 fiestas and saxos when they just couldnt get upto the correct temps to make em work proper, now they remade them and make 3 road going compounds, green for the kids cars, red for the heavier cars and yellow for the heavier track use/drive like a tosser cars

blue stuff was just being introduced when i went on a brakes course to be told the difference ect about brakes and **** me they do know there onions, shame i left the company before i got me freebie test pair to convert me from mintex

they even recomended i try carbon lorraine for track use as i dont like a spongy feeling pedal and like to feel like im standing on a brick when hitting the pedal

Quick Reply: How to prepare a car for TRACK days ???