Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with person I brought my scooby off!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2011, 05:18 PM
joe1985
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with person I brought my scooby off!!!!!!

Hi i got my scooby end of October and was soooo happy. I love the car its the best i have ever owned and it always leaves a grin on my face! I got it of a bloke for £2500 plus a lexus i owned. He wanted £5000 for the car so i looked at the average what the lexus were selling for and it was £2500-£3000 so i made him the offer as he had a few cars he wanted and even though this was not one of them it would do him until he found the right car. i had only had the car a couple of months as it was a good not too expensive car and i needed something while i looked for the right scooby. I stupidly didn't do a HPI when i brought the lexus but it drove ok and looked fine. I didnt have any problems while i owned it. The other day i recieved an email off him saying to call him, i did and he told me the car was a cat c and when he went to trade it against a car he wanted it was only worth £1500 not the £2500 that he had traded against the scooby with me. All he kept saying on the phone was what was i going to do as he was atleast a grand out of pocket and he felt he was owed this or i should swap back with him and he would give me my cash back as he now doesn't want the car. I had told him when i took him the car to look at before we did a deal that i hadn't had it HPI'd as he mentioned his nephew had been ripped off by buying a car that still had finance on it (now with that and the fact i told him i hadn't had the car HPI'd would have made him think it was a good idea to have one but apparantly not?!?!) I told him i would look into on the net and see if i could help him out even though i feel i don't have to i feel sorry for the guy. This was thursday night, now i ended up working new years eve and new years day so didn't get much time to look but he wasn't happy with this and has tried phoning a few times and emailing and keeps making out its all my problem and i should swap back or give him the 1000 hes down. I have looked on ebay and there are cat c lexus that haven't even been repaired still been sold for what he has been offered from the dealer. I told him this but he just seems to want a car from this dealer meaning he is taking the lowest possible price for the lexus and that is all my fault and he wants reimbursing for the 1000ish h2e will be losing! I just wondered what your guy's thoughts on this is????

Thanks

Joe
Old 02 January 2011, 05:21 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

Sorry but that makes my eyes bleed
Old 02 January 2011, 05:21 PM
Chris 9-5
Scooby Regular

He didnt check what he was buying, so I'd say its his problem.

I assume neither of you are Motor traders?

Tell him the Scooby engine is knocking and you want three grand off him..............

Last edited by Chris 9-5; 02 January 2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02 January 2011, 05:22 PM
bengo
Scooby Regular

He should have got an HPI on it before swapping it with you. End of IMO!

Ben
Old 02 January 2011, 05:23 PM
200sex
Scooby Regular

me i would tell him he should of hpi checked it when buying the car he has no legal come back to you sold as seen
Old 02 January 2011, 05:23 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

It's not your problem. It is up to him to HPI the car before doing the deal. Things may be different if you are a trader but I am presuming you are not.
Old 02 January 2011, 05:26 PM
martek
Scooby Regular

Joe
he he this is easy, tell him to Go F*** himself.
He had the oppurtunity as we all do to have a hpi report done, he didn't, so it's his loss.
You certainly shouldn't feel guilty about it, sounds to me that he thought the car was worth more, now he's had the chance to try and part-ex he's re-thinking, like i said earlier mate tell him to do one.
Cheers Dave.
Old 02 January 2011, 05:29 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joe1985
Hi i got my scooby end of October and was soooo happy. I love the car its the best i have ever owned and it always leaves a grin on my face! I got it of a bloke for £2500 plus a lexus i owned. He wanted £5000 for the car so i looked at the average what the lexus were selling for and it was £2500-£3000 so i made him the offer as he had a few cars he wanted and even though this was not one of them it would do him until he found the right car. i had only had the car a couple of months as it was a good not too expensive car and i needed something while i looked for the right scooby. I stupidly didn't do a HPI when i brought the lexus but it drove ok and looked fine. I didnt have any problems while i owned it. The other day i recieved an email off him saying to call him, i did and he told me the car was a cat c and when he went to trade it against a car he wanted it was only worth £1500 not the £2500 that he had traded against the scooby with me. All he kept saying on the phone was what was i going to do as he was atleast a grand out of pocket and he felt he was owed this or i should swap back with him and he would give me my cash back as he now doesn't want the car. I had told him when i took him the car to look at before we did a deal that i hadn't had it HPI'd as he mentioned his nephew had been ripped off by buying a car that still had finance on it (now with that and the fact i told him i hadn't had the car HPI'd would have made him think it was a good idea to have one but apparantly not?!?!) I told him i would look into on the net and see if i could help him out even though i feel i don't have to i feel sorry for the guy. This was thursday night, now i ended up working new years eve and new years day so didn't get much time to look but he wasn't happy with this and has tried phoning a few times and emailing and keeps making out its all my problem and i should swap back or give him the 1000 hes down. I have looked on ebay and there are cat c lexus that haven't even been repaired still been sold for what he has been offered from the dealer. I told him this but he just seems to want a car from this dealer meaning he is taking the lowest possible price for the lexus and that is all my fault and he wants reimbursing for the 1000ish h2e will be losing! I just wondered what your guy's thoughts on this is????

Thanks

Joe

I had a similar problem a few years back, I never bothered with a Hpi check on the car I bought and when I came to sell it the New Buyer didn't either, It was a VW Bora and still had nearly 5k owing on the finance, I told the guy basically It was his responsibilty to do a Hpi check beforehand so it was too late, Sounds a bit mean but I wasn't willing to come up short same as he wasn't, In your case It's slightly different as nobody is going to ****** the car back but same principle applies, You did not Hpi the car and neither did the new owner so no matter how you feel about it I would explain this to him, There is nothing he can do now, The sale is final and it was up to him to carry out any checks beforehand, Seems unfair but life is I'm afraid
Old 02 January 2011, 05:33 PM
d4n-b
Scooby Regular

His problem not your's. the deal was done end of.
Old 02 January 2011, 05:33 PM
joe1985
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your fast replys guys thats what i was thinking after reading up on the net! No im not a trader just wanted a uk300 so obviously had to wait for the right one to come as not many left. I feel bad but i did drive 2 and a half hours to do the deal and if he had done an HPI we would of both found out there and then i would have left with my tail between my legs and a car i was out of pocket on..... think lesson learned is do a HPI i will never buy a car without one now after knowing how close it was to been me!

Sorry Winston69 was a bit of a long un lol

and thanks wildpikey glad im not the only person this has happened too!
Old 02 January 2011, 05:39 PM
P1#1015
Scooby Regular

Sold as seen.

If you'd forged an HPi report that said it was clean that's a different matter, but buying a car you know doesn't have one (and then trying to moan about if after the event) is utter stupidity. Some people still don't understand that as a buyer, you have responsibilities too

If the scooby started knocking on the way home would he refund you? Thought not....

Last edited by P1#1015; 02 January 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02 January 2011, 05:45 PM
shep_UKSpec
Scooby Regular

As above mate Sold as seen.
A car dealer can sell you a car thats been accident damaged and doesnt even have to tell you unless you ask if it has.
Old 02 January 2011, 05:46 PM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joe1985

Thanks

Joe

Tell him to ****off imo its his problem not your's why didnt the tight **** pay to have it hpi'd just tell him to go away.
Old 02 January 2011, 05:56 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

yep I agree with the above, tell him to take a long walk off a short pier. His fault for not Hpi'ing the vehicle. snooze you loose lol
Old 02 January 2011, 06:04 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

If you had no idea it was a CAT C then you have not deliberately tried to deceive him. He should have done a HPI check but for what ever reason chose not to. I'd say tough luck on him and he should learn by this lesson. If you were aware of the car being a cat c and did not tell him he may have a case against you ,providing he can prove you knew.
Old 02 January 2011, 06:05 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

buyer beware. he should have hpi'd it as you should have, its only £3. ignore him.
Old 02 January 2011, 06:07 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, as harsh as it sounds its his own fault for not HPi-ing the car! As mentioned before if the engine broke, would he fix it? I doubt it.
Even if he did one of those £5 my-text-checks it would have shown that up. More fool him.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02 January 2011, 06:07 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

yep as above.....

he had the chance to hpi and didnt....tough luck....like you had the chance when you bought it and didnt...

imagine if you took the lexus back to where you bought it from..do you think they would give you any money back????
Old 02 January 2011, 06:13 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above....tell him to F**K off, if he does'nt like it tell him to pop round and pay you a visit....Then tell him to F**K off to his face......hard line but all these guys are 100% correct....check before you buy....BUYER BEWARE....If he kept ringing me, i would be popping over to his place for some "tough love"
Old 02 January 2011, 06:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Happened to me three years back, I sold my lad's Saxo against a Corsa TDi, turned out the saxo was a CatD, dealer rang me and told me I owed him £800.

Deal had gone through, I told him to get lost, never heard from him again.

We DID NOT know it was CatD......
Old 02 January 2011, 06:25 PM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

sold as seen mate he can **** off!!! as said are you able to claim your money back from the place you origanly bought it from? exactly! job done!
Old 02 January 2011, 06:35 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martek
Joe
he he this is easy, tell him to Go F*** himself.
He had the oppurtunity as we all do to have a hpi report done, he didn't, so it's his loss.
You certainly shouldn't feel guilty about it, sounds to me that he thought the car was worth more, now he's had the chance to try and part-ex he's re-thinking, like i said earlier mate tell him to do one.
Cheers Dave.
+1 for the above ,he handed over his cash/car and the deal was done
,if he was that concerned should have backed off from the deal until he had the hpi report & piece of mind . You never forced him into the deal so tough s**t
Old 02 January 2011, 06:41 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

the deal was done a few months ago,no one would swap back,tell him to **** off!!

its his fault for not doing the hpi check end of
Old 02 January 2011, 06:47 PM
futureshockwrx
Scooby Regular

i had this problem when i bought my scooby at start o december. paid 450 quid for it. thought good deal, needed a xmas present turns out it a cat c. but i checked after buying the car. i aint complained yet cause of the money i saved on buying it in the first place. tell him to go f**k himself end off. he shoulda accepted it from the point o tough luck
Old 02 January 2011, 06:54 PM
joe1985
Scooby Regular

thanks everyone im just been too soft i think....

yea nice to see that someone on the other side still thinks i'm not been hard on him thanks futureshockwrx if anyone could say I weren't been fair it was someone else who's bin through it but even you ain't

The fact i even told him i aint had it HPI'd should be enough for him to realise he's cocked up but apparently not and he still went on with the deal.....
Old 02 January 2011, 06:57 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

tell him you have put a new £3k engine in and he would need to give you £3k extra to make it right to swap back. hes trying it on.
Old 02 January 2011, 06:59 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

As everyone has said really, his fault for not HPI'ing it. I know you feel bad but why should you coz the buyer didnt do his homework when buying it.

Ive had this problem in the past when I bought a vauxhall off a lad and turn out it had been a cat C. At the end of the day I only had my self to blame for not checking, after all thats why we have HPI checks.
Old 02 January 2011, 06:59 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Sold as seen, no comeback as far as I can see. Just tell him that he should have HPI'd it himself, it was his responsibility.

Use Paragraphs fella, it makes reading long posts like yours a bit easier.

Oh, Brought & Bought are two different words with two different meanings.
Old 02 January 2011, 07:13 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Been there done that. Except I was the buyer of the Cat D vehicle.

I was fooking livid when I found out I'd been done over. To make matters worse the seller knew all about the Cat D status as he did the damage. I comtemplated turning up at his house, or his work to give him some of my 17st. But where would it have got me!

At the end of the day it is buyer beware. I SHOULD HAVE checked before I handed over my cash (a lot of it too I might add).

I suspect in your case the buyer is gutted that he made a stupid mistake and you are the one to take out his anger on. What you decide is a course up to you, but the law says (as far as I know) you don't have to give him anything....

The car is fit for purpose and roadworthy so tough!
Old 02 January 2011, 07:14 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
Use Paragraphs fella, it makes reading long posts like yours a bit easier.
+10

Quick Reply: Help with person I brought my scooby off!!!!!!