Sponsored by:

On The Subject Of PPP... (also a poll)

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2001, 09:45 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Having made my recent post regarding PPP & <B>DISCOUNTS</B> (hint Mike ) & receiving the answer to ask my dealer - I did!

In fact, I asked several dealers Not a comprehensive survey, but enough to guage a reaction.

1st finding is that 3/5 don't know what PPP is Needed prompting & pushing

2nd finding is that they were largely unaware of any "deals" that Prodrive might be doing - in fact totally is probably more apt

As an adjunct to that, "Prodrive is always doing different promotions!" came from 2.

3rd finding is the length of time taken to install PPP. From 24 hrs to 3 days 24hrs was furthest away from Prodrive!

4th is the cost. Varied from £1968 inc VAT to £2650 inc VAT & that is solely for the PPP

It seemed to me that the most knowledgeable were also the cheapest (as in RRP) but some, who might/should know better, were the most expensive (or should I say fleecing...)

As I said, by no means a comprehensive survey, but one which I welcome comment, further input & will continue to undertake.

Old 12 March 2001, 09:57 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
James....buy an import Higher spec, cheaper, well looked after, more power...why suffer a substandard UK car and keep spending on it? Also you have to talk the old Doris into it! Goodnight. Early shift!
Old 12 March 2001, 10:24 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

When I had mine done last year(after trying for months, fighting the finance company). I called the dealer and arranged a date, about 2 weeks in advance(they could'nt fit me in earlier). The only date before xmas was the monday 18th, so I dropped the car off on the Saturday.

The dealer drove the car up on the monday am,
and it was back on monday after having the PPP and 15K service done by 16:00 the same day.

I think it cost me £1,950 inclusive and I had it done at Quenby's in Herts.

Was it worth it? You bet. It's transformed and improved the car 200%. It's also easier to drive smoother and also keeps to 30 limits far better.

Get one puff, you know you want to.
P.S it's invisible to wifey's.

[This message has been edited by Neil Smalley (edited 12 March 2001).]
Old 12 March 2001, 10:46 PM
g man
Scooby Regular

Question

Neil, can I ask what you mean by `fighting the finance company` did they object to you putting the package on your car? or are you saying that they financed the package, I was just wondering thats all...
Old 12 March 2001, 10:50 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Angry

Long story. I have the car on a PCP thingy.
Because I was adjusting the car in a fundimental way it would affect the guaranteed future value and therefore i would have needed to cancel the one i'm on and start a new one, at higher rates and lower guaranteed future value.

I won in the end. Don't ask anymore. still makes me
Old 13 March 2001, 01:53 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I have a PPP MY99 car, but didn't go about it the right way!!!

I spent about £600 on a de-cat exhaust and air inductor. The performance gains were good, but still lacked torque.

I recently bought a second hand PPP ECU and the intercooler hoses, along with a Forge dump valve and some HKS spark plugs. I paid about £800 for those bits.

The gains were good, but not as good from stepping up from a standard car to a full PPP car!! Then again, I've only spent £1400 and got most of the bits I want.

Next up a boost controller and up the boost slightly. Something sedate like 17.5-18psi!!

Why go for the PPP I hear you ask, I get the reliability of the the Prodrive kit, and better fuelling from the PPP ECU over the standard ECU.

I could have bought a Link or Unichip for the same money you say, but I've taken all my performance modifications into account, rather than just the ECU upgrade. Taking into account the cost of a boost controller, say £400, I've only spent £1800!! A lot of money I know, I dare say it will be better than most PPP'd cars!!

Would I have paid £2000 for the PPP, the answer is <B>YES</B>!!! And it would have saved all the messing around I've done already!!!

Andy
Old 13 March 2001, 09:28 AM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have PPP on my MY00

My dealer had never done one before.

I paid £1997 (I think) and they did it in a day.

Prodrive will let you take the car there yourself now but v.clear on no tours, nowhere to wait, nothing to see etc. Dealer took my car up though.

Well worth the money on the performance front + nice (but not vulgar)exhaust noise and cool 9cm round tail pipe with Prodrive logo on it!

Only downer is no Prodrive decal for the boot ( due to IM missive, not Prodrive I understand.)

Trending Topics

Old 13 March 2001, 04:18 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

PTMW

There is a 'special price' at the moment if you have the performance package and 17" Prodrive 7 wheels and tyres. All the dealers are aware of this and will be able to do you a deal.

The dealers are aware of the fact that we do a Performance Package but may not be aware that a PPP is the same thing!

Mike
Old 13 March 2001, 04:39 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Mike

Thanks for replying!

There seems to be quite a large disparity in charges for PPP (otherwise known as Prodrive Performance Pack ) varying from £1968 - £2650 & that's not including the wheels! Only one dealer (in my lil poll) knew about PPP & PD7s & gave me a price. The same dealer also offered wheels & PPP for £1968 (different rep) but I couldn't get it off him in writing
Old 13 March 2001, 04:43 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

PTMW

I've just read your other posts and it sounds like you have managed to get the info already!!!

Mike

Old 13 March 2001, 04:46 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Just trying to get the price down
Old 13 March 2001, 04:51 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

I spoke to a local dealer and was told that there are currently no deals or discounts on the PPP. The deal inc. wheels had expired and that a recent customer had paid full price.

I don't want the wheels anyway.
Dealer said to come back in six weeks and check after the MY01 PPP is available.

I was also told by another dealer that I couldn't deliver my car to Prodrive they would take it on the back of a lorry to Banbury for about 400 quid. Duh! I be better off taking it to a dealer in Oxford and let them deliver it.

Jason
Old 13 March 2001, 04:57 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Question

Mike

Why don't Prodrive sell just the chip? It seems there is the demand for it.

Tim
Old 13 March 2001, 05:03 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Talking

Guys,

Could I just ask how you found out about there being a special on at the moment?

It seems that for all the debate we have on here regarding different exhausts, chips etc, that it is simply less hassle and agro to simply purchase a PPP from the dealer!! (If you have a standard UK motor).

Jim
Old 13 March 2001, 05:47 PM
Mr BLITZ
Scooby Regular

Wink

PTMW check y'ur mail matey

Mr BLITZ
Old 14 March 2001, 12:49 AM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Ozzy

I don't think its a cheapskate approach. The new impreza shape is available and in a short while so will the 01 PPP. I'm going to draw a parallel between this and software development.

If I design an application I expect it to be current for a period of time before it is superceeded. When that happens the package might not be completely redundant. I might be able to resell the application to a different market at a lower price.

Would it be the same for performance parts? I would guess so until they become rare or if the manufacturer has a monopoly and restricts supply.

Ok I'm rambling now but you know what I mean...

Jason
Old 14 March 2001, 11:31 AM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Mike
Are you able to say what the price is and what might be happening to it?
Jason
Old 14 March 2001, 11:39 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Jason,

From PTMW!s searching, I'd guess that Mike can't control the costs to the punters - ie you and me...

And even if he can, dealers seem more than happy to ignore this and charge what they think that they can get - up to 30-odd percent difference on a 2 grand piece of kit is not insignificant.

Strikes me that there's a lot of people who want this kit at the right price. Scoobynet special deal? Who knows
Old 14 March 2001, 11:52 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Hi all,

The biggest reason people aren't jumping at the PPP is purely based on the price. I don't understand why Prodrive can't make the PPP more appealing by reducing the cost. If they made the price more competitive people would bite the arms of dealers to get one.

As far as I'm concerned Prodrive still make the best mods for the Scooby, but when they think they can still charge 2K for an ECU and exhaust or £800 for a spolier you've got to start asking questions.

When I first joined Scoobynet the ECU from PE was the in-thing, but this seems to died a death. It would be a good to see comparisons between the mods offered by Prodrive and the "affordable" alternatives available from other 3rd parties.

Before you start, I'm not a cheap-skate Scot. I would just like to see more realistic prices. I work damn hard for my money and object to people over-inflating prices just because it's got a trendy badge on it.

Stefan
Old 14 March 2001, 01:13 PM
Deputy Dog
Scooby Regular

I agree,
If the PPP was at a lower price and just the chip was available, I'd buy it & they could do big biz, A scoobynet chip puchase sounds lurvely and realistic, esp. if fitted by a dealer to maintain warranty.
Come on Mike, make a little xtra cash and make lots of scooby owners happy bunny's

Paul M
Old 14 March 2001, 01:49 PM
Phil Hammond
Scooby Regular

Thanks PTMW for the poll - interesting reading.

I have been thinking about either upgrading to PPP or taking a visit to Scoobysport.

From what people have been saying on here it is worth the £2k for PPP but I thought people might be interested in the following table which analyses the results from dyno.scoobynet.co.uk

Mods, Count, Avg BHP, @RPM, Avg Lb/ft, @RPM
no MODS,12,236,6419,222,3692
PPP,4,249,6115,245,4228
SSBB,4,238,6533,218,4290
SSBB+F,16,245,6290,230,3533

SSBB = Scoobysport Backbox
SSBB+F = SSBB + Filter

OK I know it doesn't take into account test conditions - fuel rating, mileage etc.etc - and some of the samples are small but it still makes interesting reading.

Conclusions:
Standard power &gt; official figures (nothing new there)
PPP = SSBB+F on Power but produces more Torque (due to different ECU?)

Next step: Test drive

Phil
Only interested in PPP so willing to do a deal with someone on the PPP&PD7s offer.

[This message has been edited by Phil Hammond (edited 14 March 2001). Should have known TABS wouldn't work!]

[This message has been edited by Phil Hammond (edited 14 March 2001).]
Old 14 March 2001, 02:00 PM
Deputy Dog
Scooby Regular

Question

Mike,
Lets turn this around a bit, how many PPP ecu chip's would scoobynet need to have an order for before you'd sell em to us??????? Obviously all chips would need to be fitted by an authorised dealer, to keep the network happy.
Old 14 March 2001, 02:11 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jason,

I wasn't trying to imply that alternatives to Prodrive should be considered a cheapskate approach. I was just trying to dispell the old cliche that scots are tight with money

I'd be happy to pay £2K on my car, but I want value for money and I'm not convinced the PPP is, especially when you compare it to the alternatives. OK, you could argue that it may well just be £500-£750, but I'd much rather have that available to spend on some decent suspension or a nice spoiler.

I nice healthy £500 discount would be nice on a group buy Oh look, isn't that a pig flying by. Yes, just in front of that blue moon

Stefan

[This message has been edited by ozzy (edited 14 March 2001).]
Old 14 March 2001, 02:11 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Phil,

I was under the impression that the whole idea of a PPP was to improve "driveability". Looking at figures alone doesnt tell the whole picture. The PPP produces around 50ft/lbs torque more than a WRX STI up to around 5000 revs. It pulls like a mother*****. Prodrive dont just produce "better bhp". They look at where you use the power everyday - not just on the track.

Did you ever read a evo review of modded Lotus Elises? They all had loads more BHP(mainly high in rev range) but had lost low down grunt. Therefore they were a lot slower "in the real world". The Lotus specific kit (135) stomped the modded cars in the mid range. Thats because lotus, like Prodrive, wanted to improve driveability over outright BHP figures.

Thats why you pay a premium. Its not just an exhaust and chip - months have been spent sorting out the car to make it more "driveable" as i see it. R&D costs!!! They have to pass those costs onto us to make money. Shame we have to pay the dealers a premium as well mind!!

On paper the WRX STI is a lot more powerful than the RB5 - but the RB5 is a better drivers car (see mags/reviews etc). Because time and effort has been spent getting it right where it counts - mid range.

Im getting the PPP asap (MIKE WOOD - IS IT READY YET!! ) for my MY01 WRX.

Im all for a "group buy" so come on Mike Wood, let us have some for less $$$!!!!

Jza
Old 14 March 2001, 02:20 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Jza,

I quite agree that Prodrive have come up with a great package. If you look at other ECU's they only sell you on the idea that BHP is everything.

The reason I still want the PPP is the torque. I'd also like an anti-lag system to get rid of the horrid turbo lag, but hey, you can't have everything

I don't agree that the price is OK just because of the R&D costs. Prodrive run the SWRT - what more R&D do you want! If other manufacturers can incorporate rally car development without over-inflating the costs, then why can't Prodrive. It's not like they're a small outfit.

I just believe that making the price more competitive would mean a lot more business for Prodrive. I'm telling you, it's a win win situation - honest guvnor.

Stefan
Old 14 March 2001, 02:31 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

I cant see that prodrive are doing anything with their chip that the others arent doing. In reality they are probably tuning the engine less as its warranted work, so they can go 100% like others who offer zero warranty.

I agree £2000 is way too much for what you get. Initially with limited competition Im sure it was an acceptable price, but things have now moved on, and there are lots of viable alternatives, most of which cost less.

You should be able to specify a package of add ons from prodrive direct, not via the dealer, thats the main problem, they are getting a cut as well.

Lets face it, how many want a PPP because its done by Prodrive, if I set up a company that could provide an identical service called DrivelPro (copyright ) would you purchase it if it was slightly cheaper? I wouldnt, I would want to be able to "bore" (copyright RS owners ) the people at the pub with the fact that prodrive who run the rally team did my car.

If the PPP was available with a full stainless system (with Cat), for £2000 I would certainly buy one, there would be no doubt in my mind at all.

robski
Old 14 March 2001, 02:34 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Fair point Ozzy.

Just that its not like some guys sitting with a laptop for an afternoon playing around! Good point though - they do run the rally team! So some of the experience must pay off in the road cars. Interested in what Mike Wood would say on that!

Subaru have us by the curlies with the warrenty so until my cars 3 years old i cant see any other option if i want the full warrenty intact!!

Jza
Old 14 March 2001, 02:39 PM
stage 1
Scooby Regular

LOL robski - we all know scooby owners were labelled as ****!
Old 14 March 2001, 02:50 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

I would be very surprised if Prodrive/MW will offer any bulk discount. How many £2000 packs do you think they would sell afterwards if the public found out that some people have got theirs for £1500 (or whatever)?

Ask most people with PPP's if they think they have got value for money and they will say YES. I have driven both a standard 99 and a PPP'd 99 and the difference in mid range grunt is MASSIVE. You can buy a Unichip for a lot less, but it will decrease the value of your can and desroy any warrenty you may have left.
Old 14 March 2001, 03:03 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Orville, why don't Prodrive reduce the rrp then. Also, I can't see anyone having a problem with the fact that a group of people got a bulk discount. It happens in every other walk of life, so why not here.

The only other Scoobies I've driven were all PPP cars, but I still went with the std car when I bought my RB5. Yes, I wish I hadn't, but I just couldn't justify the extra £2.5K. £25K was bad enough for the std car with some bigger wheels/tyres, aircon and some alacantra trim. People forget that all the extra bits were already available either from STI or existing Prodrive upgrades.

This whole Scooby ownership thing does make me scratch my head sometimes.

Anyway I'd better get on with some work.

Stefan

Quick Reply: On The Subject Of PPP... (also a poll)