Sponsored by:

STI hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2010, 10:40 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STI hatchback

Now that hatchback owners have had a while in their pride and joy whats their views as a daily car?

The reason im asking is that ive just traded my 07 hawk wrx for a 2008 sti hatch.

Last edited by bushiwarrior; 27 December 2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 27 December 2010, 10:45 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Still Loving mine, Mine was one of the 1st cars in march 2008 so its had a few changes since then. But it's my daily driver 400/430ft/lbs so its not too shabby. use it for work which is a 54 mile round trip 5 days a week and to be honest it only let me down with a knackered engine due to dodgy fuel. Other than that its held together very well indeed. Intend to keep it a while longer yet too
Old 27 December 2010, 10:50 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great car m8, ive now got the saloon 2011, BUT i do miss the hatch, i actually got a full size Roland Piano and Stand in the back, and that was massive, Never get that in my new baby.

hatch is the way to go much more practical, dog friendly also.

Good choice m8
Old 27 December 2010, 11:58 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have the wrxd for 18 months 18k miles and love it
Easy to live with and practical too ,good quality dash and bits and bobs ,
I love the look of it too
On gallery section there is a hugh thread about the new age hatches

Thats where we all hang out
Old 28 December 2010, 07:14 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

It's a great daily car really mate. I'm lucky enough to have owned a 02 bugeye WRX, 08 STI hatch and the latest a 07 hawkeye Spec C and also have driven a 07 hawkeye STI uk on a regular basis. Out of which, the STI hatch is easily the best daily car im my opinion.

It's easy to drive, has ample low-mid range torque, most comfortable seats, great high speed damping that makes crusing long distances a breeze as compared to the rest. Although a bit soft, it still does trackdays fairly well too. Oh and as an added bonus, it easily looks the least boy racer-ish (something you don't use too often on a Subaru ) too.
Old 28 December 2010, 10:14 AM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine almost three years now and it's been a good three years. No issues at all with my car and it's much more practicle than my previous Impreza's (also much better pereformance).

There have been issues with the Hatch's engine but keep it well maintained and possibly get a bespoke map and all should be well.

Normally change before the three year mark but will keep this one a little longer. Subaru are making it very difficult for themselves these days so this one looks like it will be the last for me.
Old 28 December 2010, 11:14 AM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
Still Loving mine, Mine was one of the 1st cars in march 2008 so its had a few changes since then. But it's my daily driver 400/430ft/lbs so its not too shabby. use it for work which is a 54 mile round trip 5 days a week and to be honest it only let me down with a knackered engine due to dodgy fuel. Other than that its held together very well indeed. Intend to keep it a while longer yet too
Did the 380 BHP on tap not have something to do with the blown engine, Rob ?
Old 28 December 2010, 03:57 PM
StrikE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulbu
I think the engine problem had something to do with a certain garage supplying normal unleaded instead of V-Power a mix up at the tanks nothing to do with poor Rob..... ouch
Old 29 December 2010, 02:15 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Loving mine too. So much more civilised than the Classic.
Old 29 December 2010, 02:44 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by paulbu
As Strike Rightly pointed out, The local shell station to me had been filling the V-power Tanks with normal 95 ron, we never knew until engines were starting to suffer, one lad in an evo had his on the rolling road and was detting its heart out so dropped the fuel, refilled with a fresh tank of v-power from elsewere and it was fine again. There was a thread on pistonheads about it a while back as this was the second time its happened in a year.
Old 29 December 2010, 04:41 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

I got mine in April 08 and on it's third engine but still love it. After a few tweeks on the suspension it works on motorways, A roads and B roads.
Old 29 December 2010, 05:03 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Three engines? Jeebus! I guess the fresh maps didn't really do what they needed to. Glad you're still enjoying it though.

I had one for a day (and 250 miles!) when my old Hawkeye went in for a service. Rubbish steering but went like a bat out of hell and felt nicely screwed together.
Old 29 December 2010, 06:25 PM
walsh128
Scooby Regular

Had mine over 2 years and its never missed a beat. Love the car to bits. Its amazingly quick with just a Prodrive box and custom remap and you can still get over 30 to the gallon in daily use. Ticks all the boxes for me.
Old 29 December 2010, 07:23 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ved
Three engines? Jeebus! I guess the fresh maps didn't really do what they needed to. Glad you're still enjoying it though.

I had one for a day (and 250 miles!) when my old Hawkeye went in for a service. Rubbish steering but went like a bat out of hell and felt nicely screwed together.
The first was before the reflash came out and the second was on a PPP map, which I think pushes the stock pistons too close to their failure point without the safety of a full custom map.

The third is just about run in now, with some added insurance this time. I'll see where I go from here but no plans to get rid of it.

The steering is overpowered but an ALK, bars and a good set up does make it feel a lot better.

Paul.
Old 29 December 2010, 08:40 PM
jho!
Scooby Regular

Will have had mine three years in March, and will not be changing it for a while yet.

The car is great and has so much potential to be fanstastic.

I have just changed the tyres to Yoko's Advan AD08 and even in this weather have totally transformed the car.
Old 30 December 2010, 09:58 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior
Now that hatchback owners have had a while in their pride and joy whats their views as a daily car?

The reason im asking is that ive just traded my 07 hawk wrx for a 2008 sti hatch.

I've had my 330S for about 9 months and I love it.
Its my 5th Impreza and dare I say its the best of the whole lot.
Much better build quality, much more nice to drive than my last MY05 STI and the amount of stuff you can put in the boot is unreal.

Enjoy your new purchase Jim

Who did you get it from - Eastwoods?

Pop in here too - loads of very helpful guys, including Rob84 who is a very knowledgeable guy
http://subaruhatch.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Last edited by urban; 30 December 2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 30 December 2010, 10:05 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
I've had my 330S for about 9 months and I love it.
Its my 5th Impreza and dare I say its the best of the whole lot.
Much better build quality, much more nice to drive than my last MY05 STI and the amount of stuff you can put in the boot is unreal.

Enjoy your new purchase Jim

Who did you get it from - Eastwoods?
yea got it from eastwoods aint had much driving in it as of yet but wont be long clocking up the miles im sure .Hows things your end?
Old 30 December 2010, 11:10 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

My hatch is better than my hawk in every single way, enjoy the new car, I'm sure you'll love it.

They are just such a good compromise between performance and practicality, had 4 x 3.3m lengths of decking in it the other morning, something I could never do in the hawk.
Old 30 December 2010, 08:08 PM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

Guys - looking for your advice on the hatch.

1. Noticed a few folk had mentioned engine probs or something from the hatch sti - did Subaru recall them to get it fixed or are their still plenty of hatches out there with this problem? I plan to potentially buy one early 2011 and keen to find out.

If they haven't been recalled and fixed, is this something that you should get done close to purchase if I do buy.

2. Also, my current Hawkeye feels very flimsy and a fly landing on it could almost cause a dent - are the hatches more sturdy?

3. I was VERY surprised that to insure a 2008 STI Hatch is actually cheaper than to insure my current 2006 WRX Hawkeye.......

Cheers guys.
Old 30 December 2010, 09:41 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScottishRayman

1. Noticed a few folk had mentioned engine probs or something from the hatch sti - did Subaru recall them to get it fixed or are their still plenty of hatches out there with this problem? I plan to potentially buy one early 2011 and keen to find out.

If they haven't been recalled and fixed, is this something that you should get done close to purchase if I do buy.

2. Also, my current Hawkeye feels very flimsy and a fly landing on it could almost cause a dent - are the hatches more sturdy?

3. I was VERY surprised that to insure a 2008 STI Hatch is actually cheaper than to insure my current 2006 WRX Hawkeye.......

Cheers guys.
hatches have had a few software updates and it apparently solved the issues fingers crossed.
Old 31 December 2010, 12:58 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.
Flimsy? I honestly thought they felt rather sturdy for a Japanese car. The hatch does have a stiffer chassis and does feel so over bad roads and the way the doors close, but that could well be due to the frame doors. Having said that, i don't think the body panels on the hatch are any thicker per se.
Old 31 December 2010, 12:13 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior
yea got it from eastwoods aint had much driving in it as of yet but wont be long clocking up the miles im sure .Hows things your end?
Dead on - can't complain.

Anyway - health to enjoy and all that.
Old 31 December 2010, 12:18 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.
1. Early cars had a map update to cure some issues, but it wasn't a recall per say
Has it fixed it - no idea to be honest

2. Are they more study, they certainly feel more sturdy with regards to doors etc

3. For me to insure a new 330S was £20 more that it was costing me to insure my old MY05 UK STI PPP