Sponsored by:

Subaru from Malta

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2010, 10:03 AM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru from Malta

Anyone ever bought a used Subaru that has come through from Malta? Anything to watch for apart from lack of alarm / immob? Any problems with insurance? Should assumingly be cheaper than 'UK' version?
Old 17 December 2010, 10:08 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Are you importing yourself?

If the car is already in the UK and was imported by SUBARU UK then it should have the Sigma fitted already etc. Or get an alarm fitted yourself mate.

No real difference in the Maltese car to a UK spec car.

My car is a Maltese import.

Steve
Old 17 December 2010, 10:23 AM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve

No it's a used one but obviously a lot cheaper than a 'uk' car and more in my price bracket. My only concern would probably be selling the car on.

Thanks
Old 17 December 2010, 10:53 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

To be honest mate. Shouldn't be a problem as it falls under Euro/UK spec car minus the Sigma etc.

Thats the only thing I'd make sure that is on the car.

Steve

Last edited by Stevesbluewrx; 17 December 2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 17 December 2010, 11:26 AM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Mines a grey import, from Beligium i believe. It was import by someone other tham IM (International Motors).
The only difference i know of was it didn't have an alarm i don't think, but the owner installed a Cliford Concept 600 Cat 1.
Mine was only in Beligium a very short time before coming over to the UK, virtually brand new i think.
Insurance checks did not register it was from the big island of EU! Just saw it as a UK car.
Tap the registration into a quote and see if it picks it up, i usually find the registrations quotes can't pick up are the expensive to insure ones lol.
As for selling i didn't buy a Subaru because insurance companies didn't pick the registration up and, but i was only 22 and needed a UK registered car.

Thanks
Sam
Old 17 December 2010, 11:43 AM
ajsscooby
Scooby Regular

Default Mine was from Malta

Hi, I got my 2006 Hawkeye brand new from Motorpoint, Maltese import so no alarm or Tracker. Had a Sigma cat1 + "Tracker" fitted by Motorpoint.

Other than that there are no issues, car was registered with Subaru UK for it's 3 year warranty. Serviced by local Subaru agent with no issues.

Latest (cheapest) insurance company website declined to offer insurance - saying "call agent", so I called, they said "import, can't offer". I said "they are all imported".
So I confirmed that it is UK spec (e.g. European spec R/H drive an not a conversion) and insurance was then offered - no probs.

Hope this helps.
Old 17 December 2010, 12:37 PM
mac05
Scooby Regular

I had a european spec my05 a while back for some strange reason it didnt have the controllable diff even though it was a facelift, I ended up wrighting it off after 2 days

Trending Topics

Old 17 December 2010, 02:39 PM
muzzler
Scooby Regular

Had an import bug eye from Virgin...identical to UK spec...motor point bought 200 Maltese WRX back in 05 and sold them for 14K each as subaru was doin g a big push there and it didn't work out.
Old 17 December 2010, 03:11 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

My last Hawk WRX and my current Hatch STI are are both Euro imports from Malta/cyprus, Hawk was definatly Cyprus.

Both been excellent, way better value than UK cars (inc spec sometimes) and IM (Subaru UK) have been brillaint looking after them including a few warranty claims.

Hawk was brought new from an independent guy and IIRC we paid about £16500, brand spanking new, had an immobilser as standard and it just needed a piggy back CAT2 fitted for about £200, IMHO probably a better alsrm anyway than the Subaru UK one, also needed to fit locking wheel nuts and floor mats, it had nicer front seats than the UK cars but did not have side airbags, some imports were spec's with these though.

Current Hatch, exaxctly same as UK STI apart from alarm and nuts again, however fitted standard with winter pack which inc heated seats, mirrors and wiper element.

As said IM have been fab and this year sorted me out with 4 new alloys as originals had started to peel and a new battery.

If you need a chat pop me a pm and your number.

Cheers
A
Old 17 December 2010, 03:13 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Oh, and insurance same as UK, warranty starts from when it hits UK shores and not from registration/sale date.