Sponsored by:

Hayward&Scott SERIOUS fitment problems

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2010, 01:48 PM
Setright
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hayward&Scott SERIOUS fitment problems

So, I decided to dig deep into my pockets and fork out for a Hayward&Scott manifold. For my turbo-less Imp. The really tidy looking one, with a race-cat in - keeping it legal.

This one here...which you will notice is NOT CHEAP!!

http://www.haywardan...h-flow-cat.html

The darn thing arrived a month later and DID NOT FIT!! It was 20mm too narrow compared to the exhaust ports on the engine, and a COLLOSAL 40mm too short. The collection of 2-1 at the cat is too far forward and it ends up fouling the engine subframe, the gearbox subframe, the hanger it was meant to bolt onto, and the rear flange won't reach to the midpipe.

I took a string of pictures and sent off to H&S - I live overseas. They told me this couldn't be, it was impossible for it to be too short. WELL HELLO??? If the stupid thing would fit, I would just bolt it on, wouldn't I?? I don't spend that kind of money, just to mess about.

This story turns really nasty, since I sent the manifold back, and it got "lost" in the post. The tracking details follow it to arrival at Heathrow airport, where it dissappeared. Got nicked most likely.

I sent it with the state carrier, with track&trace, which means it's got a standard insurance on it...which works by calculating a maximum compensation by the weight of the parcel. That means I will receive only £90 !

Granted, Hayward & Scott are not to blame for the mysterious disappearance, but if they made a real QUALITY product, that FIT FIRST TIME, I wouldn't have needed to send it back, would I?

In fact the "Distance Selling" regulations of The Sale of Goods Act states that I am only obliged to make the defective product available for collection, but H&S abused my goodwill and pressured me into sending the manifold myself. That means it becomes my responsibilty under UK law.

YES, I am well pissed off!

H&S have given me a hard-luck story, about them not being able to afford to make another manifold....WHAT ABOUT ME? THE CUSTOMER who paid an enormous sum of money for a completely useless manifold.

They even had the cheekiness to suggest that my car was to blame, or even the authorised Subaru dealer that attempted to fit the manifold. It was suggested that we may have done "something stupid".

HOW??? It's a manifold, and the six head studs dictate the positioning.

I have avoided slandering H&S on the web, since I have been trying to get them to help me out, and honour their warranty and indeed live up to their reputation, but since this case has hit a dead end, and I bear the loss of over £1000, I thought I would share my experience here on Scoobynet. Might save other Subaru owner's some problems in the future.

(I have since then fit a Borla system to my car. It was a PERFECT fit.)
Old 16 December 2010, 01:57 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Setright
WELL HELLO???
Are you a 15 year old girl?
Old 16 December 2010, 02:03 PM
Setright
Scooby Regular

Don't be trollin' !
Old 16 December 2010, 02:10 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Don't be trollin' !
I've read through this and it does sound suspicious, you order a £1000 exhaust get it and then claim that it doesn't fit.... I presume you've taken photographs?
Old 16 December 2010, 02:12 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not good if their exhaust does not fit & if so then I would be well pee'd off too.

But unfortunately none of it can be verified by H&S as it was lost in transit, its your word against theirs. The worst of it unfortunatley is that you sent a £1000 exhaust to a different country with a £90 cover for loss!!!!!! I feel for you mate but that was a daft thing to do. Hope it works out somehow.
Old 16 December 2010, 02:16 PM
Setright
Scooby Regular

You have NOT read through it.

I took a bundle of pictures.

I sent the manifold back, and have all the relevant documentation to prove that I sent it.
Old 16 December 2010, 02:17 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many years ago I took my car to a garage (Pete Croney) that happened to be next door to H&S and asked for one of their decats to be fitted. It just about fitted, but banged and clonked everywhere underneath on the short road test around the estate. Back to H&S - "must be your car, mate"...After a unnecessarily long time arguing otherwise, they finally agreed to try another one out of their stock - lo and behold it fitted perfectly and no banging and clonking.
Draw your own conclusions.

RCM kit is expensive, but it fits every time...There's a reason for that.

Trending Topics

Old 16 December 2010, 02:18 PM
Setright
Scooby Regular

People, how is a layman to know what sort of extra insurance must be taken out on parcels? Track and Trace shouldn't be able to go missing.

This is why UK LAW states that the webshop should arrange for collection of defective or unwanted goods.
Old 16 December 2010, 02:19 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics ?

H&S are the business for customer care in my experience.

On the basis that all their standard fit items are made on jigs, they would be making every manifold incorrect to date.

What car is it you bought it for, 2.5, 2.0 ltr impreza forester, legacy...?
Old 16 December 2010, 02:19 PM
Setright
Scooby Regular

Thanks FatBoy :-)
Old 16 December 2010, 02:20 PM
Setright
Scooby Regular

Bought for a N/A 2.0.

The exhaust port flanges were 20mm to close. That is UNBELIEVABLE. The exhaust port mounting has been the same on ALL the EJ-series engines since 1989....N/A and Turbo.
Old 16 December 2010, 02:23 PM
Setright
Scooby Regular

rickya, it's not just my word.

Fitting was attempted by at an Authorised Subaru Dealer. I have a signed statement from them to indicate that it did not fit.

H&S couldn't care less....they have taken payment....and customer service apparently is not a priority.
Old 16 December 2010, 02:24 PM
Scooby Senior

Sounds like you're buggered then

Lot's of satisfied H&S customers on snet, I doubt your thread will get much support tbh. You are better off getting proper advice rather than venting, even if that does seem hard atm

Good luck fella
Old 16 December 2010, 02:25 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

People, how is a layman to know what sort of extra insurance must be taken out on parcels?
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out insurance levels if you've managed to get that basic requirement fluffed it makes the rest of your story less credible - lets see the pictures then...
Old 16 December 2010, 02:33 PM
Setright
Scooby Regular

http://www.imprezasport.net/forums/i...pic=23798&st=0
Old 16 December 2010, 02:33 PM
muzzler
Scooby Regular

Used H&S three times now and their products have been spot on, service excellent...think there is more than meets the eye here?
Old 16 December 2010, 02:35 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

ignore DCI he just likes to upset people, stick him on ignore and forget about the idiot.

all you need to do is look at the pics to see that they have sent a faulty item.

did you pay on your credit card? if so make a claim through them.

Last edited by Jamo; 16 December 2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 16 December 2010, 02:38 PM
Setright
Scooby Regular

I have explained my story, very honestly, and I can see that people here are generally very happy with Hayward & Scott, as I expected. I could have lied, and just ranted.

Unfortunately, no amount of happy and pleased customers here on Scoobynet will alter the fact that the manifold I bought didn't fit, and that H&S haven't tried to help me out.

They told me they would pay for the return freight...I never saw a penny.
Old 16 December 2010, 02:41 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

i have always made sure that whatever i send,its always insured to cover the full amount of the parcel.even if it has cost me extra out of my own pocket.better to be safe than sorry.
Old 16 December 2010, 02:47 PM
T0M HV
Scooby Regular

ive got a catback H&S system, fit perfectly adn sounds awesome.. their customer service was spot on to be fair..
Old 16 December 2010, 02:51 PM
Scooby Senior

Since I still have not heard back from them, as promised. I now intend to initiate a "small claim procedure" as indicated in the information on the pages you kindly linked to.
and ...?

10 months on, this story is a little old without new information
Old 16 December 2010, 03:06 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

He lost his case (almost a year old) and is "using Scoobynet" to slag off the supplier... very big and clever....

I don't see any options left rather than to exploit the internet as the "soapbox" that it is....expect a few good threads on scoobynet and the like. I will keep it "clean" and not just rant and swear, but I think the Subaru public has a right to know not only how shoddy a product I received, but also how arrogant Hayward & Scott have been.
Old 16 December 2010, 03:06 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Having just read the full thread on the link posted I think your treatment by H&S it truly abismal I was considering purchasing a H&S system but I won't bother now if that's the way they treat customers when a problem arises.

I think that they were well aware of the impact of you returning the faulty item yourself and they were 'fortunate' that it went missing en route, plus they knew that they could fob you off.

I contacted Milltek recently and they could not have been more helpful.

It sounds like the three monkeys work at customer service at H&S - hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.
Old 16 December 2010, 03:15 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
He lost his case (almost a year old) and is "using Scoobynet" to slag off the supplier... very big and clever....
He lost his case as H&S asked him to return the goods himself, and fortunately for H&S the delivery went missing.

I would imagine that H&S were well aware of the legislation regarding the seller being responsible for the return being their duty and then shifted the burden onto the OP by making him return it.

The fact still remains that the 'goods were not fit for purpose' and based around that any reputable company would offer a goodwill payment even if the delivery went missing, after all they would probably have been scrapped when they received them back.
Old 16 December 2010, 03:19 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

From the suppliers POV he claimed an issue and then was unable to provide the evidence, I'm certain that if the unit had been properly returned (or insured) then this wouldn't be an issue today - the issue is due to a failure on the part of the OP, for not insisting collection and for not ensuring that the parcel was properly insured.

Not the cliquey party line but the accurate one.
Old 16 December 2010, 03:27 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Why would you put a £1000 manifold on a non turbo, would it make that much of a difference?
Old 16 December 2010, 03:50 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

I also know a couple of people who have bought exhaust from h@s and the fit was sh1te, as was the customer service.

Just going by what ive heard is enough to keep me from buying from them.
Old 16 December 2010, 04:06 PM
peter a
Scooby Regular

oh i was going in there to have a complete 3inch system fitted with a sports cat after xmas, maybe i won't?
Old 16 December 2010, 04:23 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by peter a
oh i was going in there to have a complete 3inch system fitted with a sports cat after xmas, maybe i won't?
Had my system custom made to fit my downpipe. Easy drive in, measured, welded fitted, job done.

Would use Ian at H&S without question

Fitting is also mostly free, have sent numerous friends down to Basildon to have sytems fitted no probs. $hit happens but not to everyone
Old 16 December 2010, 04:43 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, I feel for you setright, but what year car did you order the manifold for?
Also H&S said they would refund you the postage, trouble is they never received that package, hence you dont get your postage paid....

TBH H&S are in all rights not to provide you with another exhaust system as they have not received their original one back, sorry to say that but its true, and H&S are normally very good at replacing faulty/incorrect parts if they have them returned.

Unfortunately ranting away will do nothing for you, all you can say is that x does not fit y, but unless H&S say the same after checking said item, no hope, its not a free world and it would put them out of pocket to just give you a new system for no exchange.
Points to make are that you should insure the item fully when sending back, thats not H&S's fault, that is yours and you should learn by that as that was your fault.

Tony

Quick Reply: Hayward&Scott SERIOUS fitment problems