Sponsored by:

Bathroom overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2010, 03:48 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bathroom overhaul

I am looking to get my bathroom re-done but dont know where to start! Can someone recommend a decent source inorder for me to get it done?

Also what sort of prices will i be looking at to get the bathroom tiled, basin fitted, bath tub fitted, shower & a new bog fitted?

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Old 01 December 2010, 03:56 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine cost just over £4k, stripped out completely, dry lined, fully tiled, bath, shower, toilet, basin, all the plumbing, halogen spots in the ceiling, extractor, shaver socket etc.

Try to find a good local bathroom fitter, preferably someone recommended to you by friends etc.

Our builder did ours as part of an ongoing refurbishment project on the house. It needed redoing as the location of the main soil pipe had to change.
Old 01 December 2010, 04:22 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Your bath sounds nice. However i just want to keep mine simple but yet half decent. There must be some good reasonable labour out there but its too hard to proceed with someone you know nothing about as how they will do the job.
Old 01 December 2010, 04:23 PM
stoney dooby doo
Scooby Regular

where do ya live? im a plumber, done loads of bathrooms, with tiled walls,floors etc
Old 01 December 2010, 08:12 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

I am located in South London mate. What are the average prices? The bathroom is not too big.
Old 01 December 2010, 08:22 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

I,m in South London myself, this type of work is what myself and the guy that works for me do for a living, more than happy to give you a quote, and can also show you jobs we have done. We are fully booked until end of feb, PM me if i can be of any help. Jay
Old 02 December 2010, 12:30 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Mine cost just over £4k, stripped out completely, dry lined, fully tiled, bath, shower, toilet, basin, all the plumbing, halogen spots in the ceiling, extractor, shaver socket etc.

Try to find a good local bathroom fitter, preferably someone recommended to you by friends etc.

Our builder did ours as part of an ongoing refurbishment project on the house. It needed redoing as the location of the main soil pipe had to change.
I had mine done about 2.5 years ago and it was about 4.5K
Stuff cost about 2.5K I think, and the labour was around 2K
Shower was an Aqualisa quarts digital - fantastic shower by the way!
I also got a remote start fitted - great idea too. Just start the thing remotely and then get into a warm shower

It took them about 6 day of solid work.

3 guys arrived on a Monday - stripped the bathroom, did a wee bit of plastering etc

I also had a PVC ceiling fitted

Trending Topics

Old 02 December 2010, 01:38 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

We've just had 3 of the walls re-tiled in the bathroom, a new sink and unit, new fittings, new shower, kept the original bath as modern ones are too shallow and had the floor tiled. All in its cost us about £800.

Our bathroom is very small so not too costly.
Old 02 December 2010, 02:20 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
We've just had 3 of the walls re-tiled in the bathroom, a new sink and unit, new fittings, new shower, kept the original bath as modern ones are too shallow and had the floor tiled. All in its cost us about £800.

That sounds more realistic. Would you know what the height, length & width is of your bathroom in meters?
Old 02 December 2010, 02:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott

£800? Pah........think what you could have done to your model railway for that?
Old 02 December 2010, 03:36 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
£800? Pah........think what you could have done to your model railway for that?
Don't even go there!!

The new kitchen is coming on 5th January and that should be under £4K (£2K for the units, £1K for the oven and hobs bits and £1K for floor & wall tiles and new ceiling fitted.

What started off as a minor insurance job on a leaky bathroom fitting damaging the kitchen ceiling has become a new bathroom and kitchen. The insurance money at the start was going to pay for just about everything and now its barely paid for the bathroom.

Theres a very nice mica blue classic in Wakefield that I was going to buy whilst visiting the wifes folks but needless to say thats gone for a burton.

Still, we've been in the house 10 years and largely neglected it so its due a bit of money spending on it.

Originally Posted by Aladdin
That sounds more realistic. Would you know what the height, length & width is of your bathroom in meters?
I can measure if you like but I know the floor tiles were only 3m square. The bath and toilet are seperate. The main wall is only as long as the bath and the side walls about half that.

I think we spent about £200 on tiles, £150 on a 650cm sink and vanity unit. £150 on taps (wife wanted one of those silly old fashioned telephone shower mixer things) £150 on the shower and the chap who did it all charges £20 a square metre fitting the tiles. Its about £800 odd.

Price difference on the taps and sinks is the big cost IMO. Some of those vanity units are £300 plus and the taps were as much as £700.
Old 02 December 2010, 04:03 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

In your own that would be great. Who did you use for the labour & are they willing to travel?

Thanks