Sponsored by:

Forester Owners

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2010, 08:25 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forester Owners

Live in the wilds of Devon and currently have a Navara but it's just too long as the daily drive. I don't use the Navara to go off roading mainly just to get to work at this time of year. We have serious hills on serious unsalted lanes would the Forester cope with the right tyres? What I don't like with the Navara apart from the length is that you aren't suppose to use 4wd all the time only when you need it whereas I'd rather feel planted all the time without the hassle of changing back and forth.
Old 30 November 2010, 09:05 PM
Rosy
Scooby Regular

I have a forester xt and we have 30 inches of snow here in the northumberland hills, for the last five days and even more last winter, not only is it capable but very confidence inspiring. And great fun want you want that too. I have a 2 mile section of road that is single untreated track and at least one 1 in 5 incline.

The tyres make a difference though as my P1 have summer toyos and have more four wheel spinning moments. My turbo 2000 has all season tyres and is a step up (narrower all seasons) but put it like this - My wife had to get to work last Thursday and knew she would be ploughing home through snow - she grabs the forester keys!!! It reaches places others just wont (with the right tyres - read awd not 4wd)

Good luck with your choice!!!
Old 05 December 2010, 05:17 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

Hi Norman,

I live in Devon and the past two winters I have taken my legacy on nokian WRG2 winter tyres up onto dartmoor. The first year was worse than last winter, with 6 foot drifts but where it hadn't drifted it couldn't stop me. The only difference with the forrester is you will have even more clearance. I would say go for it, get a decent set of winter tyres for it and you will be sorted.

Just in case you need some more persuading though, here's some pics:

Italy, xmas 2008:

dartmoor feb 2009 (note stuck mitsubishi):

dartmoor jan 2010: