Leon Cupraa R

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2010, 09:03 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leon Cupraa R

Saturday night .......

Was going to see a friend of mine ,poped into Shell p station to top up and i see a nice cupra R coming in ... Really nice looking car and i heard they handle good as well ... So i filled up and here comes the driver , young lad ... I asked him is it remaped ? The answer was YES ...EVERYTHING..... Then i asked the how many ponys and tourque he had , 390/380.... Me : on the standart internals? Lad: Yes, thats about max they could take on stock internals. As we are heading towards M25 'obviously' we had some play....From rolling he started pushing i'm chasing .... I don't know the cars weight but he wasn't running 2 much away from me.... Then the big roundabout comes and there comes the fun.... I left him for dead there, mabye he wasn't pushing or smtn but my mirror showed me he's way back... then he cought up, an we are on The ***** road , again we roll bout 40ish and here we go again..... It wasn't that bad as i thought it would be to be honest, i thought it would eat me alive and yes it did at the beginning 4th and up gear it started leaving me. ..... I could chase him but it would be well over the limit so i let him go....

My classic is no more 300bhp... not much done, exhaust , skimmed heads, 1.0 bar max 1260kg , but it kept very well with such big power car.... everytime you want to go for a change and smtn like that happens , i realize what great car it was back then and even it's almost 14 years old it sill puts a big smile on my face..... Great fun for not alot of money.

Regards Cupra R ..... 350/350 classic would eat it for breakfast....

Old 29 November 2010, 09:09 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I had the previous shape LCR, it handled like a barge without a rudder. Great in a straight line (and REVO remapped) but on the whole a very disappointing drive. Where the scoob flatters an average driver and inspires confidence enticing you onto the B-Roads, the LCR just suited dual carridgeways and motorways.
Old 29 November 2010, 09:22 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I guess at 390 horses vs 300 the Cupra would eventually pull away ... you must be a slow driver though fella as you should be miles away by the time his wheels stop spinning

TX.

PS

When are these super fast FWD cars gonna test themselves at the 30-130 day
Old 29 November 2010, 09:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Great: more posts about racing on the public highway. The Impreza's reputation goes from low to lower........
Old 29 November 2010, 10:05 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Great: more posts about racing on the public highway. The Impreza's reputation goes from low to lower........
oh shut up!
I dispise righteous posts like this. If you're trying to tell us that you've never ever broken the speed limit or tried to out accelerate anything then you're lying, simple. You wouldnt have an Impreza otherwise. People dont buy performance cars just to potter about everywhere.

I agree there is a time and a place for it but I'd be lying my *** off if I'd said I've never launched from the lights or tried to out accelerate someone and I think you are too.

Back on topic, I had an 09 Leon Cupra as a company car. It was a great car to a point. Very good as a daily driver but when pushed, grip and handling were non existant. I took it on a track day as I had the car for a month after I got made redundant and cained it as much as I could. It felt horrendous under heavy breaking and sure as hell was nowhere near as sure footed as My 13 year old classic.
Old 29 November 2010, 10:07 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Are we talking about the Mk1 or Mk2 car?

If Mk1, He was fibbing about the output. A stage 2 remapped car on standard turbo will give no more than 300bhp. If he had the IHI big turbo conversion, 350/360bhp maximum. Aswell as the IHI turbo being maxed out at that, any reputable VAG tuner would not go beyond 350bhp on stock internals. The 1.8T engine is at its maximum at this level, any more and the rods are in danger.

As to performance, if you get 1 in 3rd gear onwards with a genuine 350bhp, you would need to be in an Impreza with at least 450hp to match it/eek away. The tip is to catch them out in 1st/2nd whilst they are struggling for grip.

If its the 2.0t mk2 car, then these are 911 quick at 360bhp from 70-150. Evo ran a test of a Mk2 revo tuned Cupra 360 a year or so ago and that was their verdict, not mine.
Old 29 November 2010, 10:12 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

edit:^^^ how spooky is that! His name was Mich to, your not a Kernow are you??

Mate at work had one. All i can say is jet roller skate. Once the wheels stop spinning they handle really well, and iirc the gearing is a lot longer than ours too, seemed to take forever to get into top.
I wouldn't mind bumping into him now though as i think the traction would have him off the line.(i was rwd at the time) And as TX says above, you should be long gone before he gets any decent grip.

Last edited by Glowplug; 29 November 2010 at 10:15 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 29 November 2010, 10:19 PM
gravy88
Scooby Regular

I had an Ibiza cupra running about 200bhp. Was a nippy car, but the handling was very poor, if you pushed it the back end would pop out and u've had it. I had weitec coilovers, strutbraces and good tyres. I never felt confident to give it some round a corner
Old 29 November 2010, 10:21 PM
Scoobyworld
Sponsor

Location: Full Workshop facilities - EcuTek Remapping - Huge Range of Performance Parts

We've a 2008 Cupra this end which we've tuned to just shy of 360bhp running Revo stage 2+ software on our Dyno and it's seriously quick. More than a match for a moderately tuned Impreza, if you can get the power down in the dry. In the wet it's a different story, as expected with fwd.

Great car!

Neil
Old 29 November 2010, 11:03 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Scoobyworld
We've a 2008 Cupra this end which we've tuned to just shy of 360bhp running Revo stage 2+ software on our Dyno and it's seriously quick. More than a match for a moderately tuned Impreza, if you can get the power down in the dry. In the wet it's a different story, as expected with fwd.

Great car!

Neil
Which neatly sums up why a grown up would rather have a Scooby...

dunx
Old 29 November 2010, 11:14 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Well i'm not 17 and it's not happening very often, it were 2 blast for 20secs max...wide opened 3 lane roads late evening. I bet we all had some moments like this in the entire life ??? And of course ..track days are the places for the kind of events....

Originally Posted by b13bat
edit:^^^ how spooky is that! His name was Mich to, your not a Kernow are you??

Mate at work had one. All i can say is jet roller skate. Once the wheels stop spinning they handle really well, and iirc the gearing is a lot longer than ours too, seemed to take forever to get into top.
I wouldn't mind bumping into him now though as i think the traction would have him off the line.(i was rwd at the time) And as TX says above, you should be long gone before he gets any decent grip.

We were rolling bud, about 40-50ish when he started pushing...so it's not stand still so i doubt he had 2 much wheels spin , only thing i saw it was pulling slowly away till the roundabout ...

Last edited by mantazini; 29 November 2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 29 November 2010, 11:25 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
Are we talking about the Mk1 or Mk2 car?

If Mk1, He was fibbing about the output. A stage 2 remapped car on standard turbo will give no more than 300bhp. If he had the IHI big turbo conversion, 350/360bhp maximum. Aswell as the IHI turbo being maxed out at that, any reputable VAG tuner would not go beyond 350bhp on stock internals. The 1.8T engine is at its maximum at this level, any more and the rods are in danger.

As to performance, if you get 1 in 3rd gear onwards with a genuine 350bhp, you would need to be in an Impreza with at least 450hp to match it/eek away. The tip is to catch them out in 1st/2nd whilst they are struggling for grip.

If its the 2.0t mk2 car, then these are 911 quick at 360bhp from 70-150. Evo ran a test of a Mk2 revo tuned Cupra 360 a year or so ago and that was their verdict, not mine.
It was 09 plate so must be Mark 2... If i continued to push to his limits , the gap would be enormous i could see that straight away, But i'm responsible driver and its unacceptable to drive like that on the public roads... I have my limits, i bet we all do... It just reminded me of what i drive.....

Last edited by mantazini; 29 November 2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 29 November 2010, 11:35 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyworld

Average straight line car!

Neil
Edited for Accuracy because wet or dry on the twisties they are sh*te.

It makes sense now that you said you didnt have time to get mine on the dyno when I came to get it mapped. Thankfully Paul at Zen was more accomodating and said we could use his rollers to map it.

It looks like average cars are more your thing.
Old 30 November 2010, 12:30 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Edited for Accuracy because wet or dry on the twisties they are sh*te.

It makes sense now that you said you didnt have time to get mine on the dyno when I came to get it mapped. Thankfully Paul at Zen was more accomodating and said we could use his rollers to map it.

It looks like average cars are more your thing.

Well i don't think that impreza is the best handling car in the world.... even i drive one... Modern FWD cars are very capable indeed ... Like focus RS which was a fair match for hatch impreza..... I like the scoob because of its character, the amount of grip , mechanical feel of the car were the driver is very involved , maybe its because it's a v3 sti with less driver helping bugs. But there are pros and cons on every car, it just ticks the boxes in everything i need from a fun car.... As i remember, talking about FWD integra dc5 and toyota celica at TA where very fast as well...and both of them were 600+ bhp. At the end of the day we chose what the best we can get from the budget we have, if it was unlimited, the choise is huge and very atractive indeed..

Last edited by mantazini; 30 November 2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 30 November 2010, 12:49 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

FWD cars are ****e. All this bollocks about trick diffs is just nonsense. Put any real power through a front wheel drive car and you're going to have plenty of handling and traction issues regardless of how funky your diff is.

I know someone who has just had is 09 Focus RS tuned to about 420bhp and he says its ruined the car. It wheel spins everywhere and its torque steer galore.

My 13 year old V3 Type R on the other hand is 600bhp it just has basic suspension mods on at the mo with a set of 10 year old knackered tein basic coilovers two of which leak. The geometry is all wrong since i painted the underneath of the car and just threw everything back on. I also havent had the geo set up properly since and it still handles better than my 09 Cupra ever did.

As Time Attack Clearly shows an Impreza with well sorted suspension and handling is bloody hard to beat.

I'd take my 13 year old classic scooby over any of the modern trick diff equiped FWD cars any day.
Old 30 November 2010, 12:58 AM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWD cars are ****e. All this bollocks about trick diffs is just nonsense. Put any real power through a front wheel drive car and you're going to have plenty of handling and traction issues regardless of how funky your diff is.

I know someone who has just had is 09 Focus RS tuned to about 420bhp and he says its ruined the car. It wheel spins everywhere and its torque steer galore.

My 13 year old V3 Type R on the other hand is 600bhp it just has basic suspension mods on at the mo with a set of 10 year old knackered tein basic coilovers two of which leak. The geometry is all wrong since i painted the underneath of the car and just threw everything back on. I also havent had the geo set up properly since and it still handles better than my 09 Cupra ever did.

As Time Attack Clearly shows an Impreza with well sorted suspension and handling is bloody hard to beat.

I'd take my 13 year old classic scooby over any of the modern trick diff equiped FWD cars any day.
+1 to that daz,my mate paul has just had his focus ST tuned to 350 bhp and what aload of rubbish it is in 1st,2nd in the dry and then 3rd when wet also.
I'll take my old classic any day of the week.
Old 30 November 2010, 01:29 AM
P1 LTD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
+1 to that daz,my mate paul has just had his focus ST tuned to 350 bhp and what aload of rubbish it is in 1st,2nd in the dry and then 3rd when wet also.
I'll take my old classic any day of the week.

I totally agree with you both with that kind of power to put down AWD is BEST
Old 30 November 2010, 08:16 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

+1 for the above ,my mate had a focus st tuned by wolf racing a few years ago,he spent £12,000 on engine parts and lsd to take it up to 300bhp.
In the dry it would wheelspin like you simply would not believe,but once it was moving was quite a rapid motor. In the wet it was 'game over',damn near impossible to get the power down in the 1st three gears .

The thing with awd turbo cars imho is they are quite easy to drive fast ,and inspire confidence when you realise how much grip you actually have .
You dont get the tyre smoking ,tail out action like i use to get in my 3 door sierra cosworth ,or the horrible torque/under - steer like i had in my old mg montego turbo,just grip and lots of it.

Last edited by midnight; 30 November 2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 30 November 2010, 08:25 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

oh shut up!
I dispise righteous posts like this. If you're trying to tell us that you've never ever broken the speed limit or tried to out accelerate anything then you're lying, simple. You wouldnt have an Impreza otherwise. People dont buy performance cars just to potter about everywhere.

I agree there is a time and a place for it but I'd be lying my *** off if I'd said I've never launched from the lights or tried to out accelerate someone and I think you are too.
Wrong! How wrong can one person be, Daz?

NO-ONE said I never did it, or that noone did it, BUT I DON'T BRAG ABOUT IT ON A PUBLIC FORUM.

Perhaps YOU would like to see MORE posts like the above, so the police, who DO read these forums, can be alerted and ready?

And YOU have the gall to call ME righteous? LOL

Oh, and don't bother trying to bully me either mate, been there and I wasn't impressed We've already had all the "I only live 23 miles from you" stuff, thanks.
Old 30 November 2010, 08:51 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Perhaps YOU would like to see MORE posts like the above, so the police, who DO read these forums, can be alerted and ready?.

Is that a reference to my post ,as i cant see what the problem is, if the police are reading it . I dont know about everyone else on scoobynet but personally i had my std 143mph uk turbo remapped to increase the performance ,not to cruise round mcdonalds, with the stereo pounding.
I have had performance cars for the last 20 years+ for one reason ,and one reason only to drive and enjoy . Fact is everybody speeds,including my 72 year old mother who recently got done for doing 37 mph in a 30 ,in her chevrolet/daewoo matiz
Old 30 November 2010, 09:40 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight

Is that a reference to my post ,as i cant see what the problem is, if the police are reading it . I dont know about everyone else on scoobynet but personally i had my std 143mph uk turbo remapped to increase the performance ,not to cruise round mcdonalds, with the stereo pounding.
I have had performance cars for the last 20 years+ for one reason ,and one reason only to drive and enjoy . Fact is everybody speeds,including my 72 year old mother who recently got done for doing 37 mph in a 30 ,in her chevrolet/daewoo matiz
Nah m8, i gues it was a reference to the thread... As i mentioned it was a very shot blast not racing, shach mat between the other cars or smtn... just a couple pulls , that's it . As i said i had my own limits ( legal ) and i let him go straight after it was to ridiculous to continue.

Old 30 November 2010, 09:56 AM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

well ive got to be honest, owt over 300bhp in a every day front wheel drive is a waste, i had 307bhp im my mk4 astra gsi, even dry weather would spin the wheels into 3rd under full beans. in the wet it was drastic, if you came up on a slight bit of boost on a roundabout and you had wheel spin and ended up going straight on.

got to admit tho it did shock a few plp in the dry and the lad i sold it to run a 13.1 at santa pod
Old 30 November 2010, 10:18 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

oh shut up!

Back on topic, I had an 09 Leon Cupra as a company car. It was a great car to a point. Very good as a daily driver but when pushed, grip and handling were non existant. I took it on a track day as I had the car for a month after I got made redundant and cained it as much as I could. It felt horrendous under heavy breaking and sure as hell was nowhere near as sure footed as My 13 year old classic.

My mate has just got an 07 Leon Cupra. He labelled it the Scooby Eater! I had to laugh!
Old 30 November 2010, 10:49 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Guys, in straight lines, these things move.

I mean who actually drives on the edge on winding B roads nowadays? Seriously? Surely the majority of us drive in straight lines, Motorways, A roads, even most B roads have long straights. Even the trip to the supermarket is all straight

This handling bol*ocks is for track queens, 99% of us will never go near a race track.

There's nothing like bigging your own cars up lol.
Old 30 November 2010, 11:36 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I mean who actually drives on the edge on winding B roads nowadays? Seriously? Surely the majority of us drive in straight lines, Motorways, A roads, even most B roads have long straights. Even the trip to the supermarket is all straight

This handling bol*ocks is for track queens, 99% of us will never go near a race track.

**** all touches a Scoob mate. Fastest cars in the world they are. My mates got one and...
Old 30 November 2010, 11:45 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Wrong! How wrong can one person be, Daz?

NO-ONE said I never did it, or that noone did it, BUT I DON'T BRAG ABOUT IT ON A PUBLIC FORUM.

Perhaps YOU would like to see MORE posts like the above, so the police, who DO read these forums, can be alerted and ready?

And YOU have the gall to call ME righteous? LOL

Oh, and don't bother trying to bully me either mate, been there and I wasn't impressed We've already had all the "I only live 23 miles from you" stuff, thanks.

LOL Al stop being such a weapons grade **** spanner the only time i've offered to travel to your neck of the woods was me making you a genuine offer of mechanical help. Which of course you turned down because you're a gobsh*te keyboard warrior who hasn't the ***** to actually meet someone in real life.
Old 30 November 2010, 11:48 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
**** all touches a Scoob mate. Fastest cars in the world they are. My mates got one and...

Was it the one with 700 bhp on a standart gear box
Old 30 November 2010, 11:54 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

That's just it though, they are only any good in straight lines. Like I said before I've had the best of both worlds as I had an 09 Cupra as a company car, I wasnt that impressed with it. For example, If I wanted to come off a roundabout to a dualcarriage way quickly and come on WOT as soon as I could it would understeer for a brief moment before the TC kicked in and slowed me down big time. With the TC turned off it just understeered. yes it could be managed by some deft throttle control but then you've lost momentum and you have to build up power all over again.

Great straight line cars but get them on the boil on anything but motorways and dual carriageways and you begin to find their short comings quite quickly.

Also just because you dont like, or cant drive properly on anything but, straight roads doesnt mean the rest of us cant ;-)

Last edited by dazdavies; 30 November 2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 30 November 2010, 11:56 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mantazini

Was it the one with 700 bhp on a standart gear box
I've got 600bhp and a standard gearbox does that count?
Old 30 November 2010, 11:57 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Passed plenty of fwd VAG group cars this morning and it was a dead straight road with no bends

Quick Reply: Leon Cupraa R