Sponsored by:

my01 ppp v my00 std ...

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2001, 10:47 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

i know the ppp is not ready yet but... bearing in mind the new cars extra weight and therefore lower bhp per ton is the ppp likley to put the 01 on a par with an 00 in terms of straight line ooomphh?
this is asked assuming the ppp does a similar job to what it used to and that bhp per ton is what its all about- which of course it may not be! andif it aint then what is?

tiggs

getting ppp when ready and wanting to be very excited about it rather than slightly curious!
Old 11 March 2001, 08:05 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

One of the first questions, is how far a MY01's performance is really off a MY00. To date I have not seen any magazine to a side by side comparison.

Some people (mainly MY00 owners defending their corner state EVO). However EVO has NEVER peformance tested a MY00. They have a tested a MY01 on its own. EVO's figures refer to the old Performance Car mag tests. These were MY97/98. IMHO as new cars they were quicker than the later cars.

Ive said a few times on here, I think the MY00 was a dog performance wise, and would be interested to see what the real difference is.

One thing that isnt really shown in these figures though is the power delivery. If the MY01 delivers it from lower in the rev range, then it will be more driveable.

With regards to a MY01 PPP vs MY00 std no one really knows how they will compare, apart from Mike Woods and co at Prodrive. I'd guess that as Pete Croney says the exhaust is more restrictive in MY01, and Prodrive will deal with some of this, plus it has a larger intercooler and I think some other minor tweaks, it will be more comparable with the MY00 PPP than a std MY00.

Jonathan
Old 11 March 2001, 01:48 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have just had a look in EVO and it makes intereting reading with there own test figures:

MY01

0-60 6.0
0-100 18.3
bhp/ton = 158

pre - MY01 (possibly MY99 or MY98 or MY97)

0-60 5.4
0-100 14.6
bhp/Ton = 177

RB5 PPP

0-60 5.0
0-100 14.1
bhp/ton=195

This is all theory but assuming the power gain is the same for the PPP about 237bhp.

MY01 PPP (237bhp)
bhp/ton = 174

Assumming they can squeeze a little bit more due to the intercooler changes i.e. 240 bhp then bhp/ton would be 176 bhp/ton or about the same as a pre MY01 (without a PPP).

Sorry just bored on a sunday afternoon .

Forgot as well an MY01 would have to have 265bhp to equal a pre- MY01 PPP on bhp/ton figures. Of course it depends what happens to the torque figures as well. The PPP seems to increase these more. I guess we will have to wait and see.

cheers

chrisp

edited : after reading Jonathons first post again

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 11 March 2001).]

Old 11 March 2001, 02:38 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Chrisp

I know you dont want to listen, but EVO has never tested a MY00. In fact the only Impreza EVO has ever tested is the MY01 all their other numbers are dreamed up or taken from other places. EVO VERY VERY occasionally test performance. Even in this last issue with all the 0-100 etc the figures for the Mitsubishi are MADE UP. Ask Blowdog. It was his car in the issue and they didnt test it.

All these 0-60 tests done on different days by different testers are CRAP. Autocar made the std car quicker to 60 than a PPP. In fact if you all want to say that tests done on different days count as gospel

22B 0-60 5.0 secs
STI 0-60 4.6 secs

5 door std UK car 5.3

In fact if you want to use the same Magazine for the results asked in this thread, Autocar tested an old shape and have also tested the new shape.

MK1 with PPP 0-60 5.6 30-70 5.7
MK2 STD 0-60 5.7 30-70 5.8

Now add PPP to the MK2 and surely it must be quicker !!!.

Jonathan

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Chins (edited 11 March 2001).]
Old 11 March 2001, 03:19 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

The best thing to do with road test figures is to believe the set which suit your arguement best.

Ask any Clio 172 owner who's right and he'll say EVO whilst anyone else (me included) will say Sutocar is the Bible.

Steve
Old 11 March 2001, 03:25 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jonathon I am listening and actually I am warming to the MY01 after seeing Pete's at Donington.

What I was trying to get over is that power weight is worse with the new MY01. Surely you cant argue with that. MY00 is 150 kgs lighter and both have around 215 bhp (subarus figures). As I tried to point out the PPP will probably wipe out the weight increase but just that.

I still have a mega group test in Top Gear back in Novemeber 1997 in an MY97 with 208 bhp UK Impreza test by Tiff and they got 0-60 in 5.2 and 0-100 in 14.5 and 1/4 in 13.9.

Am I sure the handling and dynamics are improved in the new model which may mean as an A to B car there wont be much in it either way.

cheers

chrisp

ps they are both slower than my MY00 import anyway

Old 11 March 2001, 03:43 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Intresting way to look at this. All the 0-60 times 1/4 mile time been thrown around here seem to be very varied and held as gospel.

If you had a few drivers do a 0-60 run in a Nissan Micra, you will get some drivers who will make the Micra perform better than any of the other drivers.

If you get a grin on your face when you plant your right foot. All is well !.

If not... Don't buy it.. Or be prepared to modify the car.

Easy peezy .... Lemon squeezy
Old 11 March 2001, 04:07 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Yep... agree with a lot of what has been said. Only comp. tests that matter a toss, are ones done on the same day, under the same conditions, with the same drivers. Even then, probably better to take an average of a couple runs. Suppose it gives us all something to talk about!

An an MY01 owner (done about 2.5k now), I can testify that the new car does not have the straight line grunt of either of my previous cars but where it shines, is in the ease of which you can "place" the car on the road. So in point-to-point, there is little really in it. The top 2k of the rev range is still a little gruff but from experience, I know that it takes a good few thousand miles before it free's right up to the limiter (well I hope the new one is the same!).

Would I like another 30/40BHP? You bet... but then again, you can never have enough ooomph!

Enjoy.
Old 11 March 2001, 04:31 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I’m with Jonathan on this one.
After my MY98 the MY00 I picked up was very disappointing. It took me a week to put a 1000miles on the clock, then I could open her up. I was straight back to my Subaru dealer complaining of the hesitation and low power. My old car was sold the day after they had it so there was no going back. My dealer could do nothing with the car. They got in contact with Subaru who told them I would have to live with it. In a straight line a MY99 or earlier car, would be two cars lengths in front of me by the time I got to 90.
I will never buy another new Impreza from a dealer again. I am not the only one I know of a lot of others that feel the same way as I do. At least with 2nd hand you get to try the car first.
Old 11 March 2001, 07:12 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chrisp:
<B>

MY01

0-100 18.3

[/quote]

Zzzzzzzzzz

Bag-o-sh1te performance

Old 11 March 2001, 08:49 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Mike,

What do you mean a little gruff at the top end of the rev range
Old 11 March 2001, 10:08 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Okay, a new shape WRX is slower than a UK00. But the new WRX handles better. The new car is also heavier, but has more standard equipment, and is much stiffer. It's also a smoother, more integrated package. Honours about equal, I'd say.

But there's more potential in the new car. Early reports of the new Sti prove that - it's a flyer. And we've already seen the dramatic difference a free flowing exhaust can make to a standard WRX. Add a few intake and ECU tweaks from Prodrive and the car will be red hot.

My guess is that Prodrive will follow established practise and produce a performance pack that will give stonking bottom and midrange punch, perhaps at the expense of ultimate top-end power.

This will retain reliability, and offer a distinctively different style of superior performance than the forthcoming STi.

My money's on Prodrive offering the best 'real world' driving car. At the best price, too.

Richard Hopkins
Old 11 March 2001, 10:14 PM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yeah Chrisp...18.3 0-100 can't be right...slower than an S3!!!

If I'm slower than an S3.. I'm selling it tomorrow.

Seriously...I agree that in terms of ouright grunt its a bit down on the Mk1, but I'm really pleased with the overall package, especially the handling, and with the wagon, the Q-car thing.

Due to work committments progress has been a bit slow on the running in front...now got about 500 miles on it, and going up to 5000rpm now.

Cheers.
Old 12 March 2001, 02:43 AM
DeliciouSpeed
Scooby Regular

Guys, my perspective is a bit questionable I guess. I am from the US, I have not taken delivery of my car yet (but will this week).
I already have a number of mods bought and ready to go on. These include, a complete BPM Stainless downpipe, one cat, and mid pipe and backbox. BPM is quoting another 16-20 hp and tq from the combo. Remember guys it is not hard to squeeze more power out of the car, us MY01 guys will be ok. Add in Intake ECU and turbo mods and we will have a killer. I have a link ECU on order as well, soo many ways to make power with a turbo car.

I also have Cusco coilovers,OZ prodrive wheels, HKS EVC4, Blitz timer, Cusco oil catch can, Anti lift kit and a shift light.
Trust me nay sayers we will be ok, with or without your blessings. It may not be as fast stock, but who wants to drive a stock car anyway.

Ken
Old 12 March 2001, 10:20 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Boyz and gals,

I took my MY01 WRX on the recent midlands cruise. Spent two hours "going quickly" with the ~MY00 boys. Most had full exhausts. Not saying i overtook anyone, but as we accelerated from every corner the Turbo only pulled away a little bit.

Sorry, but the reality is that whilst the ~MY00 turbo has a slight adavantage, the "real world driving" experience is that the two cars are very evenly matched. Any gains the Turbo made, they lost breaking and cornering. Several owners complained of understeer in the conditions (frosty and damp) but i never felt any understeer at all.

I was two up with a full tank. No mods on the car!

Ive read all the Turbo people saying that the WRX is "SOOOO SLOW" but the realtity of it is that in the real world there is a slightly less grunt than a ~MY00 with a performance exhaust. I wonder if the people saying all this **** have actually driven the WRX. I doubt it.

Put on a PPP and i reckon it would be very different.

But then maybe im Richard Burns....

Jza
Old 12 March 2001, 05:04 PM
NeilR
Scooby Regular

I have driven a MY01 and came away unimpressed. It felt slow but i suspect much of that was down to the flat torque curve. The reality was that it was pretty quick, went around corners bloody well and stopped dead.

Getting back to the mags, i believe Performance car managed a 5.03 at santa pod in a red MY97. Many regard the My97 as being the quickest UK Impreza, me included. I suspect Subaru toned down the MY00 slightly because it knew the MY01 would be a bloater in comparison.

btw, the quickest UK mag test was of a verion 4 TypeR in Performance car that managed 0-60 in 4.3 0-100 in 11.9 and 0-100-0 in 18.2 (the poor MY01 wouldnt have not hit the brakes yet). TED was 4.5secs and it's overall performance rating was 82% if i remember correctly which was slighly better than the EVO 5 it was up against.

They don't make em like that anymore!

NeilR

[This message has been edited by NeilR (edited 12 March 2001).]
Old 12 March 2001, 05:14 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Chins,

Evo mag quote figures for a MY99 which as you know is the same mechanical spec as a MY00.

As for MY98/97 being faster this is tripe as I have owned and driven them and a MY00. My MY00 feels better allround. Autocar have figured a MY00 to 100 in the low 16s but What car have figured a MY 98 as being slower than the new model.

As for the reader that complained and retured his MY00 to the dealer after 1000 I think he was expecting far too much too soon. Cars take a bit longer than this to loosen up.

On the MY00 v MY01. Having driven both I think the MY00 is definitely faster by some margin but I also agree that on a challenging road it would not lose a MY01 and would probably never lose a MY 01 in any real world situation.

The distinction being this fine I think that the driving experience comes into play and in this respect I think the MY00 is much more exciting.

Old 12 March 2001, 05:31 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

"Having driven both I think the MY00 is definitely faster by some margin but I also agree that on a challenging road it would not lose a MY01 and would probably never lose a MY 01 in any real world situation."

What i was saying was that having actually seen the difference (following the boot of the ~MY00) there is very little difference.

People are saying there is a big difference when in fact the difference is more one of perception than reality. I think people with ~MY00 mistake the "kick in the ****" for more outright grunt. Its not the case in my experience - its marginal at best. And id like to do the same run with one of Pete Croneys full exhausts!!

I agree that the mk1 car "felt" more exhilerating but am stating that (In my experience) actually only marginally quicker in real life.

Jza
Old 12 March 2001, 05:59 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Wilf

If you read my comments re EVO you will see that I state they have never performance tested one. They have taken figures from elsewhere. Please show me the issue they tested it in and gave all the increment etc.

Ive owned five Impreza's and can only state that the worst one Ive owned was the MY00. Bob states that he felt the same. It surged and felt tighter than a Scotsmans wallet even after 5,000 miles.

I dont own a MY01, so dont have any hidden agenda. In fact I now drive the same car as Neil R. I do think its a little slower than a MY00, but its power delivery is different.
It would be nice to have the kick in the butt back, and I'm sure the PPP will deliver that.

Brake hard going into a corner on a bumpy road and the MY01 make the MY00 look like a Cortina . Add PPP for a car that will date the old shape quickly

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Chins (edited 12 March 2001).]
Old 12 March 2001, 06:13 PM
BT52
Scooby Regular

I drove 00 and 01 back to back very recently to decide which one to buy.
The new one had done 35 miles while the 00 car was well run in.

I actually preferred the more linear response on the new one, hopefully they can keep this after the upgrade, it was more relaxing and those brakes!! The WRX brakes are absolutely wonderful, SO much feel, yet Evo don't mention this at all!! It's the one overriding memory of driving it for me, those bakes.

Plus it would corner faster with far more composure. Maybe the steering is too light for some, and it's a bit less effort, but times have moved on.

I see it as being a 205GTi vs 306 GTI comparison.
Everyone would have preferred the 205 a few years ago, but nowadays everyone will admit the 306 is the better car. This will be the same for the Impreza I think.
Old 13 March 2001, 12:11 AM
BT52
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jza:
<B>BT52!

Good to see your posts. Saw your comments on the Evo forum - you kept true to the WRX despite getting major flaming!! Nice one - proud of you!!!

Im glad Pete Croney expresses his views on this forum. Maybe more people will listen now a "guru" has said his piece!!!!

PS Pete Croney!! Coming down for a full exhaust - cant wait to feel the difference!!!

Jza[/quote]

Hello. Thanks for that. Must admit I was guilty as being as much anti-WRX as anyone before I actually tried it I'm ashamed to say.

Just a comment on the EVO-magazine EPR rating test. It now seems that they were using a car which may have had dodgy tracking from their recent report. Also it would seem the Clio was considerably run it (approx 18000-20000 miles!) compared to the brand new WRX.
That 18 sec 0-100 also looks suspiciously long when compared with other cars with LESS power to weight ratios in the back of the magazine.

I would say, take no-one's word for it, even mine (except for the brakes that is!!) and go try it for yourself.

Old 13 March 2001, 08:29 AM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

Chins and BT52....completely agree with your comments on the MY01's ultimate superiority over the Mk1 car.

The brakes are indeed amazingly good. One mag I read said they were among the best they had ever tested. It certainly feels like it. They are a tremendous improvement. Before the MY01 wagon, I had a MY2000 which was sold with 11,000 on the clock. Until 8000 it was definitely tight, especially the gearbox. The MY01 feels tight engine-wise in the same way, so even though performance is there now, it will get better, almost certainly. The handling is the best I have experienced.

The first Impreza I ever drove was a red 97 R which had astonishing performance. You always feel sentimental about your first time, right?

Has anyone ever driven / owned one of the early L or M plate turbos? I have, and I thought the performance was incredibly laggy. I would have been disappointed going back from the 2000 car to that. It was a a standard car, by the way.

Cheers,

Rich

Old 13 March 2001, 09:39 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

LOL at this.

I've done lots of side by side tests and it takes a very well sorted 99/00 to keep with my (albeit slightly modified) 01 in a straight line.

I haven't found anything yet that will keep with it through the lanes.

Old 13 March 2001, 09:59 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Red face

CONTROVERSIAL!!!

But do Subaru put as much money into EVO anymore??? Like where was this years lovely desktop calender?

You know what, Ive cogetaed, rumanated and deliberated...or something like that!??? Ive played with the Integra Type - R, looked at Evos, etc etc, but the only car I can get into and be completely happy in is the Impreza, yes I'm indecisive but who cares, I think that Subarus are great.

The only way in my oppinion that would improve a scooby, is the ride, the interior and the quality, I think Subaru have done this with the mk2, and when the PPP comes out I firmly believe that it will be the best real world option.

Anyway Im off for my test drive in the next couple of weeks so I'll let you know!
Old 13 March 2001, 11:11 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

BT52!

Good to see your posts. Saw your comments on the Evo forum - you kept true to the WRX despite getting major flaming!! Nice one - proud of you!!!

Im glad Pete Croney expresses his views on this forum. Maybe more people will listen now a "guru" has said his piece!!!!

PS Pete Croney!! Coming down for a full exhaust - cant wait to feel the difference!!!

Jza
Old 13 March 2001, 11:24 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

It sounds like you're all in denial...I mean..take a look at it...it's so unbelievable UGLY!!!!
The Hyundai Coupé looks like a masterpiece next to it.

Not to mention the fact that it's much more expensive (here in Sweden), because of the ugly 17" wheels and an ECC, and uprated interior (who cares?)...and it needs cosmetics for a small fortune, just to dare driving it on public roads.

IMHO it's ****e...really...it's grown up...I'll give it that...but to what good?

Mk1 forever...it hurts me saying this.

IM/Fuji can burn in a very hot place for eternity as far as I'm concerned.

Sincerely

/J
Old 13 March 2001, 01:21 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Just thought I would add my penny. At the weekend myself and a group of six friends went to the Norfolk cost. One MY99, One MY00 and one MY01. The MY01 Always fell back 9-10 car lengths on slip roads and 2-3 on short blast off of roundabouts. Lets see what they can do at Santa Pod.

I agree that on twisty roads its just about the driver. But the fact is the guy has bought a newer car that is slower than the old one and at the pub table even the Elise owners could rib him that they could keep up. No one could keep up with the Fiesta RS Turbo 2.1 Zetec conversion
Old 13 March 2001, 01:42 PM
BT52
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mr Leigh:
<B>Just thought I would add my penny. At the weekend myself and a group of six friends went to the Norfolk cost. One MY99, One MY00 and one MY01. The MY01 Always fell back 9-10 car lengths on slip roads and 2-3 on short blast off of roundabouts. Lets see what they can do at Santa Pod.

I agree that on twisty roads its just about the driver. But the fact is the guy has bought a newer car that is slower than the old one and at the pub table even the Elise owners could rib him that they could keep up. No one could keep up with the Fiesta RS Turbo 2.1 Zetec conversion [/quote]

So if the new WRX owner should feel bad that he doesn't have the ultimate acceleration of the old turbo, does that mean that the old turbo drivers shoudl feel bad that they can't keep up with the Fiesta?
Old 13 March 2001, 02:42 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

BT52,

I agree with your evo comments - i cant believe we drive the same car as got reviewed!!! I also reckon the lack of wet testing put the WRX down the list - its awesome in the wet!!! Zero Understeer!!!

Ive noticed that the new STI 7 will be in dealers for December - but theyve had to knock 20bhp off the performance to get the emissions through. Thats whats happened to the WRX. Its lost a lot through the exhaust! Are you considering (as i am) an exhaust or are you going to try the PPP?

Jza
Old 13 March 2001, 03:33 PM
NeilR
Scooby Regular

Question

Pete Croney,

Whilst i appreciate that you can chuck an Impreza down the twisties at a silly rate, how the f### can an MY01 beat an MY00 in a straight line?

I can only assume the MY01 is in front, u r hitting the gas a bit sooner out of a bend and braking later into the next bend. I can't argue with your statement about the my01 being quicker around corners, it felt good when i drove an MY01.

Someone asked about the MY94, I owned an original MY94 which was indeed, L...A...G....G...Y and ran out of puff too early, i suspect it was a slow one tho!

Putting all this into perspective, my Leon Cupra is a fair bit slower in a straight line but entertaining around bends, about 80% Impreza id say.

NeilR

Quick Reply: my01 ppp v my00 std ...