Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excuse me officer, Ive lost my cat

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2001, 02:37 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am considering getting a replacement piece that sits exactly where the cat sits, and essentially would make my stock exhaust system entirely "catless".
I know about the legal issue's, but Im more interested in what benefits, if any, I could expect from removing the cat.
Its a 98 Teg R, so N/A, and it'll have an induction kit too, if that makes a diff.
I dont want the car to sound absolutely terrible, but want extra performance, and a louder sounding car, in a good way.
Does this cause any engine damage? and is it a waste of time and money?
Old 16 March 2001, 02:43 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

the only thing i can comment on, is it shouldnt cause any damage to the engine.
Old 16 March 2001, 02:47 PM
sgould
Scooby Regular

Do not remove your cat!!!!

I was going to remove mine and investigated the legal issues.

The police are craking down and if you are found to have removed it you no longer get a warning and time to put it right. As a lot of drivers are aware there are now quite a few road side checks.

You get a £3000 on the spot fine.

Yes you may never get caught, but do you want to risk a £3000 fine. I don't.

If anyone doesn't belive this, ask your local fuzz station.
Old 16 March 2001, 03:15 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Talking

Of course, one suggestion that someone made recently was to find yourself a knackered cat and then beat the **** out of it.

Weld it in place of the existing number and hay presto - undetectable decat pipe.

And of course if you get stopped and your emissions tested...my god officer - I didn't even know it was broken! Perhaps I bashed it off of those silly sleeping policemen

[This message has been edited by The_Gza (edited 16 March 2001).]
Old 16 March 2001, 05:36 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

EErrr Yes, but Scoobies have got two cats, one in the downpipe and one mid section.

Even if you completely remove the centre section cat & replace with straight through it will still pass an emissions test due to the downpipe cat.

Now removing downpipe and centre I can understand.........

Old 16 March 2001, 05:39 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dr Hu:
<B>EErrr Yes, but Scoobies have got two cats, one in the downpipe and one mid section.

Even if you completely remove the centre section cat & replace with straight through it will still pass an emissions test due to the downpipe cat.
[/quote]

a la PPP....

Matt.
Old 16 March 2001, 05:43 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by mutant_matt:
<B> a la PPP.... [/quote]

Mat,

Not wishing to get picky, the PPP only removes the centre cat. The downpipe cat is still in place!

Andy

Trending Topics

Old 16 March 2001, 06:07 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Regardless of whether the Scooby has 2 cats this guy has a Honda Integra.
I remember reading in REVs or some such other naff magazine about a company that does a free flowing centre cat. It was on a Honda Civic Vtec UK spec. They dyno tested it and it gave a few more BHP. It didn't say anything about drivability though. If I remember and still have the magazine I'll find out what the company was called.

Mark
Old 16 March 2001, 06:13 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dr Hu:
[B]EErrr Yes, but Scoobies have got two cats, one in the downpipe and one mid section

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Errr...
Yes , but what has that got to do with an integra typeR ???
( also not wanting to get picky too... )

Niall
Old 16 March 2001, 08:29 PM
Branners
Scooby Regular

When was the last time anybody actually got road-side tested?

Im sure they have stopped doing road-side emissions tests after they were taken to court about it and it was found that the test was not taken in a properly controlled environment and so could not be relied upon. The MOT stations have to get the car up to a set temperature before they can test it, so testing a car by the roadside means that it could still be running cold.

It could be they have now changed the way they road-side test the cars but I cant see how unless they make sure it is driven round the block a few times.

JB
Old 16 March 2001, 09:28 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

We are running two fully decatted Scoobysport MY00's and aren't at all worried about the feds - they will be too busy trying to stop their eardrums bleeding........
Old 16 March 2001, 09:30 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

The company is called RRR based in Lincoln, don't know the number thou. Free flow cats for Hondars are about £400+, you can get them from the Yank Honda Internet shops.

Why bother, De cat, i have. Ran de-catted cars for three years now, track day use only thou .

Old 16 March 2001, 09:30 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

PS - Gray - kicked any Preza tyres lately...........???
Old 17 March 2001, 12:52 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Smile

ITR, Everyone who has heard my car (Apexi - Induction, Blitz Exhaust, De-cat), will tell you to do it, with out an Sports Exhaust on you won't here any difference.

Go on do it, your car is not about luxery, so a few extra noises shouldnt bother you. Honda didnt use soundproofing for a reason, so you can hear the VTEC scream. LOL

Hey ITR why not come to Donny on the 15th April ?

[This message has been edited by Type R (edited 17 March 2001).]
Old 17 March 2001, 01:10 AM
nevr
Scooby Regular

aren't at all worried about the feds - they will be too busy trying to stop their eardrums bleeding........ [/B][/QUOTE]

Generally the road side test will be carried out by the DoT, the police will normally only be stopping the vehicles. If the emissions readings are too high they will normally give you a prohibition notice, get it fixed and re-tested the DoT examiners have to maintain performance indicators,in other words they have to do so many emissions checks and the other checks they get up to.
Old 17 March 2001, 10:53 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Thanks all.
Dave -T -S, I havent been kicking tyres for a while now, I think its long overdue, and whenever do, I always think to myself "boy, I bet this would REALLY **** Dave off"
The piece I am thinking about getting would essentially make it a de-catted system, as it isnt as replacement cat, rather a piece that allows you to easily remove the Cat.
I am now considering a replacement cat, so thanks for the reminder on RRR, Type R, I have their number from a few months ago when I was looking for an Induction kit.
If I do go de-cat, just how loud are we talking? I am sure you are all aware that a Teg is noisy straight out the box, and though I love that aspect, I wouldnt want to be bombarded by massive overkill of sound, when all Im doing is putting out about 4 extra BHP, thats a little M*x P**er ish.
Saying that, I am taking the car to the Pod on the 8th of April, and I want to get the best possible times, so just how much would de-catting help in that respect?
Cheers
Gray
Old 17 March 2001, 01:41 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Isn't it reassuring to know that the authorities are clamping down on the private motorist running a new efficient car, whilst at the same time they build dedicated lanes (in the roadspace that _we_ pay for in taxes many times over) to run thirty year old oil burners pumping out soot and other nasty contaminents, that they elegantly call "public transport".

BTW, they has a crackdown with roadside tests a few years ago in Birmingham, and one guy who had _just_ had his MOT was stopped, failed the test and received an on the spot GBP60 fine. He immediately took the car back to the garage and had it re-checked there and it passed. However, as far as i am aware, they wouldn't cancel the fine

mb