sti intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2010, 10:55 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti intercooler

hi , ive got an sti top mount on its way to me for my 02 wrx
will it be a direct fit / will i need anything else to fit it because ive read about "undertrays" not sure wot this is but i do have the oversized sti scoop . thank you for any advice given
Old 19 November 2010, 10:59 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

The undertray is the seal between the scoop and your intercooler, as the new one will be deeper, your undertray will need to be also, in order to distribute air accross the whole of the intercooler.
Old 19 November 2010, 10:59 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

It will fit, although you will only be getting the cross section of the old wrx intercooler, as the undertray rubber is designed to fit inside the rim of the i/c.
Old 19 November 2010, 11:11 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

ok so the two coolers are actually slightly different sizes . in wot way is the sti cooler better than the wrx ? is it size , core design ??
Old 20 November 2010, 07:58 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Hi that's the last mod I have planned for my 06 hawk before an ecutek remap, my understanding is that the STI intercooler holds a larger air mass at any given time over the WRX unit, by virtue of its larger core dimension. It also offers less resistance to air passing through it which means that combined with a larger profile presented to the air which enters the bonnet scoop, providing the under tray is also changed, the air which is then entering the the manifold will be denser, which combined with mapping and additional tweaks can facilitate increased performance. Having looked into this subject, I believe that the lower hose may need some modification to ensure a good fit on some new age WRX cars.

cheers

Tim
Old 20 November 2010, 08:17 AM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

Default STI TMIC

On my Hawkeye WRX, I changed to a STI TMIC (or powerstation did anyway) and apparently there were some minor mods required to get it to fit. The bonnet scoops on Hawykeye WRX/STI are the same height but the Diffuser and Bellows are much larger for the STI so you must get the Diffuser and Bellows to get the benefit. JAPPERFORMANCEPARTS generally seem to have earlier diffusers and bellows but had to but new for the hawkeye. Zero sports also do one.