Sponsored by:

Bugeye owners, why did you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2010, 12:14 AM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye owners, why did you buy?

Just curious why other bugeye owners went for theirs?

For me it was important to have 3 proper seatbelts and the bugeye fitted that and was in my price range. Also seemed to be good value for money as well.

Is there anyone who purchased for its looks? I didn't but bless its heart its growing on me and well I cant see how ugly it is when I'm driving it
Old 21 October 2010, 12:21 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I bought a bugeye, it was a JDM STi S202 probably the most hardcore newage built and certainly the best bugeye.

I didn't buy it for it's looks only for the fact it was an exceptional car and rare as hens teeth (only 400 made).

If I were to buy another bugeye it would have to be another S202 or a Spec C-RA.
Old 21 October 2010, 06:51 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Because it was about £2k cheaper than the Blobs with a similar mileage and only a year older, exactly the same car underneath as well! Plus it's the one I remember as a rally car!
Old 21 October 2010, 07:32 AM
alp27
Scooby Regular

Mine is a 2002 sti prodrive style and I bought it cause it was in mint condition, I could get more for my money, I heard very early blobs had rear suspension issues (I maybe wrong so apologies if I am) and tbh I think it looks epic... Stand out in a world of blobs

Old 21 October 2010, 08:55 AM
ian.e
Scooby Regular

I wanted a scoob but didn`t want any rust issues, so that kinda ruled out the classics. And a blob was a bit too dear for me. Yeah the headlights never grow on you, so swapped those and all is well now.
Old 21 October 2010, 09:07 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Got mine for a multitude of reasons.
Firstly due to the low milage, cleanliness of the car in general (spotless), plus it was totally standard.
It is a much more refined car for day to day pottering about/commuting, proper three point seat belts, auto a/c when compared to the classic it just seemed more grown up.

I Suppose the blob is a better looking car, but as others have mentioned, i got one of the last bugs on a 52 plate and for only a year older, and it was lightyears ahead condition wise when compared to some blobs in the same price bracket.
Old 21 October 2010, 09:10 AM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

I bought mine because i honestly do prefer the bug,, it looks more agressive at the front! the blob seems more sleek and blends in better with other motors,, unless uve modified the front,, just my op
Old 21 October 2010, 10:13 AM
SteveoSTi
Scooby Regular

They are the best shape followed closely by the classic then the hawk
Old 21 October 2010, 10:15 AM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Most cost effective way back into a scoob, had a classic for 4yrs then a blob sti, then threatened with divorce so had a spell away, then wife decides I can have a weekend toy. So bought the bug. Classics too old now, bug easier to live with, dont mind the looks, has the prodrive lights so not as bad. Other reason was price, bought at auction so got a good price and alot of car, has ppp fitted and only done 75K so all in not bad.Also quite like the red mica.
jimmy77
Scooby Regular

i bought mine because it was the last subaru to win the world rally championship
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveoSTi
They are the best shape followed closely by the classic then the hawk
At the time, I wanted a newage and it was all I could afford. It has grown on me massively, and I love the front end now. The fact it is in DBM is just a massive bonus!

Love it!
Old 21 October 2010, 10:38 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Bought mine because it was immaculate and I needed a cheapish car with performance that I could mod the nuts off of

The Bugeye had everything and was well within budget
Old 21 October 2010, 11:06 AM
BexWRX
Scooby Regular

I went for the bugeye as i personnally think it looks great on a wagon. I was able to pick up a 52 reg with good miles for 1.5k less than a 03 blob eye with the same miles. My wagon was in much better condition aswell.
I really like the bugeyes - they are a bit rarer in my area.
i just wish I could butch up the front of the wagon a bit - any ideas fellow bug owners?
Old 21 October 2010, 11:31 AM
ian.e
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BexWRX
I went for the bugeye as i personnally think it looks great on a wagon. I was able to pick up a 52 reg with good miles for 1.5k less than a 03 blob eye with the same miles. My wagon was in much better condition aswell.
i just wish I could butch up the front of the wagon a bit - any ideas fellow bug owners?
Some prodrive type lights, fog covers, and a zunsport lower grille. Works ok on mine.
Old 21 October 2010, 12:39 PM
MotoCare Ltd
www.MotoCare.co.uk

Let me know if you need a zunsport grille, We give a good discount

cheers....
Old 21 October 2010, 12:39 PM
MotoCare Ltd
www.MotoCare.co.uk

Let me know if you need a zunsport grille, We give a good discount

cheers....
Old 21 October 2010, 12:48 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

I got mine as I wanted a newage and had a budget that would allow me and bug or a blob. I also wanted a White one so when the bugeye that I eventually bought turned up I jump at the chance, travelled 6hrs on 4 trains to dumfies from Watford to get it and had the best 6 hr journey home.

I never used to like bugeyes but it grew on my and I absolutely love it now.

I have got a pair of fog lamp covers for sale if anyone is aftersome as well, just pm me
Old 21 October 2010, 01:07 PM
BexWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ian.e
Some prodrive type lights, fog covers, and a zunsport lower grille. Works ok on mine.
are there any piccies of your car on the forum? Would be interested to see them.
Old 21 October 2010, 01:17 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

dunx had a catalunya... and it was paid for, he had the choice between accepting £13K for a five year old classic and buying the first STI Type UK.

I was going to do the uprated everything malarky, but the bug STI had all the good bits as standard...

I couldn't wait an extra 8-12 weeks for a white one, so got blue/black mica instead.

Still have it after 8 and a half years.

dunx
Old 21 October 2010, 01:20 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

killa is selling a complete Prodrive front bumper...
Old 21 October 2010, 01:45 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
Because it was about £2k cheaper than the Blobs with a similar mileage and only a year older, exactly the same car underneath as well! Plus it's the one I remember as a rally car!
Pretty much exactly that. Wanted a newage, couldn't afford a blob, so bug it was.

Finding one with morettes already fitted was a bonus too
Old 21 October 2010, 02:06 PM
BexWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
killa is selling a complete Prodrive front bumper...
looks nice - wrong colour tho!
Old 21 October 2010, 02:26 PM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

I must admit the looks are growing on me but defo want some sti headlights and a bigger spoiler. It has standard wheels at moment, I was thinking about a refurb. Has anyone had the standard wheels powder coated a completely different colour? Got this thing in my head about dark grey/black wheels or maybe even white? Not sure how it would look with standard wheels.

I know what people mean about there not being many bugs about. Nice to be a little bit different.

I will have to get some pics put up some time.
Old 21 October 2010, 03:57 PM
ian.e
Scooby Regular

are there any piccies of your car on the forum? Would be interested to see them.
Have just uploaded a better pic to my garage
Old 21 October 2010, 08:07 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

At the time I had a 14 month old Fiat HGT and wanted a bigger car and being a Rally fan it had to be Rally related. I couldn't buy a blobeye or a newer EVO. I went looking at Subaru's as the EVO's were not pratical with the servicing etc.

I was at first looking at a Classic Wagon that caught my eye. I drove up to Subaru Nuneaton and I drove the STi v5 Wagon and then spotted a mild modified Bugeye WRX in the corner. Looking clean and shiney.

I drove the Classic Wagon and x2 Bugeye's a mildly modified 2001 model and a late 2002WRX 52 Plate with PPP and Prodrive WR Sport seats etc. For me the WRX felt a better option with the way it felt and handled. I couldn't fit into the WR Sport seats that well and I was also a little unsure if to get a car I loved but couldn't fit into the seats right or to get that much of an older car being I was trading in a 14 month old Fiat for the STi Wagon.

So opted for the mildly modifed WRX.

Once that car was sadly wrote off 2 years later after having spent some money changing the odd little bits and bobs I was on the hunt for another car. I wanted to get one of the following as a replacement - EVO 7,Super TT ,P1/Type R ,Blobeye WRX PPP, Bugeye PPP or a Blobeye STi or Bugeye STi.

I was told by my other half the P1/Type R and Supra TT was a NO GO due to having a child etc. So end the end went looking for a Blobeye STi or Bugeye STi .

After a few weeks of hard searching I found a Bugeye STi within budget and would allow me to have a few pennies left over for a major service and a few changes.
And here I am today with the same car. Would the Blobeye have made a better car? Maybe? But I do not regret it one bit. I started off with a fab car and have made it into the car I wanted over time.

When I first got the car it made 290bhp - 260lbft on it's first power run. Now I have it up to 453bhp / 386 lbft with V Power + Meth and 410bhp / 365 lbft for 95-99 ron .

Here's my project write up.
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...e-marmite.html

Steve
Old 21 October 2010, 08:19 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

When I bought my bugeye it was because they were the one avaliable. I did not fancy buying second hand so bought brand new. Still got the car and have worked on it carefully and now would not change it for a newer one. It was 265 bhp when bought now 416 bhp on Tesco 99 with suspension and brakes to match.

Last edited by 360ste; 21 October 2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 21 October 2010, 09:56 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Proper headlights, fog covers, a lip and slammed = one very butch looking Bug

Oh how I miss her
Old 21 October 2010, 11:24 PM
alp27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stealth
Proper headlights, fog covers, a lip and slammed = one very butch looking Bug

Oh how I miss her
wow v nice.... lovin the black rims
Old 22 October 2010, 05:47 AM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

Me likey. Nearly went for a WR blue one but there was some painting that had been done and badly, also no record of cambelt change. Not to much to sort both out but didnt point to a well cared for motor.

The sti lights really look so much better. Is it a straight swap for wrx items and do they still adjust?

Theres obviously more of a following for the bugs than I realised
Old 22 October 2010, 12:26 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Not sure if they are a stright swap mate, mine was an STI before she became and internal combustion chassis (not just the engine) so the lights were standard..... Although I can't imagine it would be that hard to change them over and I assume the connectors are all the same

Quick Reply: Bugeye owners, why did you buy?