ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

£500 reward offered.

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2010, 11:36 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £500 reward offered.

This appears to be an occupational hazard, considering the number of fellow traders we've now encountered who have come up against this one.
We "sold" £2500 worth of Cosworth parts to a "customer" from Birmingham.
The transaction was via debit card. The card transaction was fully authorised and verified including showing the correct address details. The parts were despatched to the address given and signed for.
As far as we were concerned, that was that.
Until over a month later, when the chargeback letter arrived from Barclays.
Apparently, the guy whose name was on the card, the one we were given, denied all knowledge, so naturally Lloyds TSB decided they'd like the money back, thanks all the same.
The upshot is we can't do a damn thing about it, as there is no protection whatsoever from taking a card over the 'phone.
Whatever, life's too short to worry about it.
Having said that of course, we're on the case.
The goods included a Cosworth forged stroker kit, and a cam kit.
All the parts are marked with serial numbers.
We've contacted everybody who deals with Impreza tuning.
This is a small country, like tiny.
If anyone is offered these parts for sale, please get their details, as I'll pay you £500 if my associates get to greet them warmly, or maybe they'll get lucky, and the Police will get there first.
If it's any help, this dude has a mate called "Kevan" and a fat ugly blonde girlfriend.
Old 18 October 2010, 11:39 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

keep my eyes open for ya bud
Old 18 October 2010, 11:43 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Hope you can get it sorted Alan, makes my blood boil.
dnc
Old 18 October 2010, 11:47 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the person using the card has stolen it why hasn't the card owner cancelled it - their fault / liability?

If the card was used by the genuine owner who lied ... may be some way to check / trace back ( private investigator, check via police for cars owned, credit or criminal history etc ? ) but I guess if a cloned card then the genuine card holder may be innocent and claim of their card company ... although why not contact you first and ask what the charge was for??

As you say there are a few more stories like this on here, and no doubt many more in the outside world.
It's the sort of thing to stop people opening new businesses or ruin small businesses, and financially hurt larger ones.

Hope you find them .....
Old 18 October 2010, 11:50 PM
Mikej857
Scooby Regular

This really should be something that every business should be protected against by now, I had a guy who used my business 4 times in the space of 2 weeks and had goods totalling over £400 all paid for on a card that was stolen and we had the exact same outcome as yours and could do exactly **** all about it.
Old 18 October 2010, 11:52 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

It is shocking that there is no protection against this. Is there not even some kind of insurance cover available?
Old 18 October 2010, 11:59 PM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

Make sure you keep an eye out on ebay too, a lot of these things have a tendancy to crop up there.

Trending Topics

Old 19 October 2010, 12:39 AM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Was it over the counter or did you post to a address? if over the counter say that all orders over £1000 must be delivered to a billing address. If it is a genuine customer they won’t mind, if they seem reluctant to give delivery details alarm bells will ring. Surely the profit margin on the said amount would cover the recorded postage. Just a idea to beat these thieving *******.
Old 19 October 2010, 01:04 AM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Going by Alans post it sounds as if the parts were dispached to the cardholders address

On the same note, I will also post up a £500 reward leading to the whereabouts of a Mr Ron Williams AKA Mike Strubberg who used to run Raw Performance over in the States

Graeme
Old 19 October 2010, 01:05 AM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

When I bought my car I paid by debit card. The dealer made the phone call and I had to give several characters of my mastercard secure password to veify the transaction. Is this something you can do to protect yourself in the future? Like with an on line purchase where the shop site automatically takes you to the mastercard secure site to verify the transaction?

You say the transaction was fully authorised. I thought if the transaction was authorised then you would be covered? or is it only chip and pin when the card is present that is covered by this? It stinks that you can be ripped off like this. Is there a way to protect yourself from these thieving *******?
Old 19 October 2010, 01:05 AM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

duplicate post

Last edited by VinceW; 19 October 2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 19 October 2010, 01:32 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Alan pm me please
Old 19 October 2010, 07:57 AM
Sleiper STI
Scooby Regular

thats well ****, dude for £500 i'll drive to said address from edinburgh introduce his knee caps to my telescopic baton then turn round and come home!
Old 19 October 2010, 08:58 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

These are the sorts of people that if they where on fire you would put them out with a baseball bat

Hope you get it sorted Alan.
Old 19 October 2010, 09:49 AM
SLAB
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So who signed for them at the address they went to surly theres a sig to be check against the house owner as he deff in on it,
Id be putting that fuxing address in every phone box in the country as a knocking shop crack den and not forget the illegal immigrants living there every double glaze, roofer bloke in the country would be knocking and ringing the **** for the next 6 months.
Or you could just pay Sleiper STI for one of his eyes and a couple of Lh Rh fingers just in case you dint get them back at least the **** wouldn't be able to fit them
Old 19 October 2010, 10:25 AM
wrx sti ppp
Scooby Regular

shocking state of affairs, whereby a legit business gets ripped off this way and there's nothing the law can do to protect them. a literal pound of flesh might make you feel better.
Old 19 October 2010, 11:40 AM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Have you got a rough area you sent them too Alan?
Old 19 October 2010, 11:53 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From recent software changes for a client I understand that if you use 3D secure then you are protected and the bank take the hit.

However though - you have to pay in order to use 3D secure.
Old 19 October 2010, 12:09 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Thanks for messages of support! it's irritating of course, although I'm a great believer in karma. What goes around comes around yes?
Thankfully, we're big enough to hack it.
The goods were sent to a place called Erdington, anyone know it?
Old 19 October 2010, 12:18 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

W*nkers agree with the seller's protection just like cardholders get!

Hope you find them Alan, whether you can take the hit or not, they need to be dealt with!!
Old 19 October 2010, 12:21 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

It's Birmingham I believe, what a ******, I hope u get this sorted.
Old 19 October 2010, 12:57 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

How on earth have the crooks managed to bypass the delivery address being the same as the card & signed for though

TX.
Old 19 October 2010, 01:12 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
How on earth have the crooks managed to bypass the delivery address being the same as the card & signed for though

TX.
We'd like to know that too.
Lloyds TSB know, but they aren't telling! Aparently it's something to do with the data protection act.
As far as I'm concerned, they are aiding and abetting fraud by allowing unscrupulous thieves to use the system they run.
They don't give a Monkey's as they aren't the ones picking up the bill.
Old 19 October 2010, 01:43 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Alan,
if they gave you a delivery address is it possible to look it up on google maps. Then just go down there. I might be a little naive here but maybe the weaklings who resort to such measures have stayed on or near the scene.

Is there any garages local to the address that they gave so you could ckeck out to see if they have been asked to fit the parts to a particular car for a customer?

I would even go as far as knocking on neighbours doors of the address in question if there's no sign of the scum.

When the law cant/wont help you I beleive it only fair that we should be allowed to help ourselves.

Good luck. You have my full support in whatever type of justice you feel is warranted.

Dan
Old 19 October 2010, 02:16 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan W
Alan,
if they gave you a delivery address is it possible to look it up on google maps. Then just go down there. I might be a little naive here but maybe the weaklings who resort to such measures have stayed on or near the scene.

Is there any garages local to the address that they gave so you could ckeck out to see if they have been asked to fit the parts to a particular car for a customer?

I would even go as far as knocking on neighbours doors of the address in question if there's no sign of the scum.

When the law cant/wont help you I beleive it only fair that we should be allowed to help ourselves.

Good luck. You have my full support in whatever type of justice you feel is warranted.

Dan
We have many spies out there! they'll slip up sooner or later.
Old 19 October 2010, 02:19 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
We have many spies out there! they'll slip up sooner or later.
Good.
Old 19 October 2010, 06:04 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Angry

You have our full support guys, if we spot anything we'll will let you know straight away.

Its shocking the amount of crooks and frauds out there!

Iain
Old 19 October 2010, 06:15 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
This appears to be an occupational hazard, considering the number of fellow traders we've now encountered who have come up against this one.
We "sold" £2500 worth of Cosworth parts to a "customer" from Birmingham.
That'll be the source of the problem then, Alan!

Hope you recover the funds or parts. Card fraud is getting a fecking epidemic in this country. I had someone rip £1400 off my credit card a couple of weeks or so ago (and I'm ultra careful with my cards!) Fortunately Halifax were right on top of it and phoned me up because of suspicious activity on the card and confirmed that some little bugger had gone on a spending spree in the Apple store! I don't have to pay a red cent, but I'm guessing until they find the blighter who did it, if Apple sent out the goods, they can now kiss goodbye to them and the dough!

These days I have a no phone transaction rule.... you just don't know who you're dealing with!

Ns04
Old 19 October 2010, 06:19 PM
Mooburu
Scooby Regular

Seems weird, I had my card details taken somehow, and used online. I contacted Barclaycard about it and they refused to give me the money back for months. It was used to buy some game currency, so there was no actual item purchased.

I don’t understand how this fella (and his fat ugly blonde girlfriend you bitch ) has managed to sign for the parcel, and get their money back. Surely the bank must wonder where this parcel has gone?
Old 19 October 2010, 06:19 PM
lazadude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
From recent software changes for a client I understand that if you use 3D secure then you are protected and the bank take the hit.

However though - you have to pay in order to use 3D secure.
I did my dissertation on 3D secure, online fraud and card payments, so as far as i remember:

3D secure can only be used on a web page, not a CNP (customer not present) transaction entered over the phone. Over the phone the only verification is postcode numbers, and door number. If you want to set up 3d secure, you would need an online webpage and a section linked to a 3rd party page so tht you are not actually hosting the payments engine, and then even if you pre populate a basket etc, you need to pay for the transaction handler service with a 3rd party.

Therefore taking card payments over the phone is risky, but as per with any tech, these are the flaws that come with it. Got to weigh the cost of the protection vs. the chance of being stung and how much you would get hit for.

Hope you find the bar-staffs that did it.

Quick Reply: £500 reward offered.