Suspension - options.

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2010, 05:42 PM
Bugeyed Bri
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension - options.

Hi All
I have a standard '02 Bugeye WRX which I just love to bits and altho I can't afford to splash money on it I'd like to try and improve things when they need doing.

So, when nasty nerg nail meant a rear tyre had to be fixed, I noticed that the left rear suspension was leaking. I think it's suffering from the old rear suspension knock aswell, but I've had to just put up with that.

Are the standard units just fine or are there some nice options out there that I should consider?

I presume the standard STi's have better units than the WRXs, is this one an option?

I'm not after the best top notch units that some of the serious dudes are fitting, I use the car everyday and I probably couldn't afford it anyway.

I've tried searching the forums but there's just too much to try and glean a reasonable understanding of options.

Cheers
Bri
Old 18 October 2010, 05:48 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your WRX won't have the typical suspension knock that affects STi's and MY05+ WRX with the inverted strut type suspension. They are probably just fatigued through usage and age.

Options, new replacement units, coilovers, car for breaking etc...

Have a look ...

http://www.kayaba.co.uk/shocks.html
Old 18 October 2010, 09:17 PM
Bugeyed Bri
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that.
Had a look and I suppose my choice with Kayaba are either the Exel-G or Ultra SR.
What difference do you notice between the 2 types?
Is it just that the SR are better quality?

Presume it's best to replace the Suspension Mounts and Protection Kit too or is that just manufacturers bumf to generate income?

Do you have to match the springs with the damper or can I just replace them when I need?
Old 18 October 2010, 10:13 PM
fred388
Scooby Regular

i have the exact same problem, only its got soo bad now, i manage to find someone on this seeling a set of bc coilovers,u can get them for £570 brand new.
Old 18 October 2010, 11:40 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For an everyday drive for the Bugeye WRX with 200 odd BHP on tap it's difficult to beat the OEM struts with the Eibach progressive springs.

Lower, more supple and can be had cheap as chips if someone is swapping for something more hard core. Prodrive also did a swap with blue springs with OEM struts.

I've got a Bug 02 WRX and it did ride nice on the eibach's

I gave them away for free on here as I moved over to coilovers to cope with the 400 odd BHP

Have a search for Eibach springs

Shaun
Old 19 October 2010, 10:08 PM
Bugeyed Bri
Scooby Regular

So Blue springs weren't standard for the WRX, that's nice to know as that's what on mine. That was nice of soem previous owner.

Searched for Eibachs and found a lovely place that you all probably know about, ScoobyWorld. Oh, the toys, I don't know which page to click on.

Not sure I want to lower the car as my drive has a bit of a rise and it only just clears it now.

I presume the BC coilovers will lower the car too, so at the mo' the Ultra SRs are looking good.

I'm off to look at ScoobyWorld again. Note to self... save harder!
Old 19 October 2010, 10:37 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep to the wrx shocks mate, coilovers are over kill for every day use and Sti units are a bit too firm aswell. Wrx shock and a good set of lowering springs plus whiteline bits will do a great job and a fraction of the price
Old 19 October 2010, 11:26 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See post number 5 from me......... LJF has sort of hit the nail on the head

The Bugeye UK WRX suspension was very good and certainly better than the bug STi which made people car sick and the shocks failed badly ! The ride height was a bit high and it was a bit bouncy !

I see you have the Prodrive springs ( which were made by Eibach IIRC) so it's the shocks that are leaking !!

All you need are replacement bugeye WRX shocks and I'd suggest a breaker like Grade A or Scoobybits

FWITW I tried to follow a Bugeye WRX on Eibach's / standard shocks with my equivalent bugeye with a lot more BHP and he humiliated me so don't be put off by the OEM shocks / prodrive (Eibach combination)

Shaun