Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

selling classic, still not one call, why?????

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2010, 04:02 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default selling classic, still not one call, why?????

some of you may know i have my car advertised on pistonheads for sale, its been on about a week and a half, and now a day and half on premium so on page one, i am asking £4495, which i know is not the cheapest classic for sale, but as its immaculate with low mileage with documented history etc etc and with a great spec i just dont understand why i am getting zero interest. 2 other nice classics went on and sold in 1 day and the other 2 days, one was 3995 a 98 uk turbo low miles and the other 4295 again low miles standard car. so is it because mine isnt standard?? is there something wrong with my ad?? any advice would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 12 October 2010, 04:05 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

its mica red btw, maybe thats the problem, i thought it was a sought after rare colour, apparently not. :-(
Old 12 October 2010, 04:09 PM
cdm1
Scooby Regular

pistonhead link wud be good + for that price you can get a Newage now. Just because the other cars say sold on pistonheads it dont say how much for!
Old 12 October 2010, 04:24 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

dont want to put the link up as this thread will get removed, easy to find on page one. there must be somebody out there who wants a stunning example of a last of the line classics surely?? iv not even had an offer never mind getting the asking price, i think being in scotland isnt helping me either as people are reluctant to travel so its limiting me
Old 12 October 2010, 04:29 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy flew up to Scotland from London for my last one so people will travel for the right car! It could one of many things, coming up to Christmas, loads of classics out there, folk not spending cash at the moment. Your car looks a beauty so you just need to wait for the right person to see it.
Old 12 October 2010, 04:39 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Im guessing its this one?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2135457.htm

If so, Im sure I watched that very car for sale on SIDC for quite some time. It looks to be in good condition and as you say, full history and nice mods. Maybe because its modded is the reason people are put off.

Personally I dont like the colour so I wouldnt consider it for that reason. Maybe thats why it was advertised for so long before and is taking a while for you to shift. If you dont mind me saying, you've not had it long, have you? Why you selling?

If there's one thing for sure, its that cheap cars sell. Unfortunately yours isnt cheap. By all means I dont think for a minute that its over priced. Its just that at that end of the market I guess things must move a little slower, especially in the current economic climate.

Just my opinion.
Old 12 October 2010, 04:39 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

yeah i sold my immaculate clio williams to a guy from london who got the train up to edinburgh to buy it, then wrote it off a few months later. came across the pics on the williamsclio website of it on its side in a ditch, totalled. was gutted, was one of the nicest williams left, i fancy another one actually if i sell the scoob and if i can find a nice enough one.
Old 12 October 2010, 04:42 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

it was on sidc for about a week before it sold to me, i was the first to view it. i am selling it as unfortunately i now need the money and have to get something cheaper to run/insure as i cant justify it for the <3k annual mileage that i do.
Old 12 October 2010, 04:53 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Maybe I was thinking of a different car then.
Old 12 October 2010, 05:06 PM
bengreen85
Scooby Regular

my wrx was on piston head for about 4 weeks, not a single call..
spent £35 putting it on autotrader (website for 2weeks plus 1 week magazine) and i had 2 calls a day. car was sold for the asking price within 3 days to the 1st person who came 2 look.
Old 12 October 2010, 05:06 PM
bengreen85
Scooby Regular

gfs mum put her golf on the autotrader website, it was sold 24 hrs later!
Old 12 October 2010, 05:54 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Autotrader is good because you can narrow your search to cars within a certain distance, say within 20 miles from where you live. May have more luck with that. Pistonheads you just get all the cars nationally.
Old 12 October 2010, 06:12 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mr hat
it was on sidc for about a week before it sold to me, i was the first to view it. i am selling it as unfortunately i now need the money and have to get something cheaper to run/insure as i cant justify it for the <3k annual mileage that i do.
There's your answer Your car isn't necessarily expensive but it is a lot of money in comparison to what's available in the scheme of things.

You can get a scoob pretty cheap now days and not everyone is after a minter. There are people that will pay a premium for a minter but you have to be patient especially in that colour I would say

We recently picked up an S reg wagon UK2000 one owner FSH 90k for £1300 ! £3700 is a lot of change to spend on making it mint
Old 12 October 2010, 06:26 PM
stuartaw11
Scooby Regular

i think for the condition and modifications the price is ok, the only problem i can see is for that kind of money you can buy a much newer car, i just paid £2500 for my v reg mica red turbo, the dealer had it in stock priced at £3000 for 6 months, i was the first person to view it, mine has done alot more miles, but condition wise id say its 8 out of 10.
Old 12 October 2010, 07:07 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I guess there's a few reasons..

1, the colour limits the market ( I personally love them in mica red)

2, modifications. Not normally a problem but your car's biggest selling point is it's low mileage. There's certainly a few people out there who desire a clean original low mileage classic, but that market would be taken down further by the (maybe half of them) that desire a STD example.

3) price. Lets face it, it's serious enthusiasts money! You've just got to wait for one to come along. Personally I'd return it to STD and make a few hundred back off the mods then try again. Trouble is the majority of people that buy these cars are just after the cheapest thing they can get hold of, there will be a buyer out there but most people will just dismiss it thinking they can pick up a mica blue one with 80k for £2500 etc.

If I was to return to a classic I'd certainly be looking out for a car like yours so you will get there in the end I'm sure.
Old 12 October 2010, 07:15 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Just sold my classic to the 1st people that bothered to look. They did an 11hour round trip from Scotland......!
Old 12 October 2010, 08:00 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i were looking for a low mileage classic in mica red,then i would strongly consider having a look at your car especially as you have opted to put sensible mods on the car.However if i were going to spend £4500 on a classic impreza then it would have to be this imho :

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...true?logcode=p

Not to keen on the bodykit & lowered suspension,but with 1 owner and 14K more miles it is ok. Maybe just hold out and someone out there will see it and probably buy it

Last edited by midnight; 12 October 2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12 October 2010, 08:17 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

My thoughts:

1/ Location will put some off. Money is tight, especially at the low end of the market, so the time/money/hassle to view will put a lot off who might like the car but know they should really keep the T reg Focus and save their money.

2/ Colour. I think some will like it specifically because it isn't blue or green but more won't.

3/ Modifications. Insurance has increased substantially in the last year and many people at this price bracket may baulk at the premiums because of the modifications.

4/ Money pit. Although mileage is low it is still old and some will think that with the mods they may be inline for some serious repair bills they won't get if they buy a Golf GTI

Looks like a decent car so there must be someone out there who wants it, but having sold my wagon (80K, green, VGC, subtle mods/power much as yours, loads of receipts) which went to the only sensible caller in a month who travelled from Wales to East Anglia for it, I know how frustrating it is to have it sat on the drive getting dirty with the MOT/tax running out.
I put mine on Autotrader where all I got were scammers e-mails and PH where I got scammers and 1 lucky guy.

Kevin

P.S. Mine was an MY00 on a 51 plate and went for £3000

Last edited by c_maguire; 12 October 2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: for the PS
Old 12 October 2010, 08:40 PM
Mikej857
Scooby Regular

I cant agree more that its strong money for what it is, I had mine on Pistonheads which is far from standard and had a bit of interest, I had a very keen buyer from france who was willing to do a bank transfer straight away without even seeing the car he based everything on pictures I sent him of the entire car.

Shame I decided I didnt want to sell in the end
Old 13 October 2010, 09:17 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

If I were looking for another Classic yours looks great and the first part of the add reads well with the low mileage, details of the previous owner and a near standard looking car...............then you get to the modifications.

In my book these significantly reduce the value of the car. There is a tiny market for a car that costs as little as this to buy but costs so much to run. The modifications make it anti-social, difficult to insure at a reasonable cost and get MOT'd. Had you left it standard it would have gone by now.
Old 13 October 2010, 09:24 AM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

people are buying i put a deposit on a scoob last night!
Old 13 October 2010, 09:32 AM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

ill just wait and see what happens. cant return it to standard as i sold the td04, still got the standard intercooler and ecu, however the cost of removing and fitting standard parts would put me off, and i also dont have a standard exhaust. i was looking for a mint classic when i bought this so someone will come along im sure.
Old 13 October 2010, 09:45 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Those mods wouldn't put me off, but attract me to it. As it is such a good example of a classic I can understand others might want a factory standard version. It will sell in the end.
Old 13 October 2010, 09:47 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

IMHO its the price, nothing more.

At £4.5K I'd be looking at V5/6 STIs. Theres a grey V6STI on PH for £4K and its in great condition.

The colour is lovely IMO, the mods are obviously considered rather than slapped on. Distance is going to be an issue but it probably costs less to fly to an airport near you than drive to you.

My daughter and I flew to Glasgow from Cardiff to pick up my Jeep. Great little weekend adventure.

If I had the time to commit to another classic I'd certainly consider yours but not sure you'd be happy with the offer I'd make for it.

GLWTS anyway
Old 13 October 2010, 09:47 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 13 October 2010, 10:02 AM
phil739
Scooby Regular

things not moving at all unless priced very cheap

if i can find the right newage at the right price i will break my classic

good luck with the sale
Old 13 October 2010, 10:25 AM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

well ill give it a month, if i dont sell it ill take it off the road over the winter then either try again in spring time or if things have changed carry on with the suspension mods i had planned, whiteline arb's, droplinks, bc coilovers and just enjoy it. i think the values of these cars will go up over time for mint examples as there will be none left.
Old 13 October 2010, 03:16 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Mr Hat, it does look a real good example. I'm seriously considering my standard '99 UK Turbo, 52K genuine miles, but afraid to advertise it, as I'm scared I'll get the "I can buy one for £2000" parade. You can buy one for £2K, but I'm pretty damn sure it wont be as good as mine or yours. I can on the other hand see the point that you can buy a JDM type R for around the same money, or a early newage if thats your cup of tea. Hang on in there I say, give it time, because if someone (like I was) is looking for a pristine Turbo 2000 comes across yours I'm sure it will sell. I'm now trying to work out if I can afford another small diesel car for the Mrs to use and park the scoob up for the winter.

Last edited by Proby521; 13 October 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 13 October 2010, 04:05 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Nice car, wrong colour for me... and priced on the optimistic side.

We are in a recession, performance car prices have suffered badly and that is now STi money. Few enthusiasts will pick a UK Turbo over an STi, Type R etc etc

There may be a buyer out there but your market audience is very small for that car IMO.
Old 13 October 2010, 04:41 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay, and to be honest at that price your going to be hanging on for a while - plenty of nice examples around for that sort of money - its a buyers market at the minute, cars like this are not selling like they used to!

Quick Reply: selling classic, still not one call, why?????