Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What an Experience!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2002, 11:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dragged my *** down to Port Seton today to meet Cossie Convert (aka andy) and he took me for a spin in his STI. Before I start, I'd just like to extend a word of thanks to Andy as it was greatly appreciated.

Now. I've been in and driven some pretty quick cars but I don't think anything prepared me for this!! I jump in and off we head slowly snaking through P. Seton and all the time I'm thinking about how hard the suspension is and wondering what all the gizzmos do. We hit the open road and slowly warm her up until we find a chance to overtake - Foot goes down off we go - oh this is fast I think for a split second and then the turbo gets involved Talk about acceleration!!! This thing was just savage and munched through the gears in no time. We then hit the twisties and it was pretty much a case of It was brilliantly quick and since then the VTS has felt annoyingly slow!!

If I can get an MY99 and make it even 2/3 as quick as that I'll be happy!

Cheers again Andy
Old 06 April 2002, 11:23 PM
saxovts2000
Scooby Regular

Cool

I told you that you wouldn't be dissapointed!!!
Old 06 April 2002, 11:44 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'm just worried that standard UK's will feel totally **** now cause I've been in such a powerful scooby!

Ah well, guess I'll just have to mod it then
Old 07 April 2002, 12:29 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Cool

What's the spec of CC's car?
Old 07 April 2002, 12:58 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

The standard UK's don't feel bad at all mate, they just have taller gearing and a slightly 'limited' engine. A standard WRX has pretty well the same gearing in fifth as your VTS, which can become annoying on the motorway to be honest. I would love to have the Rex's first 4 gears and the UK's fifth.
I is relatively easy to free a good chunk of power from the UK's, as you probably know.
Personally, I will always take an import over the UK models, due to better spec generally especially with the earlier models in comparison and the extra power that the imports have. I can cope with the service hassles.
I am on my second Scoob now. Had an MY94WRX first and now have a STI2 . Still want my old 106GTI back though

Cheers,

Nick
Old 07 April 2002, 08:25 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Cheers john that would be brilliant. I stand corrected on the WRX RA thingy but it does have STi written where there should be fog lamps.

Were you at Crail today John and did I talk to you? I talked to someone with a lovely silver UK turbo with about 280bhp, it put a good two bus lengths on the VTS by the quarter mile and I'd say that was without a full rev clutch killing launch!! Saweeet!!!
Old 07 April 2002, 08:31 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No wasn't me. There is a silver turbo running a VF23 turbo. Depends on whose RR you believe but mine would probably be about 280 bhp at Power Engineering - 15-20 less at Star or Powerstation. Send me an email and we'll fix something up.
Old 08 April 2002, 12:55 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Ok, whos saying UK turbos are slow
got an offer (i think cos i was still in shock )
Had a blast against a rather quick (damn bloody quick!) Supra twin turbo monster, got to say that it was awsome to say the least
Lovely green one, had probs keeping up with it but was still there at the end had a quick (very) chat with the guy at some lights and he was pretty impressed with the scoob (ok whats this transmission loss cr@p then?!!) now need a copy of Banzai mag as me thinks hes either a part of the team or his cars in there this month (Hot number plate!)

Tony

(how quick does my car go?!!! good job for that Scoobymania Downpipe )

Old 08 April 2002, 10:42 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

I'll catch you tonight as well Kenny - John is kindly letting my pop over as well (I've wanted to see his car for ages).

I've a standard MY99 with no mods so you'll be able to tell the difference

Richard.
Old 08 April 2002, 06:07 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Brilliant! It'll be good to see what the step is from the Saxo to standard MY99 and then the step up again to heavily tuned MY99. See you there.
Old 09 April 2002, 12:27 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

John,

Thats Dek`s mota u r refering 2 (VF23)

Pete
Old 09 April 2002, 12:34 AM
Johnny
Scooby Newbie

Tony.

How many times. Its not a Supra.
Power meter gave me 167mph peak reading. Don`t want to upset you mate but I let my fut of the gas because clutch was spinning. Big Bird in the passenger seat had batterd sausage and chips lol.

Thanks for the mention. Alex will be pissed. lol.

Excellent

Cheers

Johnny
Old 09 April 2002, 11:17 AM
unikey
Scooby Newbie

and whats wrong with supra's....the UK turbo scooby is definately slower as standard but there designed for different things

[Edited by unikey - 4/9/2002 11:17:56 AM]
Old 04 July 2002, 05:43 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andy's car is a WRX RA - not an STi. But it does have a big TD05 turbo and short ratio box and he has increased the boost somewhat He said mine felt quite similar to his when one gear lower to account for the different gearing. I think he was being kind, but I run a 2000 model year UK turbo at 18.5 PSI which can be achieved fairly easily and safely. Any more and the little turbo struggles a bit. But it is certainly not slow. I am not far away from you - I'll email you so if u want a ride we can fix it up. Practically I think my car is about as fast as you can safely get a 99/00 ON THE STANDARD TURBO/INTERCOOLER so may be a useful benchmark for you, and it is considerably quicker than a boggo standard running 5 PSI less boost with a restrictive exhaust. It is very quiet compared with Andy's car though and not as quick I won't pretend!

Edit - no email address in your profile. Email me johnbanks@dsl.pipex.com and we'll see if we can make it over 2/3 as quick as Andy

[Edited by john banks - 4/7/2002 5:45:29 PM]