Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheres my engine bay beautification thread?

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2002, 10:50 AM
pmortlock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

i just bought loads of gunk, to clean my engine bay and bits under the bonnet. Is there any guides to doing this properly? I found some good links to a US site on engine bay restoration bu have lost it, put it on my thread, then it dissappeared!
Old 08 April 2002, 01:49 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

It's HERE
Old 08 April 2002, 09:29 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Talking

Its just a few thread just below this one at the mo.
Old 08 April 2002, 09:32 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just for you as you needed help.
Have fun.

Warm engine to normal temp either by idling or taking for a spin. Then switch off and open bonnet.

Spray engine cleaner over everything bar two items (intercooler and alarm). Allow to stand (soak in) for a few minutes. make sure you have also sprayed the underside of the bonnet.

With the engine still OFF, begin your power washing but keep the lance at least 12" clear of anything. Avoid at all costs aiming the lance at the fins of the intercooler (they will bend like buggery). You can always make a cardboard cut out to fit over the intercooler. Alos make sure that the alarm hooter is pointing downwards or is stuffed with an old cloth. If it fills with water you'll short the electrical circuit in the alarm hooter (it will sound off when the ignition is on...I know it happened to me a few years back.

Aim the lance into all nooks and cranies of the engine bay. When done check to see if all is clean. If not repeat the proceedure.

When done take and old towel (make sure engine is still OFF) and mop up excess water from areas ontop of the battery, air filter housing and trunking leading to inlet manifold etc and also from slam panel and the underside of the bonnet.

Now start your engine and allow to idle (do not rev it up) until normal temp is reached at the cooling fan has cut in at least twice. Then swithc off again.

Now spray protector over the engine, ancillaries and underside of bonnet and then close bonnet and allow engine heat to dry the protector off. Whilst this is happening you can get on with something else. (If not wait for aound 45 mins) and then open bonnet again. Using the damp towel that you used to mop up water wipe over the underside of the bonnet to remove runs and do the same to air filter housing, slam panel, radiator top and radiator cowling, battery etc etc.

Stand back and admire :-) :-)

Cost of Multiclean and protector £12 all inc postage.

Old 15 April 2002, 11:47 PM
pmortlock
Scooby Regular

mark,nice one, thats really useful thanks.