Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spent 5 hours trying to remove my up pipe twin scroll new age HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2010, 01:32 AM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spent 5 hours trying to remove my up pipe twin scroll new age HELP!

I set to work on fitting my new headers and up pipe on my JDM Twin scroll 2003 sti I started by undoing the downpipe which is a roger Clark so dead easy with no heat shields, then I unbolted the top of the up pipe and unbolted the headers 6 bolts and was hoping the whole unit would drop and only an hour in I was doing well, the whole unit would not drop so I set about unbolting the bottom bolts on the up pipe and the headers were free yet the up pipe would still not drop I tried turning it in every direction rotating it to no avail. So then I thought does it come out through the top so I removed the turbo completely and the up pipe would still not come out, so after 5 hours of swearing and thrustration I give up and put it all back together as is so a wasted evening please help? anybody!!!!!
Old 21 September 2010, 04:08 AM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I had to undo the two engine mounts on the sub frame and jack the engine up half an inch before they dropped down if my memory serves me right!
Old 21 September 2010, 08:31 AM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with my downpipe and turbo off, i removed the support brackets to the block, dropped the header heatshield only, undone the bolts from the header to up-pipe and my up-pipe lifted straight out! didnt lift the engine at all?! actually thought it was quite easy after all the hype you read on here it helped to have someone holding a spanner from the top while i was underneath with a rachet and extension
Old 21 September 2010, 08:33 AM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

then again mine was a uk single scroll, cant imagine it being too much harder though, especially with the turbo off, i wouldn't bother doing one with the turbo on if i had to ever do one again, makes it alot easier
Old 21 September 2010, 08:54 AM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by techno_brat
then again mine was a uk single scroll, cant imagine it being too much harder though, especially with the turbo off, i wouldn't bother doing one with the turbo on if i had to ever do one again, makes it alot easier

completely different, single scroll is so much easier as it's only a single pipe with smaller plate at the top the turbo sits on

i would say lifting the engine is the only possible way as the end plate of the pipe fouls the block/sub frame which ever way you pull it out

did'nt realise you tried to do it again after i left you rick, thought you was just putting it back together

Last edited by TingTongPJ; 21 September 2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 21 September 2010, 04:32 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well after an hour of doing it i thought i was making excellent progress and even did my research on here on removing the up pipe and unfortunately i found out the hard way that all the threads were intended for single scroll and twin scroll is twice the size and after more research it does require the engine lifting slightly and it drops out the bottom no need to remove the turbo, now i know how to do it the question is do i have another go? NNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! i think i will just leave it lol