Sponsored by:

locking wheel nut problem

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2010, 12:33 PM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locking wheel nut problem

I have never had any problem with locking wheel nuts in my life but the mcgard ones fitted to subarus are the ****tiest items i have ever known. I changed a set of pads recently delayed while having purchase a new security nut remover as it sheared so easily.
well i did the pads no problem and have recently purchased a set of prodrive centre caps so today i go to fit them and bugger me if the new nut remover has not sheared again, i am fuming nearly had a basil fawlty moment and attacked the car with a big stick!!
If i can get the damn things off they are going in the bin. I know someone is going to tell me i have over tightened them but if it has happened before and you do the nuts up cautiously the next time you would like to think they would come off with ease. Am i doing something wrong, i am using a long bar to do them up as i have found a socket fits the nuts better and i stand less chance of damaging my gt1 alloys. I can only assume the security nut is made of toffee and because it is warm today it is too soft. Any body recommend a decent set of locking whell nuts for a subaru that do not suffer this irritating problem
Old 18 September 2010, 02:30 PM
greendragonkungfu
Scooby Regular

scoobyparts do em,
http://www.scoobyparts.com/acatalog/Miscellaneous.html

i have the chrome tuner set, bargain at 20 notes. have had no issues with em.
Old 18 September 2010, 10:41 PM
dazz86uk
Scooby Regular

same as above, my mate has these and they look and work fine. i have similar to urs and had no probs. when ever i do a lock n wheel nut up i do it a lot looser than other nuts. enough to make it do its job but not to much that it breaks. get a smaller socket than ur lock n wheel nut and use a hammer to force it over the lock n wheel nut it should come off then ,unless u glued it on . and then use a vice to get the lock and wheel nut out the socket. repeat on all lock nuts. u may need to buy more sockets lol
Old 19 September 2010, 08:29 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the same issue on my last Subaru .. had to take it to a mate garages to have him spend an hour attacking them to get them off.. just got a pair from Halfaulds and they where ok ..
Old 19 January 2011, 10:59 AM
jonny wilkinson
Scooby Newbie

Sorry if this is a bit of a thread resurrection but you should be tightening the nuts to 85 lb/ft using a torque wrench not using a long bar (which most folks can get more than 150 lb/ft on).

Our WRX S has got GT1s on and that's the recommended torque for them with the standard lock nuts/nuts.

Hope this helps.
Old 19 January 2011, 01:33 PM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

hacked the stupid things off in the end and bought a set from scooby parts. what a pox that was, new stud needed on one wheel. never ever buy mcgard wheel nuts one tiny error and you are well and truly fooked

Last edited by gtisid; 19 January 2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 19 January 2011, 06:57 PM
jh1
Scooby Regular

sounds a nightmare mate. i personaly wouldn,t tighten up the nuts with the long bar though great for undoing. if you don,t want to buy a torque wrench simply use the subaru wrench. having said that the mc guards maybe weaker than they should be so i wont be buying any. thank for the heads up. hope your wheels are ok too