Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2010, 11:34 AM
Roll Sound
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Saga

Hi All

Help!

Car is a JDM 99 WRX that had factory fitted cruise control, a funny delimiter with a strange switch, a ‘WRX-RA’ ecu, and lots of extras.

The symptoms of the problem were the speedo needle was jumping up to 30ish mph when the car stationary, or after engine being switched on. Then the speedo ceased reading speed whilst in motion (mostly), and it still jumped around occasionally whilst stationary.

The car goes into limp mode after any high boost, I suppose because the speedo isn’t giving information to the ecu, which is why it needs fixed!

First I tried changing the speedo sensor, no difference. Then changed the speedo binacle, no difference. Then tried a mates ECU: no difference. Now Its in bits at SW Motorsport having changed the delimiter to simpler one, deleted all traces of cruise control, and STILL no difference.

Then we hardwired a temporary ecu - speed sensor wire and also hardwired some power to the sensor, bypassed all delimiter/converter wiring, and still there is no bloody difference.

I have a spark coming on monday so I need plenty of plans of attack whilst he's here, so any guidance would be hugely appreciated.

missed out on a whole summers scoobying and its still a mystery.

very many thanks,
Chris.