ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

what rights do i have?

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2010, 08:14 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what rights do i have?

i bought my scooby with full service history,all receipts etc,recent head gaskets replaced at power engineering,i paid the full asking price as the car was so well looked after and lovely original condition,however two weeks later it started to rattle,i phoned the seller,who booked it in to power engineering to be checked,as soon as i got there the guy at power engineering told me that he had told the vendor that this was going to happen and that is was big end failure,i paid 3500 in cash,the seller told me that he was not warned by power engineering,yet the advice note was on power engineerings computer.what rights do i have?
Old 14 September 2010, 08:25 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

selling a car with a known problem is very illegal, you need to go and get some legal advice from the likes of CAB, do you have the free legal cover on any insurance policies ?
Old 14 September 2010, 08:36 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72
selling a car with a known problem is very illegal, you need to go and get some legal advice from the likes of CAB, do you have the free legal cover on any insurance policies ?
i will have to check my insurance.
Old 14 September 2010, 08:48 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stu turbo 98
i bought my scooby with full service history,all receipts etc,recent head gaskets replaced at power engineering,i paid the full asking price as the car was so well looked after and lovely original condition,however two weeks later it started to rattle,i phoned the seller,who booked it in to power engineering to be checked,as soon as i got there the guy at power engineering told me that he had told the vendor that this was going to happen and that is was big end failure,i paid 3500 in cash,the seller told me that he was not warned by power engineering,yet the advice note was on power engineerings computer.what rights do i have?
If PE are willing to go on paper quoting exactly what you have described then you can indeed issue proceedings against the seller if the fault was not mentioned when you bought the car. I would stop posting on this site regarding the issue and get legal advice asap. Don't forget to update us when the issue is over.
Old 15 September 2010, 03:41 PM
Toomanycars
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stu turbo 98
however two weeks later it started to rattle,i phoned the seller,who booked it in to power engineering to be checked,as soon as i got there the guy at power engineering told me that he had told the vendor that this was going to happen and that is was big end failure?
What reason did they give for telling the vendor "this was going to happen" and how long ago before you bought the car did they tell him?

It strikes me as a bit odd that if the guy you bought the car from had used Power Engineering to diagnose a problem and this is what they told him,that he would send you back there to be told what you have if he was trying to hide something?

Surely it would be more likely that he would have either told you to get lost,or told you to take it anywhere but back there??
Old 15 September 2010, 08:24 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Toomanycars
What reason did they give for telling the vendor "this was going to happen" and how long ago before you bought the car did they tell him?

It strikes me as a bit odd that if the guy you bought the car from had used Power Engineering to diagnose a problem and this is what they told him,that he would send you back there to be told what you have if he was trying to hide something?

Surely it would be more likely that he would have either told you to get lost,or told you to take it anywhere but back there??
the car had been in to power engineering to have head gaskets done,that is when power engineering had discovered bearings were worn,the lady owner was then advised of the problem,when i spoke to her husband,who i bought the car from,about the rattle he suggested i go back to power engineering as the problem might have been related and covered by the warranty,when i told the husband what power engineering had said,he said he was unaware of the advise given to his wife by power engineering!
the fact is this, i have only got power engineerings word on it, which is not really proof,so cannot be used as evidence,i did the deal with the owners husband,not the owner,so to sum it all up im 3500 pound down and no leg to stand on,and now own a lovely condition full scale model of a subaru.
Old 15 September 2010, 09:29 PM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

Apparently its very common for big end failure within weeks of HGF replacement.

I know it dosent help you much either mate.
As for where you stand then unfortunately its buyer beware in a private sale.
Feel bad for you mate - you must feel awful
Old 15 September 2010, 09:33 PM
Oilburner
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate if its a private sale its generally 'sold as seen'.Have a look on your reciept if it doesn't say that on it you might have some comeback
Old 15 September 2010, 10:18 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

i do feel gutted as i could have used the money to restore my old wagon,i just gotta take it up the chuff,i dont think the seller had any bad intensions,this car has got full service history,with everything documented,and near perfect,for nearly 12yrs old.