Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one had dealings with Abbey Coachworks ?

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2010, 12:45 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Any one had dealings with Abbey Coachworks ?

They are based in Wembley (west London)

After an incident on the A1 my scoob is to be collected by them for evaluation. I'm keeping everything crossed that the non starting engine, is down to plastic obstructing a pulley for the cambelt, and not because the valves and pistons are fried.

Was hoping to find out other peoples experience with them, as this should of been sorted out last thursday / friday, and they are only just collecting the car today.
Old 01 September 2010, 01:06 PM
Scooby220
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have heard of them but have'nt personally used them.

Found this on the net if it helps,

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...4q2R6HfIluVpQw

Hth
Firose
Old 01 September 2010, 03:04 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, will keep an eye out. Hopefully there have been some changes since 2004
Old 01 September 2010, 04:48 PM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

an incident as in an insurance incident?
Old 01 September 2010, 05:03 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

yes an incident which will invovle a claim on the insurance. Abbey Coachworks will be doing the assessment to see if its a write off or not. If it isnt, they will be doing the repairs - not my choice, Admiral wont budge.
Old 02 September 2010, 11:11 PM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

tell admiral 'Bollox' mate. I had this exact same problem with them. They sent me to some coachworks place in basildon. Took them 3weeks to tell me if my car was a write off or not. And that was 3 weeks of continuous phonecalls and the coachworks place saying -we're looking tomorrow- then when it was decided to be a repair they said that place had to do it....which is rubbish. Check the small print, you can choose whoever you want to do the repairs. You just need two seperate quotes.
Give scoobyclinic a call they'l tell you the same (also they do crash repairs)
dont let the insurers trick you mate. They're utter w@nkers and want their own crap repairers to do the work to save on costs. I mean the coachworks place will probably do a good job, but they're always bombed with work from the insurers contract.

Double check the small print though mate, you can honestly have whoever you choose repair the damage.
Old 02 September 2010, 11:47 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Ah thanks for that, Ill go over the small print and see if I can get it to my local garage, who were good enough to let me store it over the bankholiday, get the stereo out, and give it a quick going over, all for a voluntary £10 + a crate of beers that ill be dropping round.

Admiral said they only get charged £25 per hour for labour, which is the only saving grace. My local place is £45, which I think is still reasonable.

Last edited by Richy P1984; 02 September 2010 at 11:50 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 03 September 2010, 11:21 AM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

its definitely in there mate have a good read through. most insurers also have the rule but dont tell you.
i think it may even be a general rule right across all insurers that you can pick who you want to do the repairs.
you normally have to get two independent quotes, then when they pick one they send a bloke down to go over it. ive had the same row with insurers every single time ive needed anything done
Old 03 September 2010, 11:32 AM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

"If you do not wish to use an Admiral approved car repairer, you can use your own nearest or most convenient garage. If you decide to use your own garage be prepared to provide repair estimates. Admiral's inspectors will check the damage before the repairs are to be authorised"

the catch with this is that you cant get the hire car if you took that out in your policy.... but i myself use a garage that gives me a car whilst mines repaired anyway.
If you use their own ones it takes them forever to do the repair. If they write it off i'd request a second opinion too.....

Last edited by fiveskin; 03 September 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03 September 2010, 11:46 AM
scixer6r
Scooby Regular

After reading that report good luck sounds like your going to need it.
Old 03 September 2010, 12:52 PM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

i noticed that report was about elephant.....and who are elephant? theyre admiral too. they are also Bell.
trading name sections of the same company. Mine was a coachworks in basildon and it was like a pikey car graveyard run by retards.
Old 03 September 2010, 01:53 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info. I just have to take into consideration the lack of car if I get it repaired at my local. That is a big problem as it costs me £13 a day on public trasport to get to work and back.

If they write it off I'll deff try and get a second opinion, as I believe the car would have been worth £3000 (paid £4000) before the incident.

Do you know if you can ask for the claim to be cancelled if it does turn out to be 'un economical' to repair, rather than too dangerous. I'd buy it back off them and get the local garage to repair it for about £2000 (partial engine rebuild + front / rear bumper, new fog light, new headlight cover) I can live with the wings not being perfectly lined up, off by a couple of mm but no damage to them.

I'm not worried about resale value, as by the time I decide to get rid of it, It will probably only be worth £500-1000. This cars a keeper, was in very good condition before it met with the safety barrier.
Old 03 September 2010, 07:58 PM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

I crashed mine into a petrol station and took the 7grand they offered me. It was only worth 4 Christ knows where they got 7 from!
then I bought a brand new hawkeye and some dick took my Qing out after only one month ownership... Had to go through all the arguements again

The buyback option is your best bet if it's a write off, though I'd still request your own bloke go down and take a look. The coach works place wrote mine off and there really weren't much wrong with it... But the 7 grand was too good.
Remember insurers are *******s though as once you've reported an accident, even if you choose not to make a claim, they still mark your card and whack your premium up!!
Old 03 September 2010, 08:01 PM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

You're in west London aren't you mate? I'm east which is a shame as I know a cracking repair place over here, car hire included