Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty claim on European import - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2001, 10:00 AM
richard.heald
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a UK spec MY00 Turbo imported from Holland. It has developed clutch judder (as most seem to) and I’m looking to get it replaced under warranty.

I understand that I have to pay for the repairs, the parts are then sent back to Holland for inspection before they pay for the work. I would like to hear from other people with European imported cars who have had warranty work done on the process, time scale and how likely I am to get paid.

Thanks - Richard
Old 12 March 2001, 10:53 AM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Richard,

I had the same problem about a year ago now. Had to pay the local dealer the full amount for the clutch/flywheel replacement, ship the parts out myself to the Dutch dealer.
He then did the chasing with Subaru Holland to get them to accept that this was a warranty claim and reimburse me.

This did finally happen, but it took a good 4 months to be settled. I wasn't compensated for the interest on the credit card nor the cost of sending out the parts.
At least they accepted it as a claim though after initially rejecting it!

An important point though is to make sure that your dealer has an inspection report on your existing clutch that clearly states that the clutch is faulty and hasn't been abused. This will give you valuable leverage with Subaru Holland.

Old 12 March 2001, 10:53 AM
MickeyG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I too encountered similar dragging of feet on behalf of Subaru UK when my import was stalling.

I phoned the Dutch dealer, and he made the whole thing work much smoother. Obviously Subaru UK have an interest in making stuff like this awkward for us (so we buy from them next time - assuming it does not annoy us to the point of never going back) however the Dutch dealer has an interest in making the process "work" for us.

In my case, no work needed to be done, and no claim was made, but the dealer was keen to help.

Good luck,

MickeyG
Old 12 March 2001, 02:13 PM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Richard

I had the same problem recently and got a reasonable outcome, with a bit of lobbying. For details see: