Help required from a newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2010, 09:28 PM
x8mrk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help required from a newbie!

Hello to all,

I'm looking to start track days again & thinking of buying a Subaru & have seen this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...RK:MESINDXX:IT

The help i need is is this the right one to buy? dont get me wrong i know all about RA's but concerned about the mileage & i'm limited when it comes to mechanically minded issues so when things do go wrong its into the garage, im expect problems but not constent ones.
I think i'm also concerned as i've spent a fortune in the past but i was running a cosworth & it seemed to have problems after/durring every trackday,nightmare.

If i did buy this what would it need to make it reliable as possible under such pessure.

Alot to ask i know,lol.
Old 30 August 2010, 10:01 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

The one thing i would worry about is the induction kit fitted and not been mapped for it, or at least it dosent mention anything about an aftermarket ecu. These cars eat mafs with induction kits fitted...
Old 30 August 2010, 10:32 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

hi fella,
yerr it looks a nice car and from the description sounds nice to. you can never tell if its a good 1 or bad 1 without seeing it in the flesh. it seems very cheap for a type RA!!!!!!. theres loads of em out there so dont be impolsive like we all get at the best of times, take your time and look around before you part with your ££££. if i where you id want to see the car started from cold, as some suffer from piston slap (knocking whilst cold)...and when they reach running temp it goes. i wouldnt worry to much about that sort of milage as long as the car has been surviced every 4-6k and parts replaced as and when needed. anyway i wish you all the luck in your quest to find the perfect track car plsease put some pics up when you do.
Old 31 August 2010, 08:26 AM
x8mrk
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for replying gents, on the link to there web site they say the car has been remapped so will have to check that out.
I think i need to take a trip down there & listen out for the things you have listen & a general good look around, i will keep you informed.

Cheers.
Old 31 August 2010, 08:56 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That ad is full of bs tbh,
RA = Race Altered.
Rusting on the rear arches, yes its common, yes its expensive to fix (but they wont tell you that ) if its rotted inside then your looking at new panels, 1000 quid plus vat (unpainted) from subaru, cheaper from a breaker or getting them filled if they are not too bad, or resprayed, even that will set you back a few hundred quid, more for a decent job.
Handles better than a normal wrx, what BS, its got the same effin suspension, its going to handle the bleeding same.
Lightweight shell.... yeah ok if your lucky with all the sound proofing removed, it may be 30kg lighter, the shell isnt any different to a normal wrx.
Atleast they know that the car needs to be run on super unleaded, think you can find much better tbh, a newer UK car for that money comes with better suspension, less power but you can remap the 99/00 ones anyway.

Tony
Old 31 August 2010, 09:14 AM
x8mrk
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Tony that helps, i dont think i will bother with it ill have a look at the uk turbos.

Thanks again.

I did see this RA that i like the look of,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...RK:MESINDXX:IT

The auction has ended with out a sale could be a bargin.