Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would be newbie wants to know how often Scoobs get stolen (other than carjacking)

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2002, 05:49 PM
dougthethug
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanna P1 - had a drive in one and well impressed, looking to buy.

I've read lots of posts in here about carjacking - but there is nothing you can do about it (apart from get another and more boring car) so no point in worrying either. It will happen or it won't.

But how often do Scoobs get plain stolen without jacking? eg joyriders or plain old thieves? Who leaves theirs out on the street at night?

Sorry if this has all been done to death many times but the search function ain't working
Old 03 April 2002, 06:18 PM
andrewjlane
Scooby Regular

Most insurers insist on tracker systems so even if it does get nicked they aren't going to get far. Cheam Motors had one nicked off their forecourt - someone tricked their way into the salesmans office, lifted the keys and drove off. Got as far as the A3 before being "tracked". Mines parked on our drive but I make sure that I block it in with another car. Car jacking - well I think a lot is media hype but you do have to be careful. ALWAYS lock it at petrol stations and drive with doors locked - you know it makes sense Rodney!
Old 03 April 2002, 06:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Most think that area depends on where you get your car nicked (sometimes it does, would you leave your car in moss side?!! ) but being a "noticable car" its going to gather more attraction than say a 205gti.
I'll probably get flamed for this but.... leaving this type of car out on a street (unless very quiet type street) and your probably asking for trouble, the lower lifes will have a go at trying to steal it, the jealous types will just key it, the pi55ed ones will just pi55 on it and the theives will try kicking your door in for it (sitting target outside your house, they may even just lift the car onto the back of a flatbed and drive off).
Now saying that, next doors car was garaged (honda civic lsi), the theives broke into the garage and tried to steal it! Mine was parked on the drive, lots of visable security, van at bottom of the drive with alarm in that too so too much of a pain to even attempt to steal mine....
If you feel that you dont want to be car jacked (seems to be going on in nicer areas rather than higher risk areas IMHO) or waking up at 3 in the morning to see if your cars still there, then dont buy one, it just goes with the territory

Tony
Old 03 April 2002, 06:51 PM
Brynweb
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I reckon that's sound advice Tony.

If you can afford the insurance, get a scoob and live with the risk (whilst taking as many precautions as you can).
Old 03 April 2002, 07:24 PM
dougthethug
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

This is all a bit depressing, actually.
I'm in an office in Central London right now and there are 2 Porsches left out on the street round the corner, every night! They don't even get keyed.
Old 03 April 2002, 07:29 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Yeh but look how quiet central london gets at night, right in the city the pubs close at 9pm! and its a ghost town after that (i know ive worked quite a few nights down there )
But park on the road in your normal suburban street and ouch!

Tony
Old 04 April 2002, 07:59 AM
dougthethug
Scooby Newbie

Hmm. So basically I need to buy a cr*pmobile for these leave-out-on-the-street-at-night situations.

Luckilly there are lots of these on the market!

Trending Topics

Old 04 April 2002, 08:52 AM
Dr Lurve
Scooby Regular

I dont think Scoob are at particuarly greater risks than other similar cars. Jen.
Old 04 April 2002, 10:40 AM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

If you're looking at getting a P1, they already come with Trakstar Guardian as standard (otherwise no bu**er would insure them), and the doors lock automatically as soon as you turn the key in the ignition (which helps slightly, but they'll probably just break the glass).
I leave mine on the street (no choice really), and only been broken into once in 1 1/2 years.
Old 04 April 2002, 12:47 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

My MY98 lived on the street the whole time I owned it with no problems. My wifes Seicento which was parked in front of it got broken into last October . The Scooby was parked there and had fingerprints on the paintwork but got left alone.

Laurence
Old 04 April 2002, 04:57 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Austin Metros are more likely to get nicked by the *******, easier to bypass the security.....when did you ever see a joyridden scoob on "the scariest police video chases 178"
Old 04 April 2002, 05:32 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

There was always that evo and scoob chase, the one where the evo had to stop for fuel

Tony