Sponsored by:

I love 4WD in the wet...

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2010, 07:51 PM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love 4WD in the wet...

Was at a track day at Rockingham yesterday and it was raining hard for most of the morning (and quite a bit of the afternoon). Lots of spray and standing water on quite a few parts of the track, plus lots of rubber down from a single seater test day on Friday.

For those of you who don't know the Rockingham international circuit its a third of a days of thunder style banked track (split by a chicane) and then lots of infield twisty turny bits.

Now I'm not exactly Lewis Hamilton, and my car isn't the fastest scoob around (around 300bhp with standard interio trim left). Usually I'm overtaken more than I overtake.

However, yesterday was different. The great majority of cars were rear wheel drive.

And they were useless!

I was shooting past caterhams, all manner of lotuses, 350Zs, porsches (including a GT3) and BMWs. It was particularly satisfying sitting behind a 350Z watching him fishtail every time he even went near the accelerator. The only two cars that overtook me all morning were a Radical racer (in race wets - my god those things are fast) and a front wheel drive racing clio (also looked like race wets and promptly sent home for being a nutter).

I'm not saying that it wasn't hairy at times (4 wheel drift anyone?), even in the scoob, but at least I could get a bit of traction in the corners!

Unfortunately by the end of the day the track had dried and I was back to being lapped time and again. But for the morning... I was king!
Old 15 August 2010, 08:07 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hiya mate, me and partner have just come back from Rockingham and my partner drove my Subaru Type R there and back. Really enjoyed reading your experience of Rockingham. Can relate and it was a lovely experience to read your post.

Scoobies are not the fastest thing on the planet but boy are they fun.
Old 15 August 2010, 08:53 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was on the track this afternoon found my sti to be very understeery and no way i could keep up with a couple of standard evos in corners