Advise Regarding Classic Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2010, 03:36 PM
RynHelturus
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise Regarding Classic Impreza

Hi guys.

I was wondering if anybody would be as kind as to help me out with a couple of questions, I must also mention that I'm situated in South Africa (our local Scoob scene is not very clued up, hence I'm asking here). I'm currently in the market for an STI, I found a silver 2000MY with 87k which I'm very interested in. But, I'm not sure if its an STI or just a WRX.

Here's the actual link to the advertisment.

http://www.junkmail.co.za/v-johannes...23QYEdQX201022

I also found another one, which to me looks exactly the same.

http://autoadstrader.co.za/classifie...ubaru-wrx-2000

I was also wondering if there are any major problems that I should be on the look out for? I read somewhere that sub-98 octane fuel could lead to engine damage....my country's highest grade is 95. I would really appriciate any advise or assistance in chosing my future scooby. Thanks
Old 10 August 2010, 04:09 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Vehicle Identity Number (VIN) is the only safe way to verify the model type: http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...ProductionRuns

All Jap import STIs and WRXs are mapped for 100 RON fuel, as you say run anything less than 98 you risk detonation and premature engine failure. Luckily though if your buying MY99 onwards the engine management can be remapped via a laptop by someone who knows what they're doing with the ECUTek software for whatever fuel you plan to use in it, e.g. 95 RON.
Old 10 August 2010, 04:09 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car advertised in the first add is not a Sti, it's a wrx 100% positive. The second add im 90% sure that it's just a wrx aswell. You will have a big problem with the fuel being 95ron as the import cars are setup to run on japanese fuel which i believe is 100ron. You will have to research into someone mapping your car for you in South Africa as it's tailored to your cars characteristics. If you was to drive the car on 95ron the engine would deteriate and fail over time.
Old 10 August 2010, 04:11 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L.J.F
The car advertised in the first add is not a Sti, it's a wrx 100% positive.
That first car is an oddity in more ways than one. It has a phase 1 engine in it, despite in all other respects appearing to be a later car. As you say it doesn't appear to be an STi and on the basis of the pics and info alone, I'd be sufficiently unsure of its provenance to either turn away at this moment or need a lot more info before proceeding.

Last edited by Splitpin; 10 August 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10 August 2010, 04:17 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive just done a search for you and there is 4 ecutek dealers in South Africa, here is a link for you so when you do find the right car you can have it setup safely for 95ron

http://www.ecutek.com/map/