Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sti 8 tmic onto my classic, yes or no???

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2010, 02:34 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti 8 tmic onto my classic, yes or no???

ok, my car goes in on thursday to get all my bits and bobs fitted prior to andy forrest remap next tuesday, parts to go on are

andy f hybrid td04
ported headers and uppipe
walbro fuel pump
3 port boost solinoid

car already has full decat and panel filter

i was going to fit a prodrive y pipe to the standard intercooler which i have but the garage tempted me with a used sti8 topmount and i have sourced a sti8 undertray as well, its in excellent condition and he said i could have it for £100, the intercooler that is. so should i go ahead and get them to fit that as well or should my standard intercooler be fine for the 300-310 bhp that im aiming for with the ecutek remap????
Old 10 August 2010, 02:41 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr hat
ok, my car goes in on thursday to get all my bits and bobs fitted prior to andy forrest remap next tuesday, parts to go on are

andy f hybrid td04
walbro fuel pump
3 port boost solinoid

i was going to fit a prodrive y pipe to the standard intercooler which i have but the garage tempted me with a used sti8 topmount and i have sourced a sti8 undertray as well, its in excellent condition and he said i could have it for £100, the intercooler that is. so should i go ahead and get them to fit that as well or should my standard intercooler be fine for the 300-310 bhp that im aiming for with the ecutek remap????
defo get it fitted.sti 8 tmic is far better than oe!
Old 10 August 2010, 03:14 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes for that price get it. Even if you take it off and sell it on before the remap. That's a bargain price for a newage STi intercooler imo.
Old 10 August 2010, 04:11 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

yes i know its cheap, seen them go for much more. ok cool ill get it fitted as well then.
Old 10 August 2010, 04:52 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

i would def go for that

here was mine once upon a time

Old 10 August 2010, 05:03 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

Defo Worth it

heres mine

Old 10 August 2010, 05:11 PM
DanTerzo
Scooby Regular

Good fitting guide here
http://www.carldavey.co.uk/article.php?id=3

Trending Topics

Old 10 August 2010, 05:13 PM
DanTerzo
Scooby Regular

Another
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...ntoMY00Classic
Old 10 August 2010, 06:06 PM
Sabas
Scooby Regular

I have been debating this for a good couple of weeks, as I have a phase 1.5 manifold and reading the guides, I think I have dismissed it, but would have liked to do it

Tingtong, what did you do with the clutch reservoir, cut it down, or did it fit next to it okay?

Last edited by Sabas; 12 August 2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10 August 2010, 07:12 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mr hat

andy f hybrid td04
walbro fuel pump
3 port boost solinoid

I assume this is on a Classic. For what you are proposing this sounds very cost effective and certainly worth doing. It would be in your interests to try and tie the garage down with a fixed price for fitting the top mount as it can be a bigger job than envisaged.

Sabas: David, your situation is different and you would be better going for a front mount as alread explained.
Old 10 August 2010, 09:06 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

yes on a classic, i will get a price from the garage . cheers.
Old 11 August 2010, 09:44 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

To give you an idea I fitted an sti 5 one to my 93 RA and it took me about 3 hours. The newage TMIC is larger and harder to get in there. But that's just me fitting it at home. If it's a conversion that a garage has done a few times I'd expect them to get it done in 1.5 to 2 hrs.
Old 11 August 2010, 03:52 PM
ice643
Scooby Regular

Do you leave the original duct on underneath the scoop or do you get a sti one or can it be modified for the intercooler.
Old 11 August 2010, 04:31 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ice643
Do you leave the original duct on underneath the scoop or do you get a sti one or can it be modified for the intercooler.
You should really get the sti undertray otherwise you won't really end up with much better ict as you won't be running the ic at full efficiency.
Old 11 August 2010, 04:39 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

You'll really struggle getting a newage on an "early" classic there just isnt the room The later classics had a redesigned inlet manifold that created the much needed extra space

I did the same as V4JDMSTI but onto a 95

Its just a lot of trial and error checking for contact points and stuff.

Undertray wise i modified a 2004 sti undertray to fit my bonnet, kept the water spray too

What year is your car??

Last edited by DDS789; 11 August 2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11 August 2010, 04:50 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

my car is a my00 uk turbo classic. i have bought an sti 8 undertray as well so that the intercooler gets all the air it needs. i will let you know how i get on with it, cheers.
Old 11 August 2010, 05:54 PM
Hurley1611
Scooby Regular

heres mine mate my00 uk 2000:
Old 11 August 2010, 06:45 PM
ice643
Scooby Regular

mines a v3 sti.
Old 12 August 2010, 07:34 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Fitting an STi 8 TMIC to an STi 3 is a big job and a bigger job than fitting a front mount to do it neatly and professionally. Brackets have to be made, idle control valve has to be relocated etc.
Without the STi 8 scoop and bonnet undertray the results are disappointing.
Old 12 August 2010, 08:24 AM
Sabas
Scooby Regular

That's why I dismissed it, no point spending up £300 + , I wouldn't attempt to fit it myself, if one day I might go FMIC, but it sounds like you have a good deal there
Old 12 August 2010, 10:25 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sabas
That's why I dismissed it, no point spending up £300 + , I wouldn't attempt to fit it myself, if one day I might go FMIC, but it sounds like you have a good deal there
imo £300 spent on a good quality tmic is better than money spent on a cheap fmic. Unless you're aiming for big bhp there's no need to run an fmic. The newage tmic will flow up to about 400bhp.
Old 12 August 2010, 03:53 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

car is in today getting all the parts fitted, was still working on the top mount said hes making a couple of brackets up for it, "its a tight fit" he said, lol. everything else fitted apart from the walbro which he is doing last after the tmic and undertray. im hoping its going to be ready for me to pick up at 5.
Old 12 August 2010, 11:01 PM
Sabas
Scooby Regular

How did it go?
Old 13 August 2010, 01:28 AM
Hyperflow
Former Sponsor

Default Quality TMIC

Hope all went well, our TMIC kits fit up no worries all specifically designed to suit the particular model. An individual would be able to fit it up in 1/2 hour by themselves. I dont know why people who have great cars which are worth a pretty penny are then tight ***** when it comes to paying some money for a top quality performance product that enhances the initial purchase significantly.
Yes you wouldn't go for a Front Mount unless you were really going all out power hungry.
However the aftermarket Top Mount Intercoolers make a significant difference over standard - some a lot better than others
Old 13 August 2010, 09:35 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hyperflow
Hope all went well, our TMIC kits fit up no worries all specifically designed to suit the particular model. An individual would be able to fit it up in 1/2 hour by themselves. I dont know why people who have great cars which are worth a pretty penny are then tight ***** when it comes to paying some money for a top quality performance product that enhances the initial purchase significantly.
Yes you wouldn't go for a Front Mount unless you were really going all out power hungry.
However the aftermarket Top Mount Intercoolers make a significant difference over standard - some a lot better than others
Want to send me one to trial?
Old 13 August 2010, 10:47 AM
Sabas
Scooby Regular

Or me
Old 13 August 2010, 12:38 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by V4JDMSTi
imo £300 spent on a good quality tmic is better than money spent on a cheap fmic. Unless you're aiming for big bhp there's no need to run an fmic. The newage tmic will flow up to about 400bhp.
£290 for a Hybrid GT or £335 for a Hybrid GT2 is very cost effective and performance enhancing providing the O/E top mount is already reaching its sensible output level. Rather than take my word for it or at what level an FMIC becomes beneficial, just fit an ACT guage, carry out your own observations and draw your own conclusions.
Every 4 deg C is around 1% power.

Unless you're aiming for big bhp there's no need to run an fmic.
I guess that depends on your definition of big BHP. A version 1 and 2 car is already struggling with ACTs at 280 BHP. By 300 bhp there is a very clear case for a front mount.
Ver 3-6 cars will struggle with ACTs between 300 and 320 BHP. Running at 320 bhp on the O/E TMIC on any of these cars and there are clear gains to be had from a front mount. The reason I know this is that I have done numerous tests, checked ACTs, fitted Hybrid FMICs (and other makes, including top mounts), checked ACTs again and in some cases have before and after dyno runs which have verified our understanding of what is happening and why.

The newage tmic will flow up to about 400bhp.
So you say. It will actually flow a long way past that figure but it will not be efficient and before 400 bhp there is a case for an efficient front mount. Do a search and you will find specific practical information.

Remember that the turbo fitted and boost pressure run will greatly influence ACTs. Running the turbo outside its efficiency zone will greatly increase ACTs. A bit like a dog chasing its tail. Adding more boost to get more power beyond a certain point and the heat rise means there is little or no power gain.

Remember also that the eficiency of an FMIC is not just its ability to control heat. What about the pressure drop across the core?

It is from a practical point of view that I have concluded that a front mount is often the way to go at a particular stage. The top mout has advantages and disadvantages but in my experience the advantages of the front mount beyond a certain point are such that the choice is clear.

Subaru obviously recognised their TMICs were lacking because the intercooling on these cars has been improved with each model since 1993. Add much power to these cars, particularly the older ones where you don't need to add any power in the first place and observe the ACTs. Make your own minds up but if you doubt the information above, do yourself a favour and do your own tests.

You can observe the ACTs via the ECU or by fitting an ACT guage. I sell them for £87.50 posted for permanent fit but you can make up your own with bits from Maplin for half that price. Observing pressure drop across the core or across the intercooler system is a bit more complex but also interesting.

Finally I remeber there was a test conducted in one of the magazines, carried out at Scooby Clinic. That may contain interesting information. I expect someone will post a link.
Old 17 August 2010, 02:05 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Thanks Harvey. Very informative reply as always.

Hmmm could be tempted at a little Maplin project. Haven't done anything like that since I was at school. Perhaps I should just buy one ready done in that case
Old 19 August 2010, 01:02 AM
Hyperflow
Former Sponsor

We have already sent out a lot to trial and that's why we have a superior product that we back up with a 12 month warranty. We know it works, fits and is competitively priced with all quality made aftermarket performance products. I suggest you buy one as there is no need to trial it as you wont want or need anything else.

Regards
Alex
Team Hyperflow
Old 19 August 2010, 07:54 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I suggest you buy one as there is no need to trial it as you wont want or need anything else.
I think it is good when Subaru owners can objectively test the components they use and give feedback to other interested fellow owners rather than just take the glossy advetising claims eg. BOVs and air filters that add 'x' power or octane booster that adds nothing and can even detract from performance.

We have already sent out a lot to trial and that's why we have a superior product
Sent out to trial where?
What results, what test data?
What was the actual test method?
Are you telling me your top mount will out perform a Hybrid front mount? In all my years of experience I am yet to find any top mount that will out perform an efficient front mount.

Quick Reply: sti 8 tmic onto my classic, yes or no???