Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2002, 07:37 AM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I saw this link in another post and it set me thinking:

http://www.seatcupra.net/power.shtm

My question is, what's most important, power or torque for a fast A to B road car? Here's what I mean:

Example 1.

I'm driving on an unfamiliar road in my VTEC (or similiar), and suddenly come across a slower moving vehicle. We come round a bend, and an overtaking opportunity, in the form of a short straight, presents itself. After a split seconds calculation (time-exposed to danger, braking area for next bend, what gear to use) I change down 2 cogs and hammer past the other vehicle, grinning like a madman.

Example 2.

Same situation, but this time I'm in my turbodiesel. Instead of changing down, I just plant it and it storms past in a cloud of sooty smoke, smiling smugly to myself.

Isn't example 2 going to be quicker, because it allows me to react more quickly to changing road conditions, without having to lose time by changing gear, and I'm also going to able to drive like this for longer, as I won't be frazzled by having to try and drive like Schumacher?

Any thoughts?
Tim
Old 03 April 2002, 07:43 AM
Great~taste~Bloke
Scooby Regular

Gentle balance of power and torque I think. This is what makes the ppp versions a fine car and on the road the p1 is not much quicker.
Old 03 April 2002, 07:58 AM
mik
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agree with GTB ~ I believe cars with a "similar number" for power (in BHP) and torque (in lbs.ft) are quickest in the majority of occaisions.

(was that wooly enough? )

In the situation you describe the VTEC guy will feel highly involved, and is....as selecting the relevant gear to drop you into the fun zone is paramount.

The TDI guy will blast past, and whilst it'll still provide a certain satisfaction, he (or she) will be less crucial to the outcome....just mash the pedal. Anticipating ahead and changing down would have taken you past no quicker....

Will the VTEC guy be quicker? Yeah I think so, so long as you've stirred your porridge in time.

And that's the crux - you have to be right on the ball to make the most of a car with a narrow power band. I don't believe you can do this on roads you don't know well, and with the uncertain variables of traffic.

Hence IMHO a car with a degree of flexibility is required to provide good "go" when you haven't anticipated the requirement.