Half-inching gits

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2001, 01:23 AM
KF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unluck break...

This is what I would do.

Think if the bloke that took the keys was in the DVLA place for a reason. It may be worth asking the guys behind the counter to make a note of all transactions that took place today, and note the addresses of people. See if they have any security cameras (get a move on with this one - they overwrite after a while).
Write down as much of a description as you can remember.

Second. Erase the key fobs, and reprogram your only existing one. Surely this is possible, but is probably a Subaru main dealer job. You will have to see them to get a new key anyway. Good time to get registered with IM too.

Get the key holes blanked. I am not sure if there is someone doing this on the new shape, but it was fairly common on the old.
Speak to Subaru in Wootton Wawen.
And then, you have done all you can. Relax and enjoy.

Good luck.
KF.
Old 09 March 2001, 01:47 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

pop down to a Sigma dealer, key fobs and main unit can be reprogrammed in minutes, as long as you have the paperwork.

Key fobs definatly 5 mins, alarm may take a bit longer, sometimes they need a code from the unit.
Old 09 March 2001, 09:49 AM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Bad break mate

Consider this, many places use cctv now (I am sure that the DVLA would have one), ask if they can check the tape, or ultimately if you can see the tape.....

Hope this helps.
Old 09 March 2001, 09:55 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Olly, look on the bright side mate - say someone had driven off in your car there and then? Given that they'd had the keys, the insurance may not have paid up. At least you've still got your car, and can sort out the problem.

Gary.
Old 09 March 2001, 12:30 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

I've had better days..

Cutting a long story short: I was called in today by the DVLA regarding the registration of my new MY2001 (Dutch import). No problems, just a routine inspection required for which I duly turned up for in Chester this afternoon.

The story goes like this: I turn up, park right outside the door of the VRO office, go inside, shake hands with the inspector who duly walks outside, inspects my car and places lots of ticks in boxes on a clipboard.
"Thank you Sir, please lock up your vehicle and step inside, and we will deal with all formalities so you can be on your way" No problem.

So I press the alarm button (the car locks), wander inside and meet the inspector at the counter, who asks me to fill in the new V55/5 form, as I had submitted the old form. I step to one side and complete the new form whilst the inspector serves the other people waiting. No problem.

Formalities complete, thankyou and goodbye, and I walk out of the door and feel for the keys in my pocket to press the alarm button. No keys.

From the 5 yards from my car to the door, a thorough search takes place. The inspector (who was very helpful in the matter) conducts a full search behind the counter to see if the keys have been handed in. No result.

There is only one solution: I must have locked the car, walked inside, placed the keys on the countertop while I filled in the forms, and some git has picked up my keys in the process. And of course, this has to be the only day in history when I have left the mobile on the kitchen table. There was no way I was leaving the car unattended, so had to borrow a pedestrian's mobile to call home. Naturally no-one was home, so I had to leave the logistics of arranging a set of spare keys to be delivered to Chester VRO with a mate. Hours later, my father finally arrived with the spare set of keys to find his son very cold, and very p1ssed off.

At first, I wasn't too bothered. My car was still wearing import plates in the carpark. The DVLA 'de-register' the Dutch registration, and the helpful guy at the VRO assured me that no (legit) link couuld be made to the new registration. However, having now had a pint or two of the black stuff and chilled a little, I now distinctly remember a tw@t looking over my shoulder whilst filling in the forms and seeing the purchace invoice on top of my pile of papers, of which my name and address is typed neatly in bold letters.

Needless to say I am now bloody paranoid: I have wedged the car in tonight, and I have the best burglar alarm in the world (a Giant Schnouzer who eats criminals) sleeping around 3 feet from the thing, but am unsure what to do next.

Can Sigma re-program my alarm so that the stolen fob has no effect?

Should I change the locks?

Should I buy a new car?

Should I stop worrying?

Should I be more careful?

Should we feed theiving sh1tters to the dogs?

Will a little old lady, who picked them up by mistake, hand them in first thing in the morning?

Answers on a postcard.
Old 09 March 2001, 11:07 PM
Christmas
Scooby Regular

Olly, maybe they thought it was a proper Impreza, when they saw it was a f**k ugly new one (Import? no spoiler?) decided to leave it.
Old 10 March 2001, 12:29 PM
ollyshorey
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that mate.

I hate theiving ***** like that.

Maybee, they can program your alarm, so if the old fob is used, it will ring the bell.

That would mean you could catch the tosser on the job.

Also but a CCTV system from argos, and set it up at the front of your house. That's hard evidence you know !