Sponsored by:

Advice on mild tune to 07 Sti

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2010, 03:17 PM
Fitz
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on mild tune to 07 Sti

Have just upgraded my bugeye to an 07 Hawkeye.
It's now out of warranty and has 20K miles on it.
Was looking for a mild tune to around 360bhp or thereabouts with limited budget of around £2K or so...

Already has a PPP and green panel filter but engine wise that's about it.

Any suggestions on spec and mapper?

Car is used everyday so it's needs to be realiable.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 22 July 2010, 03:28 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you only need a remap thats all?
Old 22 July 2010, 03:32 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dunc at Dynamix would get 360 with no additional mods.

You could throw in a de-cat front section to improve spool up maybe..but that's it

sorry, just read u have ppp... so just re-map would see 360odd

Last edited by scooby L; 22 July 2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 22 July 2010, 03:45 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

You won't get to 360bhp in a Hawkeye STi without a full exhaust system. Remapped STI will at best see around 320. For 340-350 you need a full exhaust including decat - can be had for around £500-£600. You will also need to have your map tweaked after the decat as well.
Old 22 July 2010, 03:49 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

1. Keep the car std but just remap for more oomph and better fuel economy.
A full custom remap will bring boost in much earlier and hold higher boost levels for longer but the map will be geared to running much more efficiently ( which is also more economically) as it wont be possible to push too much boost with both cats in place. Typically a Green/K&N/Cosworth air filter and a backbox are fitted at this stage but not essential - the backbox just adds some burble to the quiet hawkeye exhaust.

With a custom remap on the standard car typically this would get the car to around 310-320bhp with significant torque improvements.

2. Sports cat in downpipe - plus remove centre cat
A full custom remap will bring boost in much earlier due to the lower back pressure and hold much higher boost levels. The remap will also aim to get it running much more efficiently ( which is also more economically).
Typically a Green/K&N/Cosworth air filter is fitted at this stage (on top of the sports cat downpipe and exhaust system). A walbro 255 fuel pump is highly recommended.

It is also advisable to change to NGK 7 grade spark plugs at your next service.

This would get the car to about 340 - 350bhp but a huge boost in torque figures in the mid range.

3. Fully Decat Exhaust
The low back pressure from removing all the cats reveals the true characteristics of the boxer engine and really sets the 2.5 free. A remap is needed to bring it under control and stop overboosting that will happen enormously with the 2.5 engine. The remap will bring boost in as smooth as possible and most likely get full (and higher ) boost at around 2700 rpm and hold higher boost right through the rev range. The remap will also aim to get it running much more efficiently ( which is also more economically).
Typically a Green/K&N/Cosworth air filter and possibly a 3 port solenoid are fitted at this stage (on top of the decat downpipe and exhaust system).

This would get the car to about 350-360bhp on the std turbo but a huge boost in torque figures in the mid range and transform the way the car drives on the road. I remember this stage well on my own and it is a fantastic car to drive on the road.

A walbro 255 fuel pump is essential.
It is also advisable to change to NGK 7 grade spark plugs at your next service.

4. 350bhp - 400bhp

You may be one of the lucky ones and have a car that wants to produce power with the std turbo - the VF43 on the std car can get to around 360-370bhp tops but if you want to get to up closer to 400bhp there are a number of turbo options and rather than list them all here - gimme a shout and see which of the many turbos around could fit your requirements. There are lots of suppliers of turbos and they are changing all the time.

The car's engine, gearbox and clutch (just) can cope with this power.

It is adviseable to fit a larger diameter MAF housing by way of a good quality cold air induction kit.

5. Getting to over 400bhp

The std EJ257 STi engine has been taken over 400bhp but really it is adviseable to swap the cast pistons for some forged pistons at this stage.

Conrods would also be a worthwhile step if planning on revving higher than the current 6900 limit.

On top of this, there are clutch options, fmic, headers, up-pipe and lots of other items to consider such as extra fueling. It can be very expensive step going to over 400 bhp on the 2.5 and if for the road I would say that it is not worth doing it.

If you do decide that 400+ is 'needed' (lol) get lots of advice beforehand / look at similar cars that run over that level and decide whether you really want to chase the big numbers as it becomes a diminishing return for the money outlayed. In most ways it is just as expensive going for over 500 as it is over 400 so you may as well make that step I did - it is fun for sure

... hope that is useful.
Old 22 July 2010, 03:51 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

I have an 06sti hawkeye that has had an afterburner rear box and has had the resonated section replaced with a stright through pipe. Both cats still in and no other mods. JGM mapped it last year to 340bhp/360lbs and the difference is incredible.
Old 22 July 2010, 03:53 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

FYI - above comes from Duncan @ Race Dunamix not me.

Trending Topics

Old 22 July 2010, 03:54 PM
MICAWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luckyscoob
I have an 06sti hawkeye that has had an afterburner rear box and has had the resonated section replaced with a stright through pipe. Both cats still in and no other mods. JGM mapped it last year to 340bhp/360lbs and the difference is incredible.
Impressive
Old 22 July 2010, 03:55 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Indeed impressive IF accurate. I had an identical setup on my 06 Hawkeye STI and mine was only running 316/335 - that was mapped by Duncan @ Race Dynamix.
Old 22 July 2010, 04:01 PM
Fitz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI Mav
FYI - above comes from Duncan @ Race Dunamix not me.
Thanks. I have no intentions of going over 400bhp as it's just for road use.

Isn't PPP on the Hawkeye supposed to give 320bhp?
Which is where it is now. PPP+Green Panel+Centre resonator removed.
Old 22 July 2010, 04:08 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fitz
Thanks. I have no intentions of going over 400bhp as it's just for road use.

Isn't PPP on the Hawkeye supposed to give 320bhp?
Which is where it is now. PPP+Green Panel+Centre resonator removed.
PPP does not remove the centre section. All it does it give you an uprated fuel pump, pro drive backbox and a generic uprated map. Ideally you need to get the car on a rolling road and find out where the car is now - the PPP STI's don't all make 315-320bhp some come in at less than that around 300-310.

In simple terms if you want to get to 350-360bhp you need a full exhaust system and remap to get the best out of it. If you have a strong STI you should see closer to 360, a weaker one will be somewhere around 340-350.
Old 22 July 2010, 04:37 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Indeed impressive IF accurate. I had an identical setup on my 06 Hawkeye STI and mine was only running 316/335 - that was mapped by Duncan @ Race Dynamix.

TBH these seem to vary according to the car and who you talk to, and I guess what method is used to record it, as we know, different RR's give different results, but when you bear in mind that 316/335 are near as damn it the figures that prodrive give on a ppp'd cars, most mappers will confirm that they are conservative figures and a decent map will give better gains. When mine was mapped, 2 others had theirs done at the same time, and all three cars gave different figures, in fact the PPP'd 06 sti prior to being mapped was only 290 odd BHP due to fuel and needing a service.

All I know is that mine is a different car altogether with the remap done, much smoother and more drivable.
Old 22 July 2010, 04:40 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

PPP does not remove the centre section. All it does it give you an uprated fuel pump, pro drive backbox and a generic uprated map. Ideally you need to get the car on a rolling road and find out where the car is now - the PPP STI's don't all make 315-320bhp some come in at less than that around 300-310.

In simple terms if you want to get to 350-360bhp you need a full exhaust system and remap to get the best out of it. If you have a strong STI you should see closer to 360, a weaker one will be somewhere around 340-350.

PPP also relaces the first cat with a sports cat which is more free flowing and removes the second cat. ooopps, no it doesnt!

Last edited by Luckyscoob; 22 July 2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 22 July 2010, 04:49 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

PPP also relaces the first cat with a sports cat which is more free flowing and removes the second cat.
Not sure who told you that, but It doesn't Im afraid mate. The PPP pack on the Hawkeye's did nothing to the exhaust other than provide you with a Prodrive backbox.

http://www.prodrive.com/up/06MY%20STi%20PPP.pdf
Old 22 July 2010, 04:51 PM
badman1972
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Almost identical set-up to mine and exact same figures achieved by JGM also.............unbelievable difference from how it drove as standard and highly recommended
Old 22 July 2010, 04:54 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Not sure who told you that, but It doesn't Im afraid mate. The PPP pack on the Hawkeye's did nothing to the exhaust other than provide you with a Prodrive backbox.

I stand corrected, lol. Seems it was previous models that had the sports cat.
Old 22 July 2010, 04:55 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

To be honest I think those figures are somewhat optimistic based on those mods. Have either of you had the car rolling roaded anywhere else since you've had it mapped ?
Old 22 July 2010, 04:58 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

To be honest I think those figures are somewhat optimistic based on those mods. Have either of you had the car rolling roaded anywhere else since you've had it mapped ?
Just after it was mapped, but not in the last year. One of the guys who was with us had his done at the same time and was spot on with what JGM had told him too.

I am about to have it rr'd though at JRM so I'll post up the details, whatever the results LOL. Again tho, it seems RR's differ from one place to another aswell.

Last edited by Luckyscoob; 22 July 2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 22 July 2010, 04:59 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

this is correct!, although this seems to be a common mis-understanding with the hawkeye, perhaps there is some very early models on the hawk where this applied but maybe it was decided there was no gains in performance. i have had mine removed for better sound/burble but i have not noticed any improvement in performance.
Old 22 July 2010, 05:00 PM
Fitz
Scooby Regular

I stand corrected, lol. Seems it was previous models that had the sports cat.
certainly my bugeye PPP has centre box removed and sports cat.
no wonder the later PPP's were £400 less or free depending on deal you could get done!
Done being the operative word.

Yep, altho PPP'd, additionally the centre resonator box has been replaced for a straight through pipe.

All in all, sounds like 3" through exhaust with either decat or sports cat is an absolute must.
Good as it's far too quiet as it is! lol
Old 22 July 2010, 05:02 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Just after it was mapped, but not in the last year. One of the guys who was with us had his done at the same time and was spot on with what JGM had told him too.

I am about to have it rr'd though at JRM so I'll post up the details, whatever the results LOL. Again tho, it seems RR's differ from one place to another aswell.
Fingers crossed it does produce the same results mate because for those mods they are impressive. I would certainly be recommending JGM for maps if they are able to produce results like that on those mods.
Old 22 July 2010, 05:16 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not on the hawkeye Sti it doesn't.
Old 22 July 2010, 05:28 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Fingers crossed it does produce the same results mate because for those mods they are impressive. I would certainly be recommending JGM for maps if they are able to produce results like that on those mods.

It will be interesting to see where it is now. The main point of it though is the way the car drives compared to the pre map, so getting back to the OP question, get it done!. There are several well repected mappers on here including JGM, Race dynamix, Andy Forrest etc. Just do a search. What ever happens you will definately see a healthy inprovement on your existing setup
Old 22 July 2010, 06:20 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

Couple of the RB320 guys are seeing 360 - 370bhp & 400lbs from a from a sports cat & re-map.
Old 22 July 2010, 07:09 PM
scoobydude87
Scooby Regular

JGM mapped my mates and my car yesterday hes got a 07 sti limited usual mods sports cat exhaust and panel filter it made 385bhp and 410lb and my 04 sti made 328bhp and 327lb, so you can get very decent power out of the hawkeye without to many mods. JGM is definately the man to use. does quality safe maps and more importantly is always there after youve had it done if you ever need any help or advice
big thanks to simon
Old 22 July 2010, 07:23 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

So, 06 STi with Milltek full system with sports cat and Andy F remap, Walbro fitted. Should that make 360/390?
Old 22 July 2010, 08:36 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IggyRB320
Couple of the RB320 guys are seeing 360 - 370bhp & 400lbs from a from a sports cat & re-map.
What's the RB320's spec in terms of engine, turbo and exhaust in comparison with the std 2.5 STi?
Old 22 July 2010, 08:44 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

My old 06 STi Spec D had a STi panel filter, colder plugs and a decat. With a remap from Andy F it made 360bhp/390LbFt. That figure was from a road map, never went near a RR.

Last edited by Mikkel; 22 July 2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 22 July 2010, 08:50 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi Mikkel,

I can remember asking you about your old Spec D a year ago or so. You had just outdragged your mate in his Evo 360!

Trying to work out how much you lose by the sports cat rather than the full decat on that car. Maybe 10bhp?
Old 22 July 2010, 09:11 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DP decat or leave standard IMHO, Hawkeye DP's are pretty good and marginally more restrictive than your average sports cat. FWIW PPP does decat the second pipe, the resonator or silencer is in the main centre pipe which remains.

If I were doing it again I'd decat the second pipe, straight through centre pipe for noise and better rev feel, panel filter, pump, 3 port, uprated service items, and that's about it. I defy anyone not to get 335/350+ on this.

Quick Reply: Advice on mild tune to 07 Sti