Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWBIE, WHY ARE THESE CARS SUCH AS PAIN YET WE LOVE EM ??

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2010, 05:46 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE, WHY ARE THESE CARS SUCH AS PAIN YET WE LOVE EM ??

Since buying the car I`ve had to change the **** chrome bk racing wheels some old bloke put on the car to the orig wrx wheel, had them powder coated and the 2 front ones cracked(so had to buy 2 more wheels and have them coated) I`ve also had to fit new front & rear drop links recently and while doing that notice the n/s/r shocker leaking so new shox needed at some point (not cheap). Then TODAY notice a lil squeaking noise come from the rear to find the brackets on the back box(stainles steel) have best part of come off !!!!!!

God dammmmmmm I love the car but why O why cant it just be good to me for at least a month with out needing some type of attention its worst then my kid,bird and dog put together aggggggg

BUT I STILL LOVE IT !!!!!
I MUST BE A FOOL.
Old 21 July 2010, 05:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Know how you feel. Mine went bang in France last year, no foreign "get-you-home", (wife's idea of saving money), so it cost me best part of £700 to get it off the motorway and to Dover, and a LOT of money to get it rebuilt.

Still love it though.

Now ask me if I'll ever TRUST it again?........... Or drive without one eye on the Knocklink and gauges?
Old 21 July 2010, 06:07 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Know how you feel. Mine went bang in France last year, no foreign "get-you-home", (wife's idea of saving money), so it cost me best part of £700 to get it off the motorway and to Dover, and a LOT of money to get it rebuilt.

Still love it though.

Now ask me if I'll ever TRUST it again?........... Or drive without one eye on the Knocklink and gauges?

Havent even had chance to any upgrade sine the purchase and by the way things are going I neva will have lol

Bloke that looked at exhaust said not to bother mapping it as it will only go wrong more offen, Is that the case or is he chatting **** ?
Old 21 July 2010, 06:13 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

i know what you mean about having no money for modding, i've had two in just over a year now and they have both given me trouble every month, but then theres one day where the car will work beautifully and thats when you realise why you've got them.
Old 21 July 2010, 06:26 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

I owned 2 Impreza's over a 5 year period and only replaced tyres, pads and full service costs. Other than that I paid for no repairs at all!

IMO it all about buying the right car and not a modified skip! I would never buy a car someone else had tinkered with as you have no idea how much mopping up you will be doing during your ownership.
Old 21 July 2010, 06:31 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nathanb
I owned 2 Impreza's over a 5 year period and only replaced tyres, pads and full service costs. Other than that I paid for no repairs at all!

IMO it all about buying the right car and not a modified skip! I would never buy a car someone else had tinkered with as you have no idea how much mopping up you will be doing during your ownership.
Only thing done on mine was the wheels had been changed to these awfull chrome wheels but other than that I think its been left alone but I`ll neva know if it has or not, Unless you know who bought it from the dealer there is always going to be some kind of risk buying a second hand car even id fsh and every service stamp. PPL dont buy these cars to go to church in they buy em to DRIVE so I think a lil luck is involed with any purchase of a second hand car. Saying that I wouldnt change mine for anything well that is unless the bloke down the road wants to swap me for that RS4 he`s got parked outside lol
Old 21 July 2010, 06:41 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I've had my Scoob for 4 yrs and replaced only a radiator other than routine maintenance.

Erm, well, ok, I did also peruade the gearbox to implode, but that was my own fault for modding it!

Trending Topics

Old 21 July 2010, 06:49 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
I've had my Scoob for 4 yrs and replaced only a radiator other than routine maintenance.

Erm, well, ok, I did also peruade the gearbox to implode, but that was my own fault for modding it!
I must say that the things that have gone wrong are down to just wear and tear (its seven years old )so in all yes it is just general maintenance but It just gets on mi tyts thats all lol

I must have just been lucky with other cars.
Old 21 July 2010, 06:58 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

So you have absolutely nothing to complain about really (although I'm not sure the issues you mentioned in the OP can be classed as wear and tear).
You have to maintain wear and tear on every single car on the planet!

I'm a firm believer that if you have to modify a car, within reason, you should have bought the car you really wanted in the 1st place. i.e Why buy a WRX and try modify to perform like and STI.

That's just an example and I'm not comparing it to your situation at all. I just wonder why people spend thousands to 'upgrade' the car only to spend thousands more to repair it when the car cant take the mods and fails!!

Its up to the owner I guess but I usually buy cars I'm happy with and leave well alone.
Old 21 July 2010, 06:59 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

just got back into owning another scoob as i mist my other sooooo much, but yep i have issue after issue with it!
Only had it 2 weeks & have a massive list of things to do & fix/replace.
coilk packs x 4 required
z4 ecu needs a scoobychip to run uk fuel to save worrying about octane booster etc
front discs & pads are soon to be required
aircon rad needs replacing
2 rear tyres needed
aircon adjuster bearing needs replacing
oh & fith gear syncrho has reared its ugly head !!
then theres the stuff to make her look nice & to keep an eye on things like knock link & boost gauge & afr gauge, the lightweight pulleys, new belts & cambelt etc...

but in the two weeks ive owned i have....
2 front tyres
rear discs & pads
full service
stripped interior down to shell, cleaned & polished shell, put down good stereo wiring & removed all old dodgy stereo equipment, vaxed all carpets & seats, cleaned roof lining & all plastics - was owned by a smoker so it stnk of stale **** as it never got a good cleaning (that i could tell)
Greased all window mechs & locks
started to clean engine bay aswell.
just had to order a replacement lock set due to the ignition barrel keeping hold of my key

so looks grim at the moment but i love having me scoob back!!! yep i think we are mad

Last edited by timmyajmy93wrx; 21 July 2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 21 July 2010, 07:17 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

So you have absolutely nothing to complain about really (although I'm not sure the issues you mentioned in the OP can be classed as wear and tear).
You have to maintain wear and tear on every single car on the planet!

I'm a firm believer that if you have to modify a car, within reason, you should have bought the car you really wanted in the 1st place. i.e Why buy a WRX and try modify to perform like and STI.

That's just an example and I'm not comparing it to your situation at all. I just wonder why people spend thousands to 'upgrade' the car only to spend thousands more to repair it when the car cant take the mods and fails!!

Its up to the owner I guess but I usually buy cars I'm happy with and leave well alone.
I have to agree mostly with what you have put but I didnt by a wrx and have any intention of doing any mods really just exhaust to get the real noise of that engine.

THEN I JOINED SN, and everything changed. I wasnt fully aware of the scoob world and what can be done at quite reasonable prices for quite good gains in power.

I would have bought a STI but they were out of my price range and ins was lil more than I wanted to pay. But While I own it I may aswell get the best out of it hadnt I with out going silly. Remap,suspension and uprate brakes Jobs a gud un.

Out of interest as I`m still new to SN what is it you drive ? Have you modded at all or just kept standard ?
Old 21 July 2010, 07:18 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had mine 4 years and the only things that have went wrong are front driveshafts and rear shocks. And it's been modified for the last 2 years.
Old 21 July 2010, 07:19 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmyajmy93wrx
just got back into owning another scoob as i mist my other sooooo much, but yep i have issue after issue with it!
Only had it 2 weeks & have a massive list of things to do & fix/replace.
coilk packs x 4 required
z4 ecu needs a scoobychip to run uk fuel to save worrying about octane booster etc
front discs & pads are soon to be required
aircon rad needs replacing
2 rear tyres needed
aircon adjuster bearing needs replacing
oh & fith gear syncrho has reared its ugly head !!
then theres the stuff to make her look nice & to keep an eye on things like knock link & boost gauge & afr gauge, the lightweight pulleys, new belts & cambelt etc...

but in the two weeks ive owned i have....
2 front tyres
rear discs & pads
full service
stripped interior down to shell, cleaned & polished shell, put down good stereo wiring & removed all old dodgy stereo equipment, vaxed all carpets & seats, cleaned roof lining & all plastics - was owned by a smoker so it stnk of stale **** as it never got a good cleaning (that i could tell)
Greased all window mechs & locks
started to clean engine bay aswell.
just had to order a replacement lock set due to the ignition barrel keeping hold of my key

so looks grim at the moment but i love having me scoob back!!! yep i think we are mad

In that case I feel quite lucky

Good luck with ur project and pic when its done would be good to seen, happy fixing and cleaning
Old 21 July 2010, 07:24 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

I now have a Focus ST now, but before that I owned a bugeye WRX and a Blob WRX. Both had cosmetic mods but no engine mods. IMO thats why I had no bother with them. Dont get me wrong mate I'm not against modding just puzzles me why folks spend a lot of money to gain power then kill the car.

My old ones below,

Old 21 July 2010, 07:28 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

yeh you should feel good! i got mine cheap so i knew most things would need to be done, which i dont mind doing over time, its just hard to get going when so many things can cost alot of money & thats before making/putting it how you want it to run & look!

oh & i need another cat mine is blowing but it is wrapped & sorted for now but would like to get a sports cat, again though its costs
but i dont mind its a v-ltd & its nice to get her looking & running as well as can be
Old 21 July 2010, 07:38 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobywrxwagon
In that case I feel quite lucky

Good luck with ur project and pic when its done would be good to seen, happy fixing and cleaning
im keeping mine standard dont want to have engines rebuilt at 2.5k been there 3 times years ago with a cossie i wont be mapping mine
Old 21 July 2010, 07:46 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Always said you are a wise man Nick!

You coming on the North Wales Run in 2 weeks?
Old 21 July 2010, 07:49 PM
Will
BANNED

Nick's coming to North Wales??

Old 21 July 2010, 07:50 PM
Will
BANNED

P.S. scoobywrxwagon, welcome mate.
Old 21 July 2010, 08:00 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

I now have a Focus ST now, but before that I owned a bugeye WRX and a Blob WRX. Both had cosmetic mods but no engine mods. IMO thats why I had no bother with them. Dont get me wrong mate I'm not against modding just puzzles me why folks spend a lot of money to gain power then kill the car.

My old ones below,

Nice clean cars them fella look very well looked after I must say

Youve got me thinking about mapping it now, a few of the mappers on here seem quite confident it wont go bang unless u try pushing em too hard and squeezing too much bhp out of em, Im sure mapping it to about 260bhp will be safe enough ?? I dont wanna go silly just want that bit extra now ive had it a while.

Thanks for your thoughts though its interesting to see how others think about the whole modding issue.
Old 21 July 2010, 08:01 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I bought my bugeye new 8 1/2 years ago. since then I have uprated it on Suspension, Engine and doing the brakes next month. Always done as a part needs or shows signs of needing replacing. Currently my car is on 100K miles on the original engine and giving a enjoyable 400+ bhp. I think a lot of people rush in to doing things without getting advice. I always discuss things with the guy who maps mine and have always come up trumps.
Old 21 July 2010, 08:08 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
I bought my bugeye new 8 1/2 years ago. since then I have uprated it on Suspension, Engine and doing the brakes next month. Always done as a part needs or shows signs of needing replacing. Currently my car is on 100K miles on the original engine and giving a enjoyable 400+ bhp. I think a lot of people rush in to doing things without getting advice. I always discuss things with the guy who maps mine and have always come up trumps.

Sounds like a nice ride fella, I dont wanna go that far at the min lol but i understand modding is quite addictive and there is neva enough power. I only wanna put STI suspension on change up pipe and remap nothing silly. what type of power is ok and not dangerous with most things standard ? Who mapped urs and do you know of anyone in the Leeds area that does ot or who I can have a chat with ?
Old 21 July 2010, 08:10 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

with a remap you can get the mapper to tune the maps so they are safe but with a little bit more grunt, you don't have to go stupid with it to realise the difference you get.
Old 21 July 2010, 08:12 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_impreza
Nick's coming to North Wales??

been to yours already
Old 21 July 2010, 08:16 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Always said you are a wise man Nick!

You coming on the North Wales Run in 2 weeks?
no nathan mate got a overdue service on my car to get done plus upipe brakes hows the focus
Old 21 July 2010, 08:19 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Going really well cheers mate. I love it! Shame you cant make it mate
Old 21 July 2010, 08:20 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by belliott69
with a remap you can get the mapper to tune the maps so they are safe but with a little bit more grunt, you don't have to go stupid with it to realise the difference you get.

Do any of these guys wk near to or close to Leeds,JGM
Dynamix or Andy Forest ??

If not any ideas of anyone ?

Cheers
Old 21 July 2010, 08:27 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobywrxwagon
Do any of these guys wk near to or close to Leeds,JGM
Dynamix or Andy Forest ??

If not any ideas of anyone ?

Cheers
they will come to you
Old 21 July 2010, 08:35 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
they will come to you
REALLY

Hmmmmm thats food for thought now
Old 21 July 2010, 08:37 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

You've gone and dont it now

Quick Reply: NEWBIE, WHY ARE THESE CARS SUCH AS PAIN YET WE LOVE EM ??