Sponsored by:

I plead scooby ignorance!

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2001, 09:09 PM
Ross Taylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Err...I've a feeling I need some help before I jump in with both feet as usual...

I've flogged my M100 Lotus Elan SE Turbo, and am after something with a little more horsepower...A Scooby certainly fits the bill, but I find the choice of models bewildering to say the least...(!)

Basically what should I be looking for on a budget of £12k -ish? I'm kinda figuring an average miles, '97/'98 "R" plate UK car; Am I way offa the mark? Help!

Old 09 March 2001, 09:23 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Smile

You're mostly right. £12k would probably get you a private sale MY97 or a high mileage MY98. I'm biased because I own a MY98, but I recommend getting the newer car because the interior is much better than the MY97.

Sorry if this upsets people but I would avoid anything before 97 since these cars had very bland interior (Toyota Carina style seats) and too much turbo lag - still very fast however (I used to have a MY95).

Don't buy from a dealer unless you like throwing money away.

D.
Old 09 March 2001, 09:27 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

You could quite easily get a scooby for that money.

Lots of ways to do it;
If you want to get from a dealer (I did, though many don't) then try
Old 09 March 2001, 09:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97/98 R plate for about £14K (UK model)

Go 'grey import' and you'll get more for your money (on the face of it) check histories (very difficult unless you speak Japanese) more expensive on insurance - more expensive on petrol - more likley to have been given a good thrashing (not always bad!) - more likley to be modified and are not worth as much as UK cars come re-sale time (but they are cheaper in the first place!)

You pays your money - the safe bet is always a clean, straight, unmodified UK spec car, one 'mature' owner maybe?

I will get fried now - but the Import route may be the one for you? if you want to live dangerously!!

Now this will get me flamed through to my bones - but - I wouldnt (personally) want to buy a track raced car (unless it was very cheap indeed) ooooooooooo asbestos jacket on, leggings, gieger counter at the ready

Pete

[This message has been edited by pslewis (edited 09 March 2001).]
Old 09 March 2001, 09:53 PM
Ross Taylor
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Guys!

Might have to raid my piggy bank...I've a feeling that an extra 2-3k could make a hellofva difference in this price bracket...

Interestingly I called about a 97 "P" Catalunya the other week...Advertised at £12000 ono...Was sold by the time I rang, but spoke to the chaps father ,who informed me that it was a) Mint, b) Had 40k miles on it....and c) Went for £10100!