Sponsored by:

ASDA oil £10 for 5 litres

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2010, 12:15 AM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASDA oil £10 for 5 litres

just noticed Asda doing 5/40 fully synthetic for £10 - reduced from £18 - must be a bargain. I've used what looks like the same oil from Halfords and it's never been less than about £25!
Old 17 July 2010, 12:31 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

and you'd put that in your Impreza!?
Old 17 July 2010, 12:36 AM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would be nice to find out the oils specs, and get oil man on here to see what he says bout it.

just because its not a in the brand name, doesnt all ways mean its bad
Old 17 July 2010, 12:48 AM
karl1926
Scooby Newbie

your crazy to use that.......
Old 17 July 2010, 01:16 AM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

sorry - not crazy - don't fall into the trap of thinking that low price = low quality and high price = high quality! The oil spec exceeds the manufacturer recommendation for my unmodified WRX so no probs thanks
Old 17 July 2010, 05:05 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaOne
would be nice to find out the oils specs, and get oil man on here to see what he says bout it.

just because its not a in the brand name, doesnt all ways mean its bad
+1
Old 17 July 2010, 09:36 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Not quite on topic but I heard a story recently of a guy with a Ferrari and a Scoob. Apparently to save money he took the used oil from his Ferrari and put it in the Scoob. Serious penny pinching and guess what - the Scoob engine died.
Old 17 July 2010, 09:39 AM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Just the usual oil snobbery.
Old 17 July 2010, 11:22 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tim's wrx
just noticed Asda doing 5/40 fully synthetic for £10 - reduced from £18 - must be a bargain. I've used what looks like the same oil from Halfords and it's never been less than about £25!
If its any good then thats a crazy bargain! Somehow I can't see Oilman recomending it though.
Old 17 July 2010, 11:52 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

makes me laugh how people discount it because its cheap!! As long as it meets or exceeds your manufacturers requirements then it is fine especially if you do regular oil changes.
The better think with the halfords stuff is you usually get a free set of pro screwdrivers!!! I have about 5 sets now
Old 17 July 2010, 11:58 AM
Oilburner
Scooby Regular

I use the Halfords stuff but because I buy it with my trade card I don't get the screwdrivers!
Old 17 July 2010, 11:58 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Where's PSL's input on this?

JohnD
Old 17 July 2010, 11:59 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Oilburner
I use the Halfords stuff but because I buy it with my trade card I don't get the screwdrivers!
do you want to buy a set
Old 17 July 2010, 12:02 PM
scoobygreg
Scooby Regular

same old story probably just as good an oil in a different drum.

boots make tooth paste , exactly the same stuff goes in different pakaging, they do strepsiles , go to wilkos and buy thier version at half the price, you guessed it they are the same product

same wth bread , etc
Old 17 July 2010, 12:03 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Never did my current car, or my old scooby any harm.....
Although it is changed regular (well the scooby was, the MG just gets its ******* kicked in)
Old 17 July 2010, 12:43 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I would want to check to make sure that it equals or exceeds the manufacturers specification (it should state this either on the container or on the car manufacturers/oil producers website), as long as that is the case then it should be fine to use.

Having said that I use Mobil Syn S 5w/40 engine oil as I know and trust the brand and have used it before as have many other people that I know.

I ordered some recently from Opie Oils 1 x 4 litres and 1 x 1 litre and it came to £34.00, so I spoke to some other owners and I ended up ordering 15 litres as it was such a good price. This included the members discount plus the free delivery offer that they are running at the moment.

Don't worry as well as I am sure Mr Lewis will be along at some point to tell us all that we should be using Mazola cooking oil as it's even cheaper.

I wonder if he is using reprocessed cooking oil to fuel his Civic diesel?
Old 17 July 2010, 02:30 PM
winker
Scooby Regular

i have been using unipart oil now for 10 yrs or more in my stis without a problem just got another 5 litres 10.90p .just read the specs on the side of the case and they exceed manufactors but if you guys want to put in £30/40 oil thats your choice.
Old 17 July 2010, 04:18 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Don't worry as well as I am sure Mr Lewis will be along at some point to tell us all that we should be using Mazola cooking oil as it's even cheaper.

I wonder if he is using reprocessed cooking oil to fuel his Civic diesel?
He could use the same stuff in the tank as well as the sump!

JohnD
Old 17 July 2010, 04:49 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

only ester based oil for me.

as for the asda oil, it would be interesting to see how quickly it shears down from a 40 to god knows what. My guess is not long.

(nicked from t'internet) v

Not all synthetic oils are equal. Some give better protection and last longer than others, depending on whether they're formulated with Ester or PolyAlphaOlefin (PAO) stock. Synthetic oils made from the ester class are much more expensive, but are more durable and hold up under hotter temperatures.
Synthetic oils have different base stocks, which comprise some 90% of the oil. The base stock is the actual lubricant The other 10% or so is the additive package. The relative ability of oils to lubricate is determined by the components of the base stock. There are two principal classes of base stocks used in real synthetic oils: synthesized hydrocarbons (PAOs) and organic esters.

PAOs
The base stock materials used today many popular synthetic oils are made of carbon and hydrogen molecules. These
are synthesized from ethylene gas molecules into PolyAlphaOleflns (PAO). Almost all the synthetic oils sold in the stores are made with PAO base stocks. PAOs provide better viscosity characteristics, are more resistant to oxidation and have much better low operating properties than petroleum oils. PAOs are cheaper synthetic oil base stocks, and aren't as durable as the ester class of synthetic oils. Some of the popular brands of PAO oils include Amsoil and Mobil-1.
These are known as a Group IV oil.
ESTERS (Polyolesters)
Organic esters are made by reacting certain acids with alcohols, forming acid esters. There are alcohol diesters and
Polyol esters. This process uses expensive materials and results in lubricants that cost many times more than PAOs.
Only esters are durable enough to withstand the rigors of jet engine operation and they are used in racing and high performance cars. These oils can cost $8 dollars or more a quart. Redline is an example of an ester synthetic oil.
These are known as a Group V oil.
Hydrocracked (sometimes called Hydrowax)These are petroleum oils that have been hydroisomerized, as it is commonly called. The most stringent level of petroleum oil refining. Much of the paraffin and impurities have been removed and its performance on any number of industry tests is substantially better than it's group two cousins (the regular oil petroleum oil used in automobiles).
Although it is not made from a synthesized, engineered molecule and as such is not a true synthetic oil, it does offer a portion of the benefits you would expect from a true synthetic and in fact is usually sold and marketed as a 100% synthetic product. Hydrowaxes are very cheap to produce, even cheaper than olefins, making them the cheapest of all the synthetics. As they are formulated from crude oil base stocks they aren't a true synthetic. These are known as a Group III oil. Castrol Syntec is known for using this method.
Quality
Premium quality synthetics will blend more than one "species" of PAO and/or will blend these PAO basestocks with a certain amount of diester or polyolester in order to create a basestock which combines all of the relative benefits of these different basestocks.
This requires a great deal of experience and expertise. As a result, such basestock blending is rare within the synthetic lubricants industry and only done by very experienced companies. In addition, although such blending creates extremely high quality synthetic oils, they don't come cheap.
Old 17 July 2010, 04:53 PM
Oilburner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
do you want to buy a set
Old 17 July 2010, 08:33 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thing is,generally you do get what you pay for

£1 pizza`s from asda, Cack
18p own brand crisps,cack
cheap baked beans,cack
£2 set of screwdrivers from Lidl, cack
and so on
Old 17 July 2010, 08:38 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig

cheap baked beans,cack
and so on
Your wrong,all baked beans taste the same and whats wrong with my screwdrivers from Lidl???
Old 17 July 2010, 08:41 PM
P4UL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig

cheap baked beans,cack
and so on
Tesco 99 or V power?

Supermarket or well recognised oil company?

Just because its cheaper does not always means its not as good, sometimes pay for the label.
Above not a great example as they are about the same price
Old 17 July 2010, 09:00 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no frills baked beans,if you prefer those over heinz and your not allowed to add your own tomato sauce, you have smoked too many ****

Lidl screwdriver used on proper jobs soon round off or snap

tesco fuel is crap,vpower all day long ( and tesco is dearer than v power,well,it is here anyway)

Dont get me wrong,im all for cheapness, live by it,but i do notice a difference when i pay cheaper,for anything
Old 18 July 2010, 04:12 PM
zayd
Scooby Regular

Ok people.

I used to work for an oil blending company as a Lab Assistant. The same base oil would be used by numerous big companies and all they would do is to change viscosities and such.

So don't always be fooled by the high prices as I've been there, where it all begins as the same stuff.
Old 18 July 2010, 04:22 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

i use shell v power and tesco 99, both on my car perform equally. as for the you get what you pay for argument, well, i use Shell Helix plus 10-40w, in the Shell garage its £26 something for 5l. from another supplier i know of locally, the same stuff is £19.60!!, should i still buy it from the shell garage? lol.