Am I completely mental?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2010, 12:32 PM
Leaney-g
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I completely mental?

I have become obsessed with my 53 WRX.

When I take my car to the supermarket, I have to park it at the back of the car park in fear that someone will knock it with their door.
In fact I won't park the car anywhere near someone else's as people don't take care around other peoples motors.

A deep scratch appeared on my wing a month ago from someone walking past past it or simply keying it which hasn't helped.

I paid to have the wing re-spayed along with the front bumper as there were a few stone chips on it. Now the car is perfect, I'm getting a bit obsessed in keeping that way.

I know I probably am going too far in connstantly worrying about it and it's doing my head in that it's actually causing me stress.

I'm sure some of you will say I'm sad and I'm sure you'll be right.

But are there others out there who get p!ssed off by other people not taking care?
Old 13 July 2010, 12:47 PM
DEANO1988
Scooby Regular

its well annoying i always park out the way or in the family section because the bay's are massive
Old 13 July 2010, 12:48 PM
Ricerocket0_1
Scooby Regular

What's wrong with looking after your pride & joy? I also park at the back of car parks for those very reason's you mention. Don't worry about it! The more car park ding's you get, the less the car's worth. Keep smiling
Old 13 July 2010, 12:52 PM
badman1972
Scooby Regular

If that was obsessive, then I am too
Old 13 July 2010, 12:56 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

perfectly normal and this is coming from someone who frequented the car care section
Old 13 July 2010, 12:57 PM
Leaney-g
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DEANO1988
its well annoying i always park out the way or in the family section because the bay's are massive

I've tried this mate. But as I don't have kids, I get evil looking glares from the mothers who I then think might 'accidently' let a trolley roll in to my car.
Old 13 July 2010, 01:00 PM
Mr. WRX
Scooby Regular

My GF always goes on at me ... 'why have you parked so far away'
Old 13 July 2010, 01:03 PM
Leaney-g
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr. WRX
My GF always goes on at me ... 'why have you parked so far away'
Mine says the exact same thing.

She's ok when she wants to go for a nice romantic walk whenever she fancies. But ask her to walk 100 metres from the car and all hell breaks loose.
Old 13 July 2010, 01:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you park miles away some **** always parks next to you - just to pi55 you off!!

That's what happens to me!

It's called 'Social Parking' .... quite why some need to do it annoys the hell out of me!
Old 13 July 2010, 01:12 PM
DEANO1988
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leaney-g
I've tried this mate. But as I don't have kids, I get evil looking glares from the mothers who I then think might 'accidently' let a trolley roll in to my car.
good point, when you park out the way though 9 times out of 10 you come back n your surrounded by cars. if i have to park near someone i try n find a decent car to park next to.
Old 13 July 2010, 01:50 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Always spend about 5-10 minutes parking, looking for the prime spot. Ideally on the end of a bay (so only the chance of one side getting knocked), away from any sharp turns (dozy people crunching your car when they turn), and preferably next to a newish looking car that's been taken care of (definitely no where near anything with rust/scratches on it already).

Oh, and also never, ever near a trolly park.

Think I'm a bit mental too.
Old 13 July 2010, 02:07 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It does seem obsessive, and impractical, but its your choice.
My Scoob is pretty much an old banger now, but I still don't like it getting worse.

So things to look out for are:

End parking spaces: at least only one side can get damaged, and you can park more over the side where there is a bush/kerb etc.

Avoid parking next to cars with Baby on Board stickers/Car seats. Especially 3 door versions. You find a its a mother and kid on her own, and they are opening the door as wide as possible to get in.

Try not to park next to fat people. Not sure what the best way is, but if you take a look at the drivers seat of there car, and can still see the imprint of a huge **** crack, its not a good sign. Again, its a case of opening the door super wide.

Ok the last one was a bit of a joke, because it would require you to park up, and then check the seat and then re-park accordingly.

Not sure if this would help anyone out, because as mentioned, I have a bit of an old banger now. So I can't really tell if its got worse or not.
Old 13 July 2010, 02:36 PM
stewart1397
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

just take up 2 spaces when parking,unless it pay and display.
Old 13 July 2010, 02:52 PM
sharpy2010
Scooby Regular

I used to think this way too. I've got what I consider to be a lovely car now, but I've got it with the attitude that probably someone will get jealous and key it, or it will get a dent, or a scrape, at some point.

That way, when it does happen, I won't be as disappointed.

To me, its just a way of getting from A to B.
Old 13 July 2010, 04:08 PM
Chris 'n' Jen
Scooby Regular

Another one for parking out the way. No one has any respect for anyone else’s property.

Don’t get me started on footballs!!
Old 13 July 2010, 04:31 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Pretty well the last journey I ever made in my 22B was to fill her up with Optimax prior to the new owner coming to pay for and collect it. I stupidly agreed to pick something up for our tea from our local Lidl on the way.

It wasn't that busy and I parked far from the entrance in a completely empty row of spaces. I was only in the shop 5 minutes and was staggered to see that some **** in a rusty old filthy ISUZU 4x4 had parked not just next to my car, but tight up to it. My heart sank and low and behold there was a nice new paint chip on my passenger door where the clumsy w@nker had clambered out of his sh!tbucket. It wasn't that obvious to anybody else, but was f*cking annoying to me, as the car was pretty much blemish-free up until that point.

Anyway it made no difference in the end and the car was sold without comment.
Old 13 July 2010, 07:02 PM
scixer6r
Scooby Regular

Your not mad just normal,i allways try & take two spaces in a carpark if there is not mother & child bays,why is it when you get back to your pride & joy the biggest pile of sh*t has pulled up next to yours when they could have parked anywhere.All these precautions still havent prevented some ars*hole leaving 3 minor door dings though.
Old 13 July 2010, 07:07 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DEANO1988
I hope you have kids.
Old 13 July 2010, 07:18 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sharpy2010
I used to think this way too. I've got what I consider to be a lovely car now, but I've got it with the attitude that probably someone will get jealous and key it, or it will get a dent, or a scrape, at some point.

That way, when it does happen, I won't be as disappointed.

To me, its just a way of getting from A to B.
That's not the spirit!

I started getting annoyed at imperfections but I sorted myself out, you got to realise the cars going to get damaged one way or another, no point getting bumpers resprayed because you’ll get stone chips straight away when back on the road, hell you could get stone chips trailering it to shows and not actually driving it. Going on track you’ll get stone chips. Unless it's a big thing like a dent or a really noticeable scratch you’re better off saving money and leaving it and learning to live with it!

Thanks
Sam

Old 13 July 2010, 07:22 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the problem with possessions - is that, if you are not careful they end up owning you and not the other way round
Old 13 July 2010, 08:06 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
the problem with possessions - is that, if you are not careful they end up owning you and not the other way round
TRUE THAT
Old 13 July 2010, 08:45 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leaney-g
I have become obsessed with my 53 WRX.

When I take my car to the supermarket, I have to park it at the back of the car park in fear that someone will knock it with their door.
In fact I won't park the car anywhere near someone else's as people don't take care around other peoples motors.

A deep scratch appeared on my wing a month ago from someone walking past past it or simply keying it which hasn't helped.

I paid to have the wing re-spayed along with the front bumper as there were a few stone chips on it. Now the car is perfect, I'm getting a bit obsessed in keeping that way.

I know I probably am going too far in connstantly worrying about it and it's doing my head in that it's actually causing me stress.

I'm sure some of you will say I'm sad and I'm sure you'll be right.

But are there others out there who get p!ssed off by other people not taking care?
Yes, I am with you all the way. I park as far away as possible and obsessive it maybe, but I have nad no damage to the car as yet so wil keep doing it. Most people don't give a damn around other people's property.
Old 13 July 2010, 11:07 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

I am obsessed about mine too lol when i go shopping i always park in the child spots also and i even move trolleys that are surrounding my car so they dont roll into my car and i park miles away from other cars and even get my work colleagues to park either side of mine at work
Old 14 July 2010, 07:12 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I use the wifes Punto for shopping trips.
Old 14 July 2010, 07:41 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I park away from other people when driving the scoob. I use my sh1tbox mondeo most of the time & don't care about that, its nice to have a car that I don't worry about.
Old 14 July 2010, 10:12 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
If you park miles away some **** always parks next to you - just to pi55 you off!!

That's what happens to me!

It's called 'Social Parking' .... quite why some need to do it annoys the hell out of me!
Never a truer word said.. Most people who go to Supermarkets etc are numpties with no respect for anyone elses cars.