Sponsored by:

radiator coolant/antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2010, 12:53 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator coolant/antifreeze

hello ive had my impreza now for about 3 weeks and have just come to my first problem, my radiator has split on the plastic edge so ive got to go and replace it. ive had a couple of quotes and the best price for a new one is £70.50 which i didnt think was too bad. just wanted to know if there is any special antifreeze/coolant that has to go in? its a 95 classic thanks for your help.
Old 07 July 2010, 01:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hello mate, paid £60 inc VAT for mine, from a local guy, it's identical to the one that I took off.
Anti-freeze: I was advised to use the pink stuff, it's by CarPlan and has the necessary anti-corrosion additives. About £8 for 2.5 litres, dilute 50/50.

When removing the rad, you'll probably shear off at least ONE bolt holding the fan, and other pipes. Don't worry, the new rad comes with fresh threaded nuts captive, use stainless bolts from Screwfix, M6 x 16 or 20mm, and some grease on them.

I also repainted the fan support, the top and bottom rad supports, (which come off the new rad with 4 bolts, 2 top, 2 bottom, also replace with stainless), some of the pipework, and the two top brackets, with black Hammerite smooth, two coats.

You might be advised to replace your top hose too. I didn't and then had to a week later £26 from a dealer, £5 from a factor. I used new, quality jubilee clips too.

Editted to say: this thread might come in handy too: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-tomorrow.html

One bit of advice the rad guy gave me: when replacing the small pipe on the rad next to the top hose, be VERY careful not to strain the plastic pipe it attaches to on the rad, it breaks off VERY easily and that's ANOTHER new rad.

Last edited by alcazar; 07 July 2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07 July 2010, 03:53 PM
DEANO1988
Scooby Regular

try ebay i got mine of there and its been spot on, think i paid £52. im not sure about anitfreeze/coolant, when i went to romac the bloke asked me what colour i wanted i was abit confused because there are different colours apparently i just thought you mix antifreeze (which was pink in my case) with water.

Last edited by DEANO1988; 07 July 2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07 July 2010, 04:03 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Hello mate, paid £60 inc VAT for mine, from a local guy, it's identical to the one that I took off.
Anti-freeze: I was advised to use the pink stuff, it's by CarPlan and has the necessary anti-corrosion additives. About £8 for 2.5 litres, dilute 50/50.

When removing the rad, you'll probably shear off at least ONE bolt holding the fan, and other pipes. Don't worry, the new rad comes with fresh threaded nuts captive, use stainless bolts from Screwfix, M6 x 16 or 20mm, and some grease on them.

I also repainted the fan support, the top and bottom rad supports, (which come off the new rad with 4 bolts, 2 top, 2 bottom, also replace with stainless), some of the pipework, and the two top brackets, with black Hammerite smooth, two coats.

You might be advised to replace your top hose too. I didn't and then had to a week later £26 from a dealer, £5 from a factor. I used new, quality jubilee clips too.

Editted to say: this thread might come in handy too: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-tomorrow.html

One bit of advice the rad guy gave me: when replacing the small pipe on the rad next to the top hose, be VERY careful not to strain the plastic pipe it attaches to on the rad, it breaks off VERY easily and that's ANOTHER new rad.

thanks mate, the top rad hose has already been replaced with samco water set. i supose 70 quid aint that bad and when its done at least i shouldnt have to worrie again. will give it all a good clean up when its out as i done the rest of the engine bay when i got her. thanks
Old 07 July 2010, 04:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

No probs, the Hammerite is recommended on top and bottom as it stops it rusting again, mine was REALLY bad at the bottom, and stainless bolts, well........no-brainer if it's out.
Old 07 July 2010, 06:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at £50-£70 Rads. ..... Basically, cheap rubbish - you will revisit the Rad within 18 months!

I haggled with my local Motor Factors and got mine down to £100 - but it is a decent one will should last the remaining life of the car (and then I sold it! But at least the new owner got a decent Rad.) ...... it's really not worth skimping on.

A word of warning .... check carefully the top left hand rubber mount hole - there should be 2 large holes, sometimes they come with just one - and it's the wrong one! Check very carefully before signing for it!

Good luck, but pay proper money for a proper radiator!
Old 07 July 2010, 07:24 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I can get Subaru Rads in a Subaru Box for 92 inc vat, P&P is on top but is normally 6.95 to the UK.
Old 07 July 2010, 07:43 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the advice, the company im getting the rad from is reliable as they make there own and im buying direct from them. i used them a few months ago for my dads and was very please with customer service quality and price.
Old 07 July 2010, 09:19 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

you need the blue/green coolant not the pink.
Old 07 July 2010, 09:36 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

"you need the blue/green coolant not the pink."

It depends on the brand, but in most cases the orangey pink stuff with a 5-year lifespan will be the right one. The basic blue stuff with a 2 year lifespan should definitely not be used, but some brands (Subaru's own, and maybe Comma) have greenish stuff with a 3 year or longer lifespan, which is safe for alloy engines.
Old 07 July 2010, 09:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I looked at £50-£70 Rads. ..... Basically, cheap rubbish - you will revisit the Rad within 18 months!

I haggled with my local Motor Factors and got mine down to £100 - but it is a decent one will should last the remaining life of the car (and then I sold it! But at least the new owner got a decent Rad.) ...... it's really not worth skimping on.

A word of warning .... check carefully the top left hand rubber mount hole - there should be 2 large holes, sometimes they come with just one - and it's the wrong one! Check very carefully before signing for it!

Good luck, but pay proper money for a proper radiator!
Pete: the one I've put on is identical in every respect to the one I removed....and it lasted 12 years until I holed it accidentally.
Old 07 July 2010, 10:05 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
"you need the blue/green coolant not the pink."

It depends on the brand, but in most cases the orangey pink stuff with a 5-year lifespan will be the right one. The basic blue stuff with a 2 year lifespan should definitely not be used, but some brands (Subaru's own, and maybe Comma) have greenish stuff with a 3 year or longer lifespan, which is safe for alloy engines.
i was told by my local subaru garage to only use the green/blue coolant, is the comma pink ok then?

http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/298
Old 07 July 2010, 10:34 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

lots of views here, im going to drain the whole system and flush it through (only with water) and refill from empty so shouldnt need doing for a while again. Will probably go with the pink as this sounds the best option for me.
Old 07 July 2010, 11:44 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

i used a pink organic from halfords and it made a right mess, loads of slime and deposits. switched to comma blue non organic and all is well.
Old 08 July 2010, 10:45 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Mine was CarPlan pink, it seeems to work OK, and the stuff that WAS in it, put there by a respected engine builder, was pink.

But as I said, don't just go by colour: it's what's in it that matters. A decent a/f with corrosion inhibitors is what you want.
Old 08 July 2010, 11:37 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Some pink anti freeze has amino acids in them. CAREFULL!!!!!!
I have BMW coolant as i know its good quality that doesn't sludge or cause rubber reaction issues. Contains Ethane and has no nitrates in it.
Old 08 July 2010, 07:56 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

what is the actual spec needed for a classic in terms of antifreeze/coolant as the book only states ethylene glycol? most antifreeze i look at on internet dont mention this?
Old 08 July 2010, 08:04 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Nearly all of the "blue" antifreeze brands contain Ethylene Gloycol.
The ones which are Acid based, (mostly used in diesels) are the ones that are no good for the engine, or any rubber gaskets in the coolant system.
Old 08 July 2010, 09:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Checked mine this afto: contains Ethanediol, or ethylene glycol in old money
Old 10 July 2010, 06:11 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

to revive this thread, where did you get your rad from? i have been quoted silly prices of £260 locally for a 96 classic. I asked why they are so much & the standard response they give me is 'well its an expensive performance car ennit' - which translated into english means - 'we are raping you because of they car you own'.
So any help of cheap rad suppliers would be good. Just looked on the bay of e & i can get an alloy one for about £200! maybe i should get one of those?
Old 10 July 2010, 06:28 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by super_ted
to revive this thread, where did you get your rad from? i have been quoted silly prices of £260 locally for a 96 classic. I asked why they are so much & the standard response they give me is 'well its an expensive performance car ennit' - which translated into english means - 'we are raping you because of they car you own'.
So any help of cheap rad suppliers would be good. Just looked on the bay of e & i can get an alloy one for about £200! maybe i should get one of those?

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...-radiator.html
Old 10 July 2010, 08:20 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

give theses a try not sure about there delivery as i always collect
Old 10 July 2010, 08:28 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

cheers top shot, those look good!
Old 10 July 2010, 09:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA...item45f2e0ee68
Old 10 July 2010, 09:26 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

try these too 40p cheaper lol http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 10 July 2010, 09:30 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by super_ted
cheers top shot, those look good!
no worries, its next on my list to buy
Old 10 July 2010, 09:37 PM
firebug
Scooby Regular

i paid £130 for mine from low kost motor spares. . . i couldnt tell where the leak was coming from for a few months so when i had it serviced at subaru they told me id need a new water pump and seals and it would be £500... i said id get back to them when i had the cash... id notice a slight crack in the radiator and week later the radiator split open, luckily just outside my house. that was over 3years ago... no pump needed. . never been back to subaru since. . . yea im still pissed with them!
Old 11 July 2010, 12:32 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Silkolene Pro Cool is in my system. My 03 rad was well into 3 figures when I had mine changed as the top corner was leaking. The annoying thing was not seeing it before the bloody warranty ran out! Lol
Old 11 July 2010, 09:30 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Antifreeze, a bit like how do i do an oil change on a subaru lark LOL

It depends on the yr of the car,i use this, on my 95 wrx,been fine for the 4 yrs so far (2 changes)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_229902

but if you have a newer car then the other stuff to use is

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_229902