Super Unleaded: Duty reduction

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2001, 05:49 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Taken form IR site:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>The abolition of the separate duty rate on higher-octane unleaded fuels will reduce the duty rate on Lead Replacement Petrol (LRP) and super-unleaded by up to 5 pence per litre. This follows from an environmental assessment that showed that higher-octane fuel such as LRP is generally no more polluting than ordinary unleaded. From 6pm today, duty on this petrol will be levied according to its sulphur and aromatics content. This will provide targeted assistance to those who need it: predominantly people driving older cars that are locked into buying LRP. It will also encourage oil companies to produce this fuel to the ultra-low sulphur specification. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 07 March 2001, 05:53 PM
Rob W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cool!!
About time
Rob
Old 07 March 2001, 05:59 PM
stage 1
Scooby Regular

Phew!
Old 07 March 2001, 06:02 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice, but bu66er, I filled up last night

Old 07 March 2001, 09:15 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

About time...

Old 07 March 2001, 09:16 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Marvellous news!!!!!!!!

Old 07 March 2001, 09:24 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Angry

SUL's not just more expensive because of higher duty. Oil companies also add on a few extra pence per litre because they know that the kind of people who buy SUL will still buy it even if its a bit more expensive. So the point is, I doubt whether the price will fall much.

Its not just the government whose screwing motorists.

D.
Old 07 March 2001, 09:35 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

DJB,
Considering the government is charging 80%+ in TAX.....I would say they ARE screwing us!!!! more than anybody for anything!!!!

If we were only taxed at 17.5% on fuel, do you really think we would moan then???!!!

In this case, I think we can safely say that THE companys are not the point of concern!!!!

Shaun.
Old 07 March 2001, 10:16 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much - I had to fill up tomorrow anyway

Matt.
Old 07 March 2001, 10:19 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Agreed Shaun,

People are too quick to blame the oil companies, when it is really the govt who are screwing us.
To think that in an 80p litre, the government has about 60p in tax, the franchiser gets about 2-4p and the oil company gets the rest. I cant believe it when they have the cheek to blame the oil co's. They don't even re-invest it in the bloody roads!

Car tax, vat on fuel, vat on parts, vat on f**cking vat.

I feel less stressed now....

[This message has been edited by bennetm (edited 07 March 2001).]
Old 07 March 2001, 10:40 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Ok I agree that it is good that the price of SUL is to be cut, but you only have to look at the price of lrp which I thought was taxed at the same rate as SUL and dearer to produce than lrp, yet is cheaper than SUL.

Also Super is much less widely available and no supermarket near me sells it, presumably meaning there is less competition and less pressure on prices.

Still we pay far too much tax on all petrol, say paying VAT and 10-20 % TAX for environmental redevelopment would be fairer to the motorist.

A problem unfortunately, I feel we (as motorists) have so far failed to make any big difference on.

Jon
Old 07 March 2001, 10:51 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

I was not defending government policy on motorists - far from it.

My point is that oil companies cash in on the fact that Super Unleaded is, in their eyes, a luxury item. I know this because at my local Esso garage, when the price of UL fell, the price of SUL remained the same. The franchiser explained that the oil company determined the price differential and had decided that despite a fall in the price of oil, the price of SUL would remain the same i.e. more profit for Esso.

D.
Old 07 March 2001, 10:58 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

People are too quick to blame the oil companies, when it is really the govt who are screwing us.

Sorry mate - are you living on a different planet. Oil companies make huge profits ripping us all off. The price of oil fell by 30% recently - so the kind caring oil companies knocked a whopping 1-2p a litre off for us!

And you say we are to quick to kick them - we should do like in France and the US and boycott the pumps!!!!

DO you work for shell or BP?

Jza
Old 07 March 2001, 10:59 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate - are you living on a different planet. Oil companies make huge profits ripping us all off. The price of oil fell by 30% recently - so the kind caring oil companies knocked a whopping 1-2p a litre off for us!

And you say we are to quick to kick them - we should do like in France and the US and boycott the pumps!!!!

Jza
Old 08 March 2001, 12:07 AM
Orville
Scooby Regular

It amazes me how many people complain about fuel prices and then buy a brande new car that only averages 20mpg. If everyone was so worried about paying 80-90p per litre for fuel, why do we not all drive fuel efficient cars.
Old 08 March 2001, 12:14 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Orville,

So you are happy to pay 80% in TAX on fuel? and pay VAT on top of the other TAX? Maybe you wouldn't mind paying some of the TAX on my fuel bills?

Moray
Old 08 March 2001, 12:17 AM
dingy
Scooby Regular

75.9 for SUL....

i'm goin out in the cossie tonite
Old 08 March 2001, 07:02 AM
Jon Jonzz
Scooby Regular

Also, I am surprised at the price differences for superunleaded.

On Tuesday (i.e. before the Budget), the price for SUL was 81.9p/litre at one Shell garage, and 10 miles away, 88.9p/litre at another Shell garage. Might be a case of local competition. I have not seen other petrol suppliers try to match Sainsbury's 81.9p/litre (or 77.9p with a shopping voucher).
Old 08 March 2001, 07:56 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw two prices for SUL as I drove into work today. Sainsbury's had it for 81.5p (down from 83.5p before the budget, but back to the level it was at before it was announced that the budget would reduce it by 2p ).
The other was a Shell garage that had it for 77.9p. I've never used Shell, but it looks like it's gonna happen soon.....

Still a lot of ripping off happening out there though.
Old 08 March 2001, 08:14 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 08 March 2001).]
Old 08 March 2001, 08:16 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jza:
<B>People are too quick to blame the oil companies, when it is really the govt who are screwing us.

Jza[/quote]

Am afraid it is you that is living on a different planet. The oil price is a forward purchase for delivery in 6 months. Oil companies do change the price (up and down) immediatly for political reasons.

That being said the 1-2p reduction you speak of IS near enough 30% the oil company makes.

IIRC out of a 78p/l price, c62p goes to the labia (Fuel duty and VAT), c12p is oil company costs (raw materials/refining/delivery/overheads etc) with 4p profit to be split between producer and retailer.

THUS oil (raw material) goes down by 30%, the companys' costs will reduce by less than 1-2p.

The Oil Companies may make $millions but very little comes from profit from petrol 'production' and sales. Less than 1% of Shell's profits come from refining and retailing petrol, AND, IIRC Shell make less profit out of petrol refining/sales in the UK than ANY other country in the world.

There is only one reason fuel is so expensive in this country, and that is the c600% tax we pay!

...and no I don't work for Shell or any oil company. Just don't like untruths/propaganda being put about by a New Labia sympathiser

And typical SUL drops three weeks after I sell my SUL-only car
Old 08 March 2001, 08:24 AM
matt_d
Scooby Regular

JZA - yes, the price didn't come down much when oil fell 30%, but it also didn't rise 260% like oil did when it moved from $10 to $36. The price of oil only accounts for around 10% of the cost of petrol, the majority is Tony Tax, Value Added Theft & then a small amount for delivery & production costs, plus about 2-4p a litre profit for the oil companies. What a bunch of vultures eh?
Old 08 March 2001, 10:42 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
GaryC and Matt_d,

Thanks for replying!!! As soon as I saw JZA's response to my initial comments....I was starting to foam at the mouth!!!!! But you 2 got there first!!

Perhaps a good point for EVERYONE!!! Make sure you CHECK your FACTS before you post!!! It makes life that much nicer......and stops my blood pressure from reaching 20000psi!!!!

Shaun.
Old 08 March 2001, 11:23 AM
PeterJ
Scooby Regular

Agree with above points re Oil companies making little money from the Pump. There is some speculation in fact that the majors are going to pull out of retailing all together.

However, consider this, Petrol drops to 20p per litre. How many extra cars does this put on the road??
Old 08 March 2001, 01:37 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Agree with Orville.

You choose an Impreza, not reknown for their fuel economy.

If it was SUCH an issue then you should have considered it.

Not that I agree with the level of duty, I dont, but thats why we elcet these chimps to take a balanced view.

Let face it, to be honest why do you need a car that gets to 60 in under 6 seconds, and can do around 150mph. Why 4wd? if we all drove more safely you wouldnt really need it.

robski
Old 08 March 2001, 01:43 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dingy:
[B]75.9 for SUL....

You serious about the price m8? I paid 84.9 last night!! (just gone down from 86.9!! )

Old 08 March 2001, 01:56 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

yes mate, was 77 last night, today is cheaper still.....
I can't believe it myself....

its play time

Old 08 March 2001, 02:44 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

MorayMackenzie

We all want to earn as much money and pay as little tax as possible. All reducing petrol tax means is that we will pay more tax on something else. I'd rather see higher taxes on petrol, **** and booze than directly on my income. Atleast this way I get more choice on what I spend my money on.

I bought a Scoob knowing that it had crap fuel economy, poor emissions, and with the knowledge that fuel prices will always go up (oil is not a renewable resource). You can't have your cake and eat it.
Old 08 March 2001, 03:03 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

GaryC and Shaun,

The two of you should go on TV - so i could turn the ****ing thing off!

You boring sad old women!!! - getting all het up in defence of the Billions of $ profit making Oil companies!!!!

I just pointed out that oil companies make huge profits - and should not be looked on as the "good guys" in all this!! They screw us just like the government!!! And they could have cut oil prices but made a token jesture. They could always reduce there huge profits by lowering the price if they wanted to - but they dont as they are in this to make money!!!!

As you will see i made no political comments in my post - as enough had been said on the matter. We get screwed by everyone on petrol! I dont disagree with that!!! So dont label me in any political sense ok!!!

Jza
Old 08 March 2001, 03:33 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

Oh, yes, Jza you are such an ungrateful ba$tard.

Those triffic people at the oil companies go to all that trouble to refine, deliver and pump petrol for our benefit and what thanks do they get?

Criticism for profiteering from assorted gob$hite drivers!

Why, it almost makes me want to pay them for doing it.

Erm..............

Quick Reply: Super Unleaded: Duty reduction