Potential STI purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2010, 11:11 AM
skeeter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential STI purchase questions

Hi,

am looking to swap my current car for something that feels quick but is cheaper to run, my current favourite is an 06/56/07 STI Type UK (2.5l). I drove a 55 plated one and was very surprised at just how comfortable the ride was; I was expecting it to be harsh and crashy and it just wasnt.

A couple of questions;

1) typical mpg over mixed driving?
2) servicing intervals? is this 12000 or 12 months?
3) are these cars reliable or do I need to make sure I get one with a pukka subaru warranty?
4) the interior of the one I drove felt well screwed together albeit not the best quality I have ever seen/felt, do they last well?

thanks

S
Old 04 July 2010, 11:22 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Its not often you hear the words 'quick' and 'cheaper to run' used in the same sentence

Good luck lol
Old 04 July 2010, 11:25 AM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

Cheap to run, eh NO. MPG anything between 10-25 on V-power etc. If you are prepared to pay for the extreme pleasure of owning an awesome machine. Then go for it fella, if not buy a ford rs, astra vxr etc.
Old 04 July 2010, 11:26 AM
skeeter
Scooby Regular

true - but compared to my current car (E60 M5) most things are cheaper to run!

S
Old 04 July 2010, 11:30 AM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

You wont get the build quality of your BMW, why are you thinking of changing cars.
Old 04 July 2010, 11:41 AM
skeeter
Scooby Regular

I have had the m5 for 2 years and it has been fantastic. I am now getting bored of it, and to be honest you cant really use it on the roads to anything like its potential.

So, decided to buy something 'cheap' to run around in for 6 months or so and that is a little more involved but something that will significantly reduce the costs of motoring.

I have tried;
- an evo viii fq 320 which was fast, but hard as hell to live with
- I dont like the focus styling, too bland
- tried a lotus elise and europa, but am too old to be able to get in and out of!

The STI seems the best compromise, I can pick one up with low miles for sensible cash, feels quick enough and I quite like the styling (so long as it doesnt have gold wheels).

S
Old 04 July 2010, 11:48 AM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

I think the Sti is the best of a bad bunch. Very easy to get a lot more power out of.
Old 04 July 2010, 09:21 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Subaru build quality (and certainly reliability) is far better than BMW in my humble opinion, based on experience of owning both makes of car. The reliabilty issue has been researched in depth by Warrany Direct a couple of years ago. In fact, Mercs, BMW's and Audis have more warranty claims in the first 3 years of ownership than Subaru.

I owned an M3 and a 330d M sport, both dreadful in cost at BMW dealerships for servicing and parts in comparison to Subaru. (of which I am on my 7th now, and find servicing costs very reasonable). As for running day to day, it costs me £57 to fill up, and I get around 200 miles, irrespective of how I drive.

May I suggest a real STI, which would be a JDM, Japanese Domestic Model? You would need to drive one though!

Greg
Old 05 July 2010, 04:24 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
Subaru build quality (and certainly reliability) is far better than BMW in my humble opinion, based on experience of owning both makes of car. The reliabilty issue has been researched in depth by Warrany Direct a couple of years ago. In fact, Mercs, BMW's and Audis have more warranty claims in the first 3 years of ownership than Subaru.

I owned an M3 and a 330d M sport, both dreadful in cost at BMW dealerships for servicing and parts in comparison to Subaru. (of which I am on my 7th now, and find servicing costs very reasonable). As for running day to day, it costs me £57 to fill up, and I get around 200 miles, irrespective of how I drive.

May I suggest a real STI, which would be a JDM, Japanese Domestic Model? You would need to drive one though!

Greg
is that as a % of how many sold then, its just that to every scoob there must be 10 times (easily) that amount of beemers, mercs and audis out there.
Old 05 July 2010, 10:18 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by skeeter
my current favourite is an 06/56/07 STI
The Hawkeye is also my favourite Scoob
typical mpg over mixed driving?
18-27mpg
my current favourite is an 06/56/07 STI Type UK (2.5l).
are these cars reliable or do I need to make sure I get one with a pukka subaru warranty?
yes for a 2.5ltr

The 2.5ltr have had issue with head gasket and Piston ring land failure.

Originally Posted by GREGGYG

Greg
I agree and JDM still retains the very reliable 2.0ltr engine.

IMHO

Tony
Old 05 July 2010, 11:49 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by my06 ppp silver
is that as a % of how many sold then, its just that to every scoob there must be 10 times (easily) that amount of beemers, mercs and audis out there.

He's right as my misses works for car care plan and they underwrite the 3rd year warranty for most the dealers in the UK and subaru are one of the most reliable cars. However over the last two years they have had alot of claims for impreza's with engine failure.

I would go for a JDM sti or SPEC C if you can!

Immy