Sponsored by:

Chips Away - Any good ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2010, 05:30 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chips Away - Any good ?

Has anyone had any experience of using Chips Away for a repair? I've got a chip on my front bumper which measures about 5mm long by 3mm wide and I want it removing. Some people might say use a touch up paint for such a small repair but from past experience it never looks right.
Old 30 June 2010, 06:29 PM
tom g
Scooby Regular

crap, i work at a bodyshop and we get lots of repairs to look at , most of that type can be wiped off with a solvent rag ! . pay a little extra [not always] and have it done correctly with the right materials. its car sales lots that use this type of job, because they do it on site and it does not have to last.
Old 30 June 2010, 06:39 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I,ve had this type of repair. At first it looks good, but about a month later you can see where the repair has been done. Best to pay a bit more for a proper repair.
Old 30 June 2010, 06:54 PM
wayner845
Scooby Regular

I watched this being done next door to me a few years ago and it looked very professional they had all kinds of kit heat lamps etc .Anyway i went to work whilst they continued and didnt get to see what they were doing exactly.The next time i saw the car i'm not sure what they had done but it was awfull,i think the guy had taken too much paint or laquer off with compound .It looked a mess would need a respray to repair.
Old 30 June 2010, 09:58 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

My wifes Fiesta bumper (metallic blue) was badly scratched/scuffed by some plonker and she had a Chips away guy from Bradford. He did a brilliant job, you would be hard pressed to see its been repaired. I guess it might come down to just who does the job.

Originally Posted by scoobie elf
Has anyone had any experience of using Chips Away for a repair? I've got a chip on my front bumper which measures about 5mm long by 3mm wide and I want it removing. Some people might say use a touch up paint for such a small repair but from past experience it never looks right.
Old 01 July 2010, 01:39 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Chips away is a franchise.

So the quality of job work you get will depend on the individual doing it. Repairs can be done to a good standard.

However, the durability may not be as good, and as mentioned, be careful with the cellulose thinnners (I made that mistake once when using some to remove tar off the sills on one of my old cars - oh, hello, paint's wiped off, a chips away repair, credit due, I didn't realise it had been done until that happened ).
Old 01 July 2010, 03:58 AM
darrell77
Scooby Newbie

i have tried Chips Away and the guy who did my bumper was good and i suggest to a friend to try it Chips away too but the repair can be seen.. i guess it depends on the guy..

Trending Topics

Old 01 July 2010, 09:52 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

they did a scuff on mine, and tbh did a very good job...over a year now, and i cant even remember where it was....