Sponsored by:

2005 type25 question ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2010, 11:06 AM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 type25 question ?

Hello people I've been without a sti now for two years and well I'm bored I've seen a 2005reg type 25 in gun metal grey that I like but as I'm at work I can't find much out on the model and what makes the type 25 special !! So if any of you could just tell me the difference between the type 25 and a normal sti that would be great id llike to go test drive it tonight but want to know abit more about if first !! Thanks
Old 30 June 2010, 11:12 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search function is your friend or failing that look on Litchfield Imports website.
Old 30 June 2010, 11:18 AM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

I would but I havnt got a very good Internet coverage as I'm work in the middle of a field and it takes takes to load up on my phone!!
Old 30 June 2010, 11:32 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by howellsy42
I would but I havnt got a very good Internet coverage as I'm work in the middle of a field and it takes takes to load up on my phone!!
no wifi in yer tractor cab matey eh?
Old 30 June 2010, 11:37 AM
RICKSTER555
Scooby Regular

Just go and drive it, fantastic car really couldn't believe just how differently they are set up to a standard sti. Book the test drive go and enjoy it and then enjoy reading all the fantastic press about them when you get home. I loved mine to bits, they pull like a train and handle so well. A call to Ian at Litchfields would be a good idea as they designed and made them.
Old 30 June 2010, 12:54 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

This page is relatively lightweight...
http://www.litimports.co.uk/emailer/14.01.04/

In one sentence, it's based on a JDM STI, has twin scroll exhaust, no burble, with 2.5 US short block, JDM head, VF37 hybrid turbo, Milltek exhaust (could be either 2" or 3"), AST adjustable suspension, Whiteline rollbars, links, anti-lift kit, different castor angle, different gearing, driver controlled diff, rear washwipe, intercooler spray....

Be aware that a 5 year old car may have enough miles on it to require some work, as I found out (piston slap, Huge oil consumption) - one rebuild later...

Also, check if the AST suspension has been serviced / rebuilt. Apparently, it should be done every 40k miles. Only Curtis at AST can do this, so factor in cost of labour, time, travel, etc.
It may be difficult to tell just by driving it, at the moment in the warm weather, but it crunches and graunches in the last cold spell we had (I'm assuming everything expands at normal temp).
Old 30 June 2010, 02:18 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Bought one and althogh I have no complaints about handling I feel it needed another 50 bhp to make it feel the same as my old p1 with a few choice mods. The newer sti's are heavier with more weight above the waist, one of the reasons I think the mk2 came with 415bhp, not knocking the car as it did hold up well I know bigfud clocked his best time round the ring. I found the power was instant next to no lag but with that in mind I found in very linear, for me I like the bit where you feel it building then bang full boost, pushed into the seat and away you go, which is what I find to get in a single scroll setup (I may be wrong)

Are the worth more than a STD jdm sti now they are 5 years old, I'm not sure as said the AST can go and need rebuilding (not cheap) a few have let go and need rebuilding see above poster and bigfuds went. Now for the money a newer hawkeye spec c might get my vote

If you have found one, forget the Internet call Iain he is more then helpful, give him the build number and he will fill in all the details for you.

All the above is my opinion, no offence to Litchfield or any owners, in fact I would actualy buy another but treat it to one of his new turbos amongst other bits but it would have to be a hawkeye

Last edited by stevie1982; 30 June 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 30 June 2010, 02:25 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

Arent some of the mk1 t25's spec c's? Im fairly sure they are.
Old 30 June 2010, 02:27 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Yes they a Mifo it depends on how they were ordered as the t20 and t25'could be based on either, not often a spec c version comes up though
Old 30 June 2010, 02:43 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats the thing with the linear power Steve, doesnt feel quick but it is

To the OP, drive one if you can, either way I dont think you will be disappointed, just dont live on the burble and it will be ok, most new age twin scroll owners prefer the sound their car makes over the burble anyway, real rally car sound, jet fighter style

Tony
Old 30 June 2010, 04:33 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Details in post #6 are correct, except it is either 2.75" or 3" for the exhaust - I believe only the Hawkeye Cosworth models got the 3". Piston slap is certainly loud on mine, but it doesn't use oil like some (I ran it in very carefully). All will need head gaskets around 30,000 (just had mine done). ASTs still OK though, as confirmed at the recent service at PowerStation.

Fantastic car overall, but as said above, drive one and find out for yourself.
Old 30 June 2010, 07:05 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns

To the OP, drive one if you can, either way I dont think you will be disappointed, just dont live on the burble and it will be ok, most new age twin scroll owners prefer the sound their car makes over the burble anyway, real rally car sound, jet fighter style

Tony
I bought an 05 JDM Sti 2 months ago and love the sound and linear power. I,ve owned 4 classics previously, my last a MY00 UK classic with about 340 bhp,but the JDM is a much better car to drive.
Old 30 June 2010, 07:16 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

ive got the test drive booked for saturday morning so il wait and see how that does the garage that have it say its got a folder full of paper work and the millage is 23k
Old 30 June 2010, 09:39 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns

Tony
I don't discard that Tony and 100% agree when you look down at the speedo it is frightening how fast you are going, and for me I missed that flat four burble although the sound was spot on it was not the flat four I love about the subaru
Old 30 June 2010, 10:00 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a promising low mileage example...enjoy

Iain will also give an honest opinion about whether work is needed, plus any limitations of the standard US block, with the hypereutectic pistons, oem rods and standard sleeve bearing turbo, etc.

For me, even though mine could have gone on indefinitely burning oil and sounding like a taxi, I wanted a forged short block for reliability and to support any future tweaks - 3 port solenoid makes a big difference in response, as would in-gear mapping - and it's quiet...